TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
hi all
I don't now if i have posted this in the correct place, so please move if appropriate.

the 12 volt electrics turn themselves off when i start the engine, ideally i want to have a cool box for the beer in the garage, Is there an easy way of disabling this function to allow the 12 volt to be always fully functional

thanks in advance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes there is...sort of.
You need to locate then bypass the relay which controls this function.

Where is it ?.....absolutely anywhere but usually near the 12v fuses.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can just disconnect the wire that feeds the relay that contols it, I take you have a Sargent distribution unit and the relay will be on the PCB so easier to disconnect the wire before it gets to the relay. After doing so do check that the alternator is still charging the leisure batteries in case they use the same wire, if thats the case you may have to do a mod on the pcb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TCG

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks Guy's. i will give Sargent a call, as their customer tec service is normally good and they should be able to tell me the location of relay

OP
OP
TCG

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
If you have the common 3-way fridge it is powered with 12v when the engine is running, so you could tap off that feed and run a cable to the cool box.

Geoff
excellent Idea... Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you have the common 3-way fridge it is powered with 12v when the engine is running, so you could tap off that feed and run a cable to the cool box.

Geoff
Trouble with that is that the 12v feed to the fridge goes off with the ignition so would have to connect the coolbox elsewhere to keep it going.
A use a coldbox for beer as more than a couple in the fridge causes moaning from swmbo. My 12v doesnt go off when moving as not a British one.
In the winter sometimes have an electric blanket on when driving. Nice warm bed on arrival.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the issue that leaving the 12v on to supply a coolbox is that if you dont unplug after driving it will flatten your battery

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Trouble with that is that the 12v feed to the fridge goes off with the ignition so would have to connect the coolbox elsewhere to keep it going.
A use a coldbox for beer as more than a couple in the fridge causes moaning from swmbo. My 12v doesnt go off when moving as not a British one.
In the winter sometimes have an electric blanket on when driving. Nice warm bed on arrival.
Sympathy with you,,my wifes the same,,she insists the 3 way fridge is only for food and white wine,,,Treated myself to a small Waiko compressor chest fridge,,brilliant.BUSBY,,

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Geoff

Ditto, Beat me to it!. But check the fuse and cable rating is up to coping with both.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This problem is very much a British built motorhome thing, as the NCC "rules" say that the 12V habitation circuits must be off when you are driving. Of course that may be sensible for caravans, not motorhomes, but the rules are the same for both. The 12V habitation circuits in European built motorhomes remain live whether the engine is off or on.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have a similar problem with our Autosleeper, whose 12v circuit goes off when the engine runs. My van has tank heaters in the underslung water tanks (which are actually pretty useless unless you are on mains as they flatten the battery very quickly). But I would sometimes like them on while driving - eg in France last week when it was minus 6 at midday! I can see no way of doing this. This is a serious disadvantage in what is otherwise a warm and cosy van!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back