drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
When using a 7kg Calor cylinder we encountered a problem. We could use our heater or our cooker including our oven but not both. we at first thought we were running out of gas but by not using all of our appliances we were able to do most of the Easter weekend. On the Monday we changed the cylinder to a full one and the problem dissapeared. My question is I thought that the gas expanding in the cylinder plus the use of a regulator this problem should not have occured. Has anybody got an explanation for this and a possiable cure.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
When using a 7kg Calor cylinder we encountered a problem. We could use our heater or our cooker including our oven but not both. we at first thought we were running out of gas but by not using all of our appliances we were able to do most of the Easter weekend. On the Monday we changed the cylinder to a full one and the problem dissapeared. My question is I thought that the gas expanding in the cylinder plus the use of a regulator this problem should not have occured. Has anybody got an explanation for this and a possiable cure.

Thoughts would be gooey Regulator? although not a gas expert, I did have a similar thing, but can only explain the cure of the new bottle being the regulator cleared a bit?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I doubt there is anything wrong with the regulator.

Were you using Butane ( blue bottle ) or propane ( red bottle ) ?

If butane that is most probably the problem.. it was too cold for it to produce sufficient gas when the demand was high , changing to propane should solve this..

However, the amount of gas available from a bottle ( butane or propane ) also depends on the volume of liquid gas, as a bottle depletes the production of gas vapour reduces .. it is also dependent on the bottle temperature .. as you were using the heater in the van, I presume it was quite cold.

If it was propane you were using you could , provided you have space, try a 13kg bottle of propane.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I doubt there is anything wrong with the regulator.

Were you using Butane ( blue bottle ) or propane ( red bottle ) ?

If butane that is most probably the problem.. it was too cold for it to produce sufficient gas when the demand was high , changing to propane should solve this..

However, the amount of gas available from a bottle ( butane or propane ) also depends on the volume of liquid gas, as a bottle depletes the production of gas vapour reduces .. it is also dependent on the bottle temperature .. as you were using the heater in the van, I presume it was quite cold.

If it was propane you were using you could , provided you have space, try a 13kg bottle of propane.

sorry, naturally assumed propane. Do people actually still bother with butane?

OP
OP
D

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi I was using the blue bottles but didn't think that it was that cold but will change to the red cylinders as this may solve the problem.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi I was using the blue bottles but didn't think that it was that cold but will change to the red cylinders as this may solve the problem.

As Jim says, most likely then if you were on Butane, it was rather cold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back