External door handle (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
My Rapido 909Df habitation door has failed again (second time in three years) and will now only open from the inside.
Upon investigation the only thing I can find wrong is a broken 'stud' within the external door handle mechanism itself as shown in the attached picture ( the broken stud is shown with a yellow arrow and the location that its broken away from is shown with the red arrow).
I'm guessing given the flimsy nature of the mechanism that this part is easily obtainable from Rapido and is probably one of their best sellers £££££ but is there anyone in the Uk that supplies the unit to save me some time and probably cost. The second picture I hope gives you the part number info it it looks like its made by FAP Firenze an Italian company .
It would also be interesting to know if this stud has failed for others , I certainly didn't put any undue force on the handle so I can imagine this has happened to a lot of folk.

Attachments

• IMG_0004 (1).JPG
    IMG_0004 (1).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 156
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep ours broke after about 2 years 3 months. Rapido have provided a new one for us (FOC) but I couldn't figure out how to replace the key lock. Rapido should be sorting that out now.

I think it is fatigue problem that you can get with metal castings of dubious quality

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Yep ours broke after about 2 years 3 months. Rapido have provided a new one for us (FOC) but I couldn't figure out how to replace the key lock. Rapido should be sorting that out now.

I think it is fatigue problem that you can get with metal castings of dubious quality

Thanks for this info much appreciated.
Did you go direct to Rapido for a replacement and is it being fitted by a dealer for you ?
Cheers
Wyn

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
My Rapido 909Df habitation door has failed again (second time in three years) and will now only open from the inside.
Upon investigation the only thing I can find wrong is a broken 'stud' within the external door handle mechanism itself as shown in the attached picture ( the broken stud is shown with a yellow arrow and the location that its broken away from is shown with the red arrow).
I'm guessing given the flimsy nature of the mechanism that this part is easily obtainable from Rapido and is probably one of their best sellers £££££ but is there anyone in the Uk that supplies the unit to save me some time and probably cost. The second picture I hope gives you the part number info it it looks like its made by FAP Firenze an Italian company .
It would also be interesting to know if this stud has failed for others , I certainly didn't put any undue force on the handle so I can imagine this has happened to a lot of folk.
Exactly the same happened on our 890. It simply stopped working on the last day of the Tinsel Rally at Shrewsbury in the heavy snow and cold, but I don’t think that had anything to do with it. I have not tried to fix it myself as it is under warrantee from the dealer. I have it booked in to fix it on 25th Jan. I can let you know what they do after that

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Exactly the same happened on our 890. It simply stopped working on the last day of the Tinsel Rally at Shrewsbury in the heavy snow and cold, but I don’t think that had anything to do with it. I have not tried to fix it myself as it is under warrantee from the dealer. I have it booked in to fix it on 25th Jan. I can let you know what they do after that
I

Many thanks that would be great

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Ours went about 3yrs ago.
Ended up repairing it with liquid metal that we had at work.
37EF220A-C454-4E66-8543-F5C7E179E342.jpeg

It lasted about 3 months. Ended up buying one from a Bailey dealer and modified it to fit. Just put our barrel in and works fine.
Just remember the door handle is left or right, if that makes sense:)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
How do you get the door handle off? Is it easy enough to do?

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Yes. If you carefully take the inner panel off. And the closing handle. You will figure out that you can open the door by pressing a certain spot on the mechanism. Lock/unlock using the remote. We had no panel on for a while. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
but is there anyone in the Uk that supplies the unit to save me some time and probably cost

Highbridge are your best bet. They've helped me out with parts several times.

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Ours went about 3yrs ago.
Ended up repairing it with liquid metal that we had at work.
View attachment 205576

It lasted about 3 months. Ended up buying one from a Bailey dealer and modified it to fit. Just put our barrel in and works fine.
Just remember the door handle is left or right, if that makes sense:)

Nice job I thought of Aralditing it but given the constant use I didn't think it would last long . First step tmw is to moan to Rapido direct about the quality of the fitting and see if I can get some sort of discount out of them.

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
How do you get the door handle off? Is it easy enough to do?

Yes take off the inner panel carefully with a flat ended screw driver ( don't force anything though) then its easy to see the 4 screws holding the outer door mechanism in place.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Nice job I thought of Aralditing it but given the constant use I didn't think it would last long . First step tmw is to moan to Rapido direct about the quality of the fitting and see if I can get some sort of discount out of them.

Let me know how you get on. If the price is right, I’ll buy a spare ;)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
@wp1234 I advised our dealer, Wokingham, when it broke, we were in Spain at the time, a replacement was ordered and sent to us as it had not arrived when we visited them for a self inflicted minor repair.

