Tracker Update - December 2017 (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,

I have a Tracker installed on my MH because the insurance company require it. To be honest, I reckon I would have one installed anyway.

This is why.
Tracker data Dec 2017.png

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
mmm I'm not sure if I agree. I have a Thatcham Cat 5 fitted, and you will be the same as no one will insure a MORELO without one. My policy is new for old within the first 24 months of ownership. If it was stolen would I really want it back given it may have potential damage which would need to be repaired, and in my opinion once a motorhome is damaged its almost impossible to get it back to original condition. Therefore, I would prefer if I were to be unfortunate enough to have it stolen to never see it again and have the insurer provide me with a nice new van direct from the factory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
mmm I'm not sure if I agree. I have a Thatcham Cat 5 fitted, and you will be the same as no one will insure a MORELO without one. My policy is new for old within the first 24 months of ownership. If it was stolen would I really want it back given it may have potential damage which would need to be repaired, and in my opinion once a motorhome is damaged its almost impossible to get it back to original condition. Therefore, I would prefer if I were to be unfortunate enough to have it stolen to never see it again and have the insurer provide me with a nice new van direct from the factory.

The only argument I can find against that, is the fact that we, and I would suspect most, do have some items of a personal nature in the `van which would be irreplaceable, It would be nice to get THEM back.

BTW. it is alleged, that many stolen vans are taken and parked in (say) an industrial estate for up to 24hrs, so the thieves can be sure there are no hidden tracking devices before moving it to the ultimate destination?. If that where to be the case then recovery in the first 24, might incur the least damage?. Ours is currently kept behind a locked gate on the driveway with another vehicle in front of it. And covered by up to 4 CCTV camera`s before it reaches the first turn. (ours and 2 neighbours) that's if they can start it!.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
They don’t transmit from concrete buildings or steel containers I’ve been led to believe.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years

Attachments

• 25E954B4-0618-4C32-9C09-4D3F28F3EBB4.png
    25E954B4-0618-4C32-9C09-4D3F28F3EBB4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
They don’t transmit from concrete buildings or steel containers I’ve been led to believe.

Ah ha! Now, this I do know. They can do that.

There is only one product on the commercial market that can do this and it's the one I have fitted. It's super clever; read: expensive and that's why the Police use the same Tracker system - (police are even supplied the equipment free of charge by Tracker) which uses both the normal GSM/GPS cell tower system for locating assets but (and this is the important bit) it also has a Radio Frequency (RF) transmitter system that can transmit a signal from within a shipping container or say, an underground car park; less effectively though of course. Remember too, once reported stolen, the automatic location system, which normally doesn't do very much in terms of sending its position data (as that costs money to do over GSM) is switched on by Tracker so that the device sends location data every few seconds. so even if it is taken underground or put in a steel box, police have its' last location and route data. A useful function for cars of course but maybe not so useful for MH's.

The latest Trackers come with an app for your phone so that you can check on its' status, battery voltage, and even find it yourself if you have been careless enough to lose track of where you left it! :)

You can now GeoFence your MH too. Using the app you place a circle around it on a live map for say a few hundred metres, as soon as your MH leaves that area it sends emails and text messages to your phone and shows its' location on a live map. Really useful if you were away for the day somewhere and it was stolen. I suppose if it were to be stolen, you could even follow it yourself (if you had another means of transport) to support the cops getting it back quickly.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Are you on commission or something? :LOL:

But yes, agreed, Tracker with their RF (UHF?) system takes some serious beating (y)

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I wish I was on commission! I could do with a discount off their charges!:eek:

No, not at all but Tracker were offering a £200 discount through Hiscox insurance and to be honest, I wouldn't know who else does such a good service. Sure there are many out there but when you have such a huge investment you shouldn't really take any risks in my view.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
got a Smart Tracker fitted on my N+B because the insurance company insisted on it. I have an app on my phone that allows me to see where the van is at any time which is great...

It now means that when I go out and get pissed I can find it afterwards which is just amazing and worth every penny...

ha ha.... now you may laugh but seriously... When I go off and do a marathon and turn up on my scooter I forget what little CL Nikki has booked us in to, so I am hoping that using this app will show me where I need to go when I finish!!!!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have you checked which countries it covers?
Exactly which tracker havd you got as will need one for my new mh.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Most of the "Trackers" I have seen (Phantom etc;) have an annual fee.:( The one I have, nothing like quite so sophisticated perhaps, is Free for life Uses GPS and GSM.(y) With a Gif-Gaf sim card, so the texts cost me nothing.(y) I can still sit in the pub and see where I am! (or supposed to be?).(y) BTW, in order not be be able to "see" an R-F. You need to create A "Faraday" cage which must be well earthed. Years ago with the I-Mar-E we visited a Marconi research establishment. And they explained how it worked, they used it to conduct tests on experimental Radio equipment without interfering with the rest of the site.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If it hinders the thieves........and I've camped at many places that dont have a phone signal both uk and abroad.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I think in terms of compliance with Thatcham CAT 5 License it needs to have RF (UHF) functionality.

