Battery charging (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I have a Marquis Majestic 125 2013. Marquis tell me that the van battery is not charged on hookup (unlike the leisure battery). That would explain why it was completely flat on Saturday as its not been used for a month. Having flattened it I replaced it but I now want to keep the new battery charged up. Is the best way just to lift the floor hatch and clip on a charger or has anyone come up with a neater solution?

The Marquis technician recommended an Optimate or a solar panel.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a solar panel would be ideal plus maybe fit a battery master

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I had this problem and solved it with a solar panel.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you can afford it a solar panel will charge both your van and leisure batteries of course you’ll need a solar regulator as well.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yip I fitted a battery to battery master which is easy to install (3 wires) then once you leisure battery reaches a certain charge, then a small trickle charge will be sent to your cab battery, thus then hopefully preventing what happened to you.
The one I bought was on ebay and was about £25

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
g3cwi
Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the various replies. I think that I understand the options.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Have a Chausson 2014 Reg 626 Flash and first year with a solar panel was fine. Kept both batteries topped up, even in the winter, but it then failed after a hab test (!) in 2016! So I now charge the cab battery every 2/3 weeks with our CTEK charger which although just over £60 a couple of years ago is worth its weight in gold as it also reconditions a battery if left to go really flat. I also charge the hab battery about every 10 days. As our hab battery is positioned under the drivers seat I have bolted the two extra wires that come with the CTEK to the battery terminals. That way I just have to connect up the CTEK wires. Charging for the cab bat is just overnight and for the hab is about 1.5 days. Do others find they also have to charge this frequently? I have a feeling our hab battery (110 Ah) may need replacing either this Spring or in 2019.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It’s that time of year when old batteries start to fail so changing it should be all you needed to do. You could join your two batteries together with a BatteryMaster (or similar) and then your internal charger will look after both.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
A battery Master would save the trouble of firstly charging the hab and then a week later the cab battery. I really also want to get to the bottom of why the solar cells are not sending enough charge through to keep them topped up. Possibly because the hab runs down too quickly (e.g. in approx 10 days)?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A battery Master would save the trouble of firstly charging the hab and then a week later the cab battery. I really also want to get to the bottom of why the solar cells are not sending enough charge through to keep them topped up. Possibly because the hab runs down too quickly (e.g. in approx 10 days)?
without diagnostic info being available, I would hazard a guess that your solar controller has failed, assuming you checked the fuse. possibly caused by whoever did the had check shorting out the solar wires

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Try and find out what's drawing the battery down. It may be that the battery is on its last legs and has much reduced capacity. It's easy to reduce the life of a battery by leaving it in a discharged condition so regular checks and top-ups are a good discipline. I'm not so sure that permanent float is a good idea, though (depends on battery type).
Solar power at this time of year is rather scant and battery performance is also reduced in cold conditions. You may be lucky to get an Amp flowing in at peak times. Make sure that the cab side is switched off while not in use. The panel should still be able to charge it.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If your on continuous hook up when not in use and already have a second battery charger, this would be your cheapest option and i deal if the second battery charger is an 'intelligent' one.
If not, then solar power and as much as you can handle. (do it once and do it right), just make sure the cab battery also get's a charge when using solar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back