To replace the lock you need to remove the inner lock, then using a flat piece of metal, I used 1" wide aluminium strip, you need to prise off the facia to the left of the inner handle. Take care, it only held on with plastic friction studs.

Then remove 4 screws that hold the outer lock. Replacement is a a straight reversal of this. I was defeated as I coudn't figure how to remove and refit the key barrel lock. It was freezing cold and I was, as it turns out, coming down with the flu, so abandoned it. As the vehicle if off for an expenses paid trip to the Rapido factory I have asked them to sort it at the same time.

Time will tell!

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Put a load of handles in your pocket......
You’ll make a fortune:);)

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
UPDATE.
I've been in touch with Rapido and fair play although the handle is out of warranty they have agreed to replace and fit FOC, I suspect this is not a one off claim for them . Once I have the new handle I might play around with the old one to see if I can get a working spare out of it - I suspect I will need it in a couple of years time.
Thanks all for the input .

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
After nine months , our door is the same. Under warranty obviously and hopefully not a problem. On some other Facebook page, one chap posted about going to a locksmith to change the way the door mechanism worked and buying new handles from “B&Q maybe” . Sadly cannot find it now.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Update. The dealer stripped it down today and informed me that the problem was just as I had told them when I booked it in - ( same stud broke off the back of the door handle as in @wp1234 ’ original post). Naturally they did not have the part in stock so have now ordered it from Rapido and I get to go back in a couple of weeks for them to fit it. It is not covered by the 3 Year Dealer Warrantee which specifically excludes door handles! The part cost is £45, and fitting is 2 hours at Brain Surgeon Rates. I know I could do it myself but I’m going to blow most of my Winter Fuel Allowance on it ( £199 total). That way next time it goes it will by under the guarantee from this repair.

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Keep the old one and send it over to me to have a look at?
I will try to remember to do that. I also thought I might ask Rapido to send me one like they did @clanjones . Please help me to remember by sending me a pm with your address in about a week.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would drill the arm on the original and use a stainless m4 screw and nut. then add a sleeve on the projecting bolt to match original dimensions. should take 20 minutes and parts under £1

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
i would drill the arm on the original and use a stainless m4 screw and nut. then add a sleeve on the projecting bolt to match original dimensions. should take 20 minutes and parts under £1
I know I should, but if I screw it up it’s a long way to drive with a flapping door to get it out right!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Update. The dealer stripped it down today and informed me that the problem was just as I had told them when I booked it in - ( same stud broke off the back of the door handle as in @wp1234 ’ original post). Naturally they did not have the part in stock so have now ordered it from Rapido and I get to go back in a couple of weeks for them to fit it. It is not covered by the 3 Year Dealer Warrantee which specifically excludes door handles! The part cost is £45, and fitting is 2 hours at Brain Surgeon Rates. I know I could do it myself but I’m going to blow most of my Winter Fuel Allowance on it ( £199 total). That way next time it goes it will by under the guarantee from this repair.
Update. Dealer has now fixed it. Cost was £199, complete with 12 months guarantee. I got the broken bit back so will share pictures etc and see how best to rebuild it as a spare. @Stealaway - I’ll be in touch!

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Update. Dealer has now fixed it. Cost was £199, complete with 12 months guarantee. I got the broken bit back so will share pictures etc and see how best to rebuild it as a spare. @Stealaway - I’ll be in touch!

£199 - whattttttttttttttttttttttttt

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
@Stealaway has kindly fixed my door handle be replacing the broken bit with a stainless bolt. So it is ready to fit back into a Rapido door. As I got mine fixed at the dealer, this is now available for anyone else who has the same Rapido Hab Door issue. @Stealaway has kindly offered to swap your broken one for the fixed one, then fix the broken one for the next person. So post on this thread if you have a need

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Stealaway has kindly fixed my door handle be replacing the broken bit with a stainless bolt. So it is ready to fit back into a Rapido door. As I got mine fixed at the dealer, this is now available for anyone else who has the same Rapido Hab Door issue. @Stealaway has kindly offered to swap your broken one for the fixed one, then fix the broken one for the next person. So post on this thread if you have a need
I gave you a "like" but it was to be shared with @Stealaway

Martin

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
My door lock has stopped working again. This time the electric motor in the hab door does not operate when when either pressing the remote or internal lock/unlock buttons. The cab door still works though. I can still use the key and the internal handle. So it’s either a wire broken, connection dropped off or a motor failure. I’m still scared of levering off the flimsy plastic inner door to find out so unless someone has a better idea I guess I’ll go back to the dealer again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back