Generator help/ advice. Please (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think you need to postpone your trip for a week or two and get some stuff sorted, especially the solar panels and batteries.
I have a friend in Chalfont who could maybe help you if get stuck - He's an handy bloke to know

OP
OP
A

Amanda Lloyd

Free Member
Jan 21, 2018
Aylesbury Bucks
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Riviera
Exp
I'm a nebie
Thanks.
I have the van booked for a service, solar panel fitting and a couple of other bits the first week in March. As i leave work this Friday ( Yippeeee ) I'm hoping that will I've me time to get things sorted.
What I lack is you lot sat round a drink swapping tips back and forth :)
I'm not bad at most things but totally baffled by the electric-ary!
I am buying everything I need for the garage to fit, hence the questions :)
Chalfont is convenient for me, perhaps you could ask your friend if it would be ok for me to pick his brains.
Tha
I think you need to postpone your trip for a week or two and get some stuff sorted, especially the solar panels and batteries.
I have a friend in Chalfont who could maybe help you if get stuck - He's an handy bloke to know
nks :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Try to be frugal with the use of electricity, it won’t be like being at home. Use battery power for lighting (and all things low voltage, like a computer) but the 240V supply from your inverter should not be used for heating. Brief encounters, such as for drying hair, might be the exception but even that might exercise your batteries a bit too much, so I’d try to leave such activities until a mains supply becomes available. Don’t use a kettle, toaster or any form of heater with an inverter, even if it could cope, as it would soon flatten your batteries and shorten their life. Use gas for heating and cooking when there is no mains hook-up available.

You may find that using mains electricity is more expensive than gas for heating, especially if you use LPG (Autogas) in a refillable bottle. When you do use mains, you may also need to watch the power (Amps) you are using as some sites only provide a limited supply (6 rather than the 16 Amps you may find in the UK). That would be good enough for the fridge and recharging batteries, though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
H

Hi Amanda.
First off all you need both batteries to be exactly the same and don’t put old with new as old may drag the new one down. So you really need 2 new Batteries but get good ones especially for habitation Varta or Bosch make
The Solar controller is required to control the power coming down from the solar panels but you need a good one but don’t get a cheap one that’s made in China as they go wrong very quickly and start to overheat :-( but this should come with the solar set up so you don’t have to worry about it except make sure the supplier/fitter supply’s a good one and they are not cheap.
You will get away with a 1800w pure sine wave inverter like I have got and my Appliaces are as follows :
Electric kettle (travel type 2 cup max 1000w
Microwave 850w
Hair drier (travel type folding handle) 1100w
Toaster 1000w
Remoska cooker small one 400w
Bread maker 400w
That’s about it really but obviously the hair dryer and kettle you only use got about 5 mins at a time and microwave too. But all depends on size of your battery bank if you can get 2 x 140a batteries in then you will be ok anything less and you will have to shorten your usage on any appliance ok.
Gas well the best thing is a fully automatic LPG system with filler on outside of van maybe positioned in skirt of van but not on outside of gas cupboard door as constant opening of door may damage your filler pipe.
It is very much a problem trying to fill ordinary gas bottles abroad so better off with LPG system to start with as one fitted you never have to touch anything except to fill up from filler point. (Except when going on or train or ferry when you need to turn bottles off) try to get the biggest you can in your gas locker box
I have 2 x 11 kg (44ltrs) alu lite German bottle system with light weight bottles (helps on your payload). You can fill up anywhere in UK and Europe with plenty of garages doing LPG gas. The cost of fully automatic 2 bottle system is about £700 area but worth every penny in convenience factor along and no more lugging bottles about.
Good luck Amanda

i Gary,
that's really helpful. I think I will have to manage without a generator due to weight and cost.
I will buy a second leisure battery, do they have to be the same as I have one already?
I have a trickle solar charger for the running battery.
The appliances I will be running are; microwave, toaster, electric heater Though I also have gas so that can be used) and a hairdryer. Looking at 2x12 (or 150w) solar panels plus an inverter.
You have listed 1 x 30a Solar victron Solar controller , can you explain what that does?

Thanks for your help and patience
Amanda

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just remember that anything that heats, toaster, kettle hairdryer etc. although small appliances, use an awful lot of that elusive electrickery.
All that sort of kit should be run on gas if possible or mains if it's available. Even with an inverter they will clobber your battery.
Low wattage stuff like lights, radios, phone charging etc are fine from the battery.

For the cost of a decent generator, perhaps over £700+, you can buy a lot of solar and batteries.

Richard.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Just remember that anything that heats, toaster, kettle hairdryer etc. although small appliances, use an awful lot of that elusive electrickery.
All that sort of kit should be run on gas if possible or mains if it's available. Even with an inverter they will clobber your battery.
Low wattage stuff like lights, radios, phone charging etc are fine from the battery.

For the cost of a decent generator, perhaps over £700+, you can buy a lot of solar and batteries.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back