And I thought the headlight was expensive (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
in the theme of GTB from other threads, we have company here in France Annie and Roger for those that haven’t seen my travel thread

Roger offered to wash up and there soon followed one almighty crash :(:(

6CF68539-A52B-4D78-91FB-5127D0ADC2C8.jpeg

4B0CC336-CFAD-40E1-BA8A-42BD1979BFC8.jpeg

58CFEC63-C27B-4E4D-82CC-950DCD7FCD80.jpeg

We now have sunk full of a few thousand pieces of glass loads more all over the floor, cooker and Lola’s bed and bowls o_O

Absolutely no idea what caused it we probably never will, but just when we thinking that will cost a bit we opened the other cover and a piece of glass was stuck behind the hinge and broke the worktop surface as well :(

Poor old Roger feels so bad, it will not be cheap but whatever it’s happened we have had a lovely day in the gorge du Verdon (y)

So back to the damage, how much do we think for new cover and worktop? I am thinking similar to headlight, that will presume I can convince @Terry to ‘help’ me fit them :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if the other one is identical you could get black glass cut drilled and then tempered by using it as a template depends what they want for a replacement

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if the other one is identical you could get black glass cut drilled and then tempered by using it as a template depends what they want for a replacement

This is a Hymer, that would be logical, but all three are different shapes and sizes o_O

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i recognise those bits as part of a kinell.....well its what you say when hymer say how much a new one is going to cost anyway

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So back to the damage, how much do we think for new cover and worktop? I am thinking similar to headlight, that will presume I can convince @Terry to ‘help’ me fit them :)

ouch! have another Gin David....it might look better in the morning. lol.
Let me know when you're back and i'll see what I can do (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the solution is of course have a competent carpenter (Terry) cut a set of templates out of hardboard or ply then have glass copies made and have a competent person fit them for you

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
in the theme of GTB from other threads, we have company here in France Annie and Roger for those that haven’t seen my travel thread

Roger offered to wash up and there soon followed one almighty crash :(:(

View attachment 213498

View attachment 213499

View attachment 213500

We now have sunk full of a few thousand pieces of glass loads more all over the floor, cooker and Lola’s bed and bowls o_O

Absolutely no idea what caused it we probably never will, but just when we thinking that will cost a bit we opened the other cover and a piece of glass was stuck behind the hinge and broke the worktop surface as well :(

Poor old Roger feels so bad, it will not be cheap but whatever it’s happened we have had a lovely day in the gorge du Verdon (y)

Cannot “like” this, once again no button. What a shame. At least you and Bev not on your own to play the blame game, which I am sure we would be doing.
We have the glass tops and I don’t like them, if I had a choice would replace with some sort of worktop laminate.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For a larger work surface I made a plywood cover with a washable fabric top to cover the complete glass tops when not using gas rings and tuck it away at end of kitchen unit when cooker needed.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@DavidG58 all I can say is I wouldn’t like to be sat on top a rocket, looking out the window and seeing you putting two thumbs up to launch control. :)

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Ouch.
Im sure Hymer will want a fortune for the glass, but as has already been suggested, there are many companies who will cut a glass to a pattern, and it can then be heat treated to toughened glass like the original.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I would hazard a guess that the very over engineered tap, with 'mood lighting' had a part to play in this mis-hap. The hot/cold lever caught us out early days.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Oh dear David
Hopefully you can find a reasonable priced replacement.

Keep smiling!

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Ooops... same thing happened to us last November, our hob cover comes in 2 sections of black glass and yes its the larger side that shattered. Sourced a replacement through Travelworld and cost the thick end of £73 inc VAT and carriage. Every day's a school day!

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Pity you can't come back via the Hymer factory see how much they are/havethem fitted.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
I would consider replacing with a stainless steel cover.
Edit. The broken cover when open looks to have rested against the panel at the left hand end (near socket) but un-supported at right hand end. As such, it was prone to torsional stresses resulting in the breakage. Our single glass cover rests in a similar manner against a window surround, to which we are always conscious of not knocking it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would hazard a guess that the very over engineered tap, with 'mood lighting' had a part to play in this mis-hap. The hot/cold lever caught us out early days.

Pretty sure the tap wasn’t to blame, on further investigation while clearing up we noticed the hinges were in different positions, that might have been a coincidence or the cause, the hinges do seem very stiff without the lid as a lever

Ooops... same thing happened to us last November, our hob cover comes in 2 sections of black glass and yes its the larger side that shattered. Sourced a replacement through Travelworld and cost the thick end of £73 inc VAT and carriage. Every day's a school day!

Pete

That sounds like a very good result, I am predicting £200 + and might be way out, it’s a fancy shape with a piece of matching wood bonded on o_O

Pity you can't come back via the Hymer factory see how much they are/havethem fitted.

We did think about it but a bit too far out of this route plan

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@dalspa many thanks for that we have been having similar thoughts here, the hinges are stiff enough to support the cover weight even half up, not that we would ever need to but just describing the resistance

Brushed stainless steel would look OK I think but the other 2 covers might also need to be done

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back