The Six Career Strategies - which one are you? (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I received this in a blog post from Christ Croft Training - he's a really inspirational person too!

See which one you're on (but not if you're retired already of course).

The six career strategies.png

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks, for the responses; I really didn't expect you to tell me where you are though!

In the spirit of sharing, I have been black; I'm now purple but wished I was grey.
But I am working on it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I started as grey, even from day 1 of my working life wanting to retire at 50. (Saw too many older relatives dying within a range of weeks to a few years after retiring at 65)

So my strategy was then Black, into Red and got out at 54...4 years later than my plan hatched at 18, but those 4 years made a massive difference to the result from the Red box....

Interesting thing though is that there’s no right or wrong answer, many of the Black years were hell and no guarantee I’d not die/get killed before 50 anyway. (I did nearly die at 35 but when I recovered that just spurred me on to make sure I got out of working early!)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Start with.. job you enjoy with good pay and benefits... Can't see that on there....

In fact I'd argue that "corporate slave" isn't the only way to earn good money and not be self-employed. Actually I don't think I agree with any of these bubbles - the implication is that we choose one path and the outcome is necessarily as suggested. We're all more complex than that these days - perhaps combining more than one bubble and varying that combination through our lives. Most "inspirational speakers" I've had the misfortune to listen to appear to succeed by simplifying life to some "essential messages" that they then sell as key concepts - life isn't simple.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's a lot missing from that.

Start with.. job you enjoy with good pay and benefits... Can't see that on there....

That's what I did more or less, with a couple of years of miserable jobs in the middle, then early retirement.(y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Most "inspirational speakers" I've had the misfortune to listen to appear to success by simplifying life to some "essential messages" that they then sell as key concepts - life isn't simple.

Agree - they do say that those who can, do - and those that can’t, teach...most business consultants I came across had never actually run a business but had a degree in BS ( business studies although Bull sh1t would be just as appropriate) so knew everything...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mine's not on the chart, which appears to assume private sector only, but later I retired early and now I do lower paid but enjoyable jobs.

Agree - they do say that those who can, do - and those that can’t, teach...

Well 'they' are talking utter bollocks - always have been, and always will be. The personal qualities and skills required to be a teacher are perfectly sound for many other lines of work, including business.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Of course I meant "isn't" --- still no edit function!
There is an "edit post" function but it times out (expires) after a certain period of time from originally posting (don't know how long it is though)

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Agree - they do say that those who can, do - and those that can’t, teach...most business consultants I came across had never actually run a business but had a degree in BS ( business studies although Bull sh1t would be just as appropriate) so knew everything...

My experience of consultants is all they do is ask you loads of questions. Of course, the answers you give generally form the basis of their report so they've done their job; told you that you knew what to do all along.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
There's a lot missing from that.

Could that be orange maybe (just change the title to "job you enjoy with good pay and benefits")

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
My experience of consultants is all they do is ask you loads of questions. Of course, the answers you give generally form the basis of their report so they've done their job; told you that you knew what to do all along.
Indeed - a guy I used to work with told a consultant that all he had done was ask to borrow our watch so he could tell us the time...and charge us £750 a day for the pleasure!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
There is a 7th one, probably not so much a "strategy" of choice. Either that or on benefits.

The stressful and precarious zero hours job (aka bogus self-employment) - corporate slave, poor pay, no pension.

It's the not-so-very-enjoyable gig economy, folks. Very popular with disruptor tech businesses that see people as the short term cheap alternative to robots, until the falling cost of robots, driverless vehicles, and AI undercuts the minimum wage and makes human workers superfluous.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
CON + INSULT = CONSULTANT.

JJ :cool:

Do consultants consult and if so surely they are picking your brains, so how can they charge a fortune for consulting you over something ?.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So what's the difference between a trainer/tutor and a consultant then?

Presumably both go into a roomful of people and try to move them forwards with the benefit of their knowledge and experience. Obviously the rate of success varies from person to person but aren't they all doing the same thing underneath it all?

Are some people naturally resistant to consultants because they can't cope with change, or are all consultants automatically bad at what they do?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I recently heard someone who had followed his career path from school as it evolved from computer gaming to writing computer games. As he said, "if you do a job you love, you never have to work a day in your life"
Can't argue with that. (y)

Wyn

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We had McKinsey in about 15 years ago. As stated above, famous for borrowing your watch to tell you the time and then charging for it. Briefed my boss on the discussions I had with the snot nosed spotty MBA kid, which was just as well since he presented my business plans to the board as his own idea. My boss shot him down in flames.

My consultancy work consists of being asked questions (some of them very searching and incisive) about what is a very narrow field and me giving answers based on experience and being current with marine fuels and fuel testing. Enjoyable but I only tell 80% of what it know............

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
CON + INSULT = CONSULTANT.

JJ :cool:
I don’t think so.......

That is the route to a very short lived career in consultancy. Good consultancy provides great value for money and demand for services. Poor consultants are very quickly found out and end up with no work

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Grey for me & thoroughly enjoying retirement & it should get better when I get a very arthritic hip replaced, but it was the bad hip that convinced me to retire.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Good consultancy provides great value for money and demand for services. Poor consultants are very quickly found out and end up with no work

And like the proverbial good plumber, a good consultant will get repeat work on recommendation alone and will have to turn people down due to a full diary.

At the risk of upsetting a few cherished apple carts, my other half was a teacher (groan, can't do, so teaches) for 15 years including time in senior leadership and advisory work. When she got fed up with her boss she handed her notice in with no other job to go to and set up a consultancy business (what?! a teacher going into business? Don't make me laugh). Now nearly ten years further down the line she has headteachers praising her for helping to guide them to good Inspection reports, has classroom teachers greeting her like an old friend (surely not, consultants know nothing relevant to the troops), and has student teachers eating out of her hand when she trains them. Most of her work is repeat work and she has so much of it she has to turn people away just to have a breather. She's worked all over the country. She still works directly with children in the classroom in a spin off business venture (no, no, heresy, teachers can't do business, and consultants never go on the shop floor) that we set up together and it's doing very nicely thank you. She doesn't get on with everybody - she has tough days in schools where some staff, usually middle-aged and set in their ways, are resistant to change and/or are being badly led and misdirected by their managers. She has enough happy clients to not bother returning to such places.

Like everybody I've been on hopeless training days with hopeless consultants and tedious trainers and endless sodding Powerpoints during my career. I've also been on some bloody excellent ones with people whom I've found inspiring. There's good and bad in every line of work. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back