Outside hook up point at home ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Im looking at setting up an outside hook up point using the usual blue plugs... Having just installed new garage doors I can no longer lay the lead under the garage door.

What do I need and are the blue plugs and outlet sockets waterproof ?

Thanks.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
As it's an outside socket it is covered by part P so should be done by an electrician. But
You could buy a Ip65 commando socket. Some 2.5mm 3 core cable and a Rcd protected plug top And just make an Extension lead up
That's not covered by part p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you don't have modern RCD's in your box suggest a separate on on the inside wall where you fix the outlet it should nowdays be fitted by an electrician......................

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Fit usual 16A blue type socket to suitable wall near motorhome then run cable, somehow, indoors and to spare fuseway on your consumer unit, using RCD at appropriate level. Or 'cos you can't do that without appropriate qualification, plug it into a 13A socket, again fused at appropriate level. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
10mm hole through wall, trailing lead with female 16A socket outside, 13A plug in inside

Or do it the harder way get an external socket fitted on outside wall then same lead but no need for hole in wall :)(y)

Last edited:

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
You don't need qualifications to be competent....you need to show competence to get a qualification certificate.
If you have the ability, confidence and knowledge to fit an outdoor commando socket, just fit it.
The socket police won't come knocking
And send in a minor works to building control

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
If your door is a roller type..it will have a pressure pad on the base. The cable will not effect it. We have the same type and have no problem with the cable going under the door when closed.
Im looking at setting up an outside hook up point using the usual blue plugs... Having just installed new garage doors I can no longer lay the lead under the garage door.

What do I need and are the blue plugs and outlet sockets waterproof ?

Thanks.
Are the doors roller type or conventional wooden or up and over type?

Kev

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I like a good laugh. Its like the guy who would not sell me the connector to fit my own Gas Oven. His theme being your not qualified. I asked him just how qualified he though I had to be. He said "Corgi" (it was a few years back). So I just said "you are talking to the guy who certifies the plant that the Corgi Fitters Train on!." Now can I have my Connection!. I got it!.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If your door is a roller type..it will have a pressure pad on the base. The cable will not effect it. We have the same type and have no problem with the cable going under the door when closed.

Are the doors roller type or conventional wooden or up and over type?

Kev

Doors are heavy duty insulated steel side hung..... I bought them for security and fitted them myself with heavy duty locks . There is a threshold rubber strip that has a pressure sensitive strip that sets of the alarms if meddled with. If I try to close the door with the cable under the alarm goes off and in any case it’s to tight ...

I tend to charge every 3 weeks or so and leave it hooked up overnight.

I will use one of the advised Commando sockets above and run it through a fused spur for safety.

Thanks all for the advice !!

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Exactly what I did.
Me too, I have a waterproof 13A socket outside and use an adaptor. However I have an up-and-over garage door so have the cable to the Moho going through the gap above the door to an internal socket. That way it is more difficult to steal the cable. Visiting Moho owners use the external socket, so does my lawnmower.

I’ve not yet driven off without unplugging. My old Moho had an alarm that sounded if you started the engine whilst plugged in, but the new one does not. What do Funsters do to ensure they remember to unplug?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Me too, I have a waterproof 13A socket outside and use an adaptor. However I have an up-and-over garage door so have the cable to the Moho going through the gap above the door to an internal socket. That way it is more difficult to steal the cable. Visiting Moho owners use the external socket, so does my lawnmower.

I’ve not yet driven off without unplugging. My old Moho had an alarm that sounded if you started the engine whilst plugged in, but the new one does not. What do Funsters do to ensure they remember to unplug?
Hi guys. I thought ALL modern motorhomes had the alarm when plugged in?
kev

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
On my Old R-V, the handle to crank up the T-V Ariel was just above the drivers position. So I had a Chain which I hooked onto it, with a sign on the end which dangled right in your face if you forgot. The sign also had a short checklist including Hookup?, on an R-V "hookup" can Aslo include Water and Sewer!.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

That's so easy to do: Insert an audible warning if mains is connected and the engine is started. All manufacturers should provide it.

That's so easy to do: Drive off while still connected to EHU. All manufacturers should provide something to remind you.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
As it was external electrical work, I had an electrician fit a wall mounted waterproof 2 gang 13A socket outside in our driveway from a fused spur on a ring in our extension and he made up a 13A plug van hookup lead.
It allows me to turn off the socket from inside the house and also use the sockets for power washer and hedge trimmer etc. It's a bit more versatile than a dedicated 16A hookup point

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If your door is a roller type..it will have a pressure pad on the base. The cable will not effect it. We have the same type and have no problem with the cable going under the door when closed. Are the doors roller type or conventional wooden or up and over type? Kev

I have the same and at each end there's a 25mm wide x 10mm high notch which allows a cable to pass underneath without upsetting the pressure pad, but . . . I do have an external 13a socket over the side of the house to feed the van.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I cut a chase in the garage door frame for the EHU cable to pass through.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ref; DIY outdoor electrical work. If you dont feel confident, dont do it. IF however you have the necessary skill set then get on with it?. In my view NOTHING to do with the Council, H&SE or Government, when It is on Land I own, at which point the "Big Brother"`s can all go Rotate!.

P.S. It is far more likely that an "extension" cable will fail and become potentially dangerous than a Fixed installation.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Fuse spur is fine for isolation and overload protection.....but it won't prevent electric shocks.
The socket needs to be RCD protected as it's outdoors.
I would go further and suggest RCD & ELCB protection at main domestic distribution box. Fuses will not save your life.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Whilst an extra RCD might add a bit more protection, I've often wondered if they do. With three of them between you in the van and the mains supplied to your house (van/socket/distribution board) I tend to think there's some redundancy here and, if you lose power in the van, you have a third trip to investigate before progressing.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I will use one of the advised Commando sockets above and run it through a fused spur for safety.
As I'm sure you all know, for a motorhome/caravan hookup point you need an RCD (30 millamp trip), and also an MCB that is maximum 16 amps and is double-pole.

Double-pole MCBs are actually quite difficult to find, not generally available in DIY stores. They sell only single-pole and 3-pole types.

are the blue plugs and outlet sockets waterproof ?
The usual blue plugs and sockets are IP44 rated: weatherproof but not proof against water jets or immersion.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Whilst an extra RCD might add a bit more protection, I've often wondered if they do. With three of them between you in the van and the mains supplied to your house (van/socket/distribution board) I tend to think there's some redundancy here and, if you lose power in the van, you have a third trip to investigate before progressing.
I guess the RCD socket would be important if one was using an appliance like a hedge trimmer and one cut the cable.... Not that I have done this on numerous occasions! :eek:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
In which case, you may well find that the hedge trimmer has its own RCD incorporated into the plug. The RCD to trip will be the one with the quickest reaction time, one of any in the line of supply.
It's surprising that corded electric hedge trimmers are even allowed. But they are, and people survive (as far as I know), so they must be safer than you'd think.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I drilled a hole through the garage wall. Fed a cable through and fitted a blue outdoor socket like on campsites. Connected the cable to the mains inside the garage. Took about an hour.

Works well

I am still alive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back