The function that worries me with mine is the journey manager. You can look back at a calendar and select each journey made on a particular day. On each day you can see on a map the journey made along with the speed the vehicle was doing every 10 minutes. I really don't want a record of my speed being recorded.

When my system was installed they were offering a deal on the annual fee which was a one of payment of 550GBP for lifetime of ownership of the vehicle. I think the annual fee is 200GBP per annum, so if I keep the vehicle just over two years Im quids in. Track record of last 4 vans shows I may have been better off doing the annual fee. However, current plan (hear the other half saying "how many times have I heard this") is to keep the MORELO for a number of years.

Mmm why am I doing my C License training...that Empire Liner keeps calling out at me :) and once we retire in a few months it will almost be our home. No no no the plan is to keep the Palace LOL

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
you can see on a map the journey made along with the speed the vehicle was doing every 10 minutes. I really don't want a record of my speed being recorded

You don't really have a choice as your speed can be deduced by the distance travelled and the time it took to get there anyway :)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
and I've camped at many places that dont have a phone signal both uk and abroad
From research I've done, it seems that not having a VOICE or DATA phone connection doesn't necessarily mean there is no connection at all.
ISTR reading that SMS / other sub-systems (such as call connection signalling &c.) are much more capable of being accessible. Can't find my references just now, and I have to go do something else (my wife says...)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
You don't really have a choice as your speed can be deduced by the distance travelled and the time it took to get there anyway :)

I requested the function be removed and the tracking company agreed. It was an option I think is used for fleet vehicles and hire vans etc. An alarm can be set to trigger a message if the vehicle exceeds a pre defined speed etc. Good if you want to add a surcharge for excessive speeding or you want to monitor your employees.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017

And, if you have a Smartphone (which I believe 97% of people with phones do), it will be tracking your distance over time
anyway

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think in terms of compliance with Thatcham CAT 5 License it needs to have RF (UHF) functionality.

The function that worries me with mine is the journey manager. You can look back at a calendar and select each journey made on a particular day. On each day you can see on a map the journey made along with the speed the vehicle was doing every 10 minutes. I really don't want a record of my speed being recorded.

When my system was installed they were offering a deal on the annual fee which was a one of payment of 550GBP for lifetime of ownership of the vehicle. I think the annual fee is 200GBP per annum, so if I keep the vehicle just over two years Im quids in. Track record of last 4 vans shows I may have been better off doing the annual fee. However, current plan (hear the other half saying "how many times have I heard this") is to keep the MORELO for a number of years.

Mmm why am I doing my C License training...that Empire Liner keeps calling out at me :) and once we retire in a few months it will almost be our home. No no no the plan is to keep the Palace LOL
Your C license will give you a great set of extra skills and understanding of big vehicles whether over 7.5 or not, and with no pressure to pass you can enjoy the experience. We were at the factory yesterday and drove the 11 + metre Empire on the Mercedes chassis, like a car!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Mine has that facility, I think most do?. It requires an annual fee though, and as it`s feature I do not need I just stick with the free location.

It is a feature beloved by "Schedulers" though!.:rolleyes: I once got a phone call in the cab, asking what I was doing.?:( The answer being, "A 48mile detour, because the M1 was closed and I was overnight for the shortest Diversion"!:cry:. Reply, Oh!. OK!. We thought you where lost!, Lairy Barsteward.!:mad: The gaffer had a 40" Plasma on the office wall and could see where we all where!.(n)

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No

It is a feature beloved by "Schedulers" though!.:rolleyes: I once got a phone call in the cab, asking what I was doing.?:( The answer being, "A 48mile detour, because the M1 was closed and I was overnight for the shortest Diversion"!:cry:. Reply, Oh!. OK!. We thought you where lost!, Lairy Barsteward.!:mad: The gaffer had a 40" Plasma on the office wall and could see where we all where!.(n)

All the vehicles @ the coach firm are 'tracked' - "for operational reasons, of course", we are told :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
They get a little teasy when they phone me and ask where I am (am guessing there is something else needs doing!!)
The reply goes along the lines - "well, if I'm not where the tracker says I am, I guess I am lost !!" - CLICK :D:D:D:D
They stopped phoning (y)(y)(y););)

Do like the idea of being able to 'geo-fence' - when we park the motorhome anywhere

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Mine has that facility, I think most do?. It requires an annual fee though, and as it`s feature I do not need I just stick with the free location.

The last company I worked for had a telematics GPS system in all their vans and trucks. The MD scanned the printouts to see who was speeding (usually when a member of the public complained about aggressive or dangerous driving) or more relevantly who was telling porkies on their timesheets and skiving elsewhere when they were supposed to be on site. :whistle:

Has the wreck of MH370 been found? Trackers ... Satellites ... and yet ... :oops:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How does @eddievanbitz 's Non Start compare with the above systems...
It prevents the MoHo being started - It also shows the current location. It sends a sms if the alarm is triggered.
What I didn't know when I had it installed is that is also tracks your route [and comments on your driving style :confused:... gentle braking, cornering, hard acceleration etc

Screenshot_20180223-125001-600x1067.png

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back