Help! Van gone mad (1 Viewer)

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
hi guys
Can u please help, my van has started this afternoon locking and unlocking the cab doors. When my OH turned engine on the windscreen wash, wipers,indicators and headlights all came on at same time and we couldn't turn them off. We have now disconnected the vehicle battery and plan to reconnect in morning. Vehicle battery is showing 12.66v with a multi meter. Anyone any ideas as how to rectify. TIA
This is a fiat Ducato 2.2 2010 vehicle, helen

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we had that with a previous van, it was water in the fusebox under the bonnet, nearside wing. could also be an earth fault on the ecu, but my money is on water in the electrics

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A family of mice under the bonnet/dash.......they just lurve the sheathing on copper wires.

1/2 dozen chewed wires in the same bit of loom, turn on power to the wiring and loads of live to live shorts turning things on and off that shouldn't be turned on and off.

OP
OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Thanks both.
Don't think it's mice as van is moved weekly but will check anyway. OH was thinking about water and will check fuse box in the morning.
Helen

OP
OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
we had that with a previous van, it was water in the fusebox under the bonnet, nearside wing. could also be an earth fault on the ecu, but my money is on water in the electrics
Where is the ecu by the way?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Have you pressure washed it in any way, or had it done locally?

I'm going for damp as first thought. Good luck

OP
OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
it is. Will give an update tomorrow once more investigation undertaken.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you're gonna pull all the fuses to dry the fuse box, take a picture of them in position first to aid replacing them and maybe try clipping a jump lead between the battery negative terminal and a piece of bright metal on the engine or gearbox to eliminate a potential earth fault.

OP
OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi guys here's an update.
OH has taken the fuses out of fuse box to dry out, although it did seem quite dry and fuses now back in again.
Sprayed with WD40 water repellent around by fuse box area also.
Disconnected solar panel and also disconnected battery master and leisure batteries as wanted to completely isolate everything. Reconnected van battery and lights, washers, indicators all working as normal. But noticed central locking was still acting on its own. Ran the van for 15 minutes and central locking seemed ok. If it's started acting up will check van battery again. Also found one of the leisure batteries was down at 10v the other is fine. Have not reconnected battery master as would like to keep things separate for the next few weeks as this will determine if van battery has had it.
Thanks for all your help, suggestions and advice.
Was unable to locate earth strap which should connect to gear box, is mine invisible ? Also if central locking starts acting up again will try to figure out how to lock doors with the central locking fuse removed. Off to nec Thursday/Friday so looks like a leisure battery is now on the "to buy/get" list.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Looks like you need a new battery especially as the second one is good, presumably at least 12.6v...
10v is dead...totally.....and will have no storage capacity even if it will charge.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What Uncle PPJ says ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Better still change both batteries to a matching pair.

:gum::gum::gum::gum::gum::gum::gum::gum::gum:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hope you resolve the issue but don’t dismiss mice just because it is parked on your drive.

We had two Zafiras wiring looms attacked by the little bustards on our drive. They never touched any other vehicles.

Vauxhall must make extremely tasty wiring looms.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hope you resolve the issue but don’t dismiss mice just because it is parked on your drive.

We had two Zafiras wiring looms attacked by the little bustards on our drive. They never touched any other vehicles.

Vauxhall must make extremely tasty wiring looms.

Yes had it here.

We get it here , especially when it is exceptionally cold:cold: & you return & park up a nice warm engine. :sun:
Up pops Roland from the woodpile /fig tree/or neighbours & thinks " that'll be better for tonight" (y)
Every time now when the vehicles return , bonnet is pulled & traps put on the engine & other places they'd like to sit & eat.

I also use ultra sonic detectors not only in the van but an outside area adjacent to the house & every room in the apartment.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
If you're gonna pull all the fuses to dry the fuse box, take a picture of them in position first to aid replacing them and maybe try clipping a jump lead between the battery negative terminal and a piece of bright metal on the engine or gearbox to eliminate a potential earth fault.
my thoughts exactly, also be gentle getting the cover free - I broke mine when tugging it clear of surrounding bits.

Mike Kiff

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 1995
Hello from Devon,
Had a similar problem on a 2.3 150bhp.2016.
Near side (left hand side)
Under front wing you will see several wires all joining together,
It’s a earth connection, make sure they are secure.

Mike

OP
OP
Tribbtravs

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi guys
The MADness has returned ☹️
OH just went to let dog out and heard central locking start again. Decided to start van up and windscreen washers, wipers, full beam on and indicators all going ballistic. We've decided take up to mates garage tomorrow to see if he can sort.
Will update tomorrow pm

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Do hope it's not mice.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Mice like nice warm places to shelter in cold weather. I had one in my car once, parked on the drive and used all day every day. It ate all my spearmint Polo mints, that's how I realised I had company. Don't know whether it travelled round all day with me next day or jumped out and then back in again when I got home, but that night it took the Mars Bar bait and I had it caught. Let it free in next door's garden and never saw it again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back