Travelling through Austria (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We’re planning a trip to Ljubljana and are wondering about the need for Vignettes or Go-Boxes through Austria.

What are the consequences of being in a 3.5T vehicle, uprated to 3.85T (might you get by with a Vignette)?

We’ve not bothered with the Austrian motorways when visiting before but we will be passing through this time, rather than visiting. So are there any good routes that avoid the motorways?

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
If i were you id risk buying a vignette, as long as you dont stand out and look like your over 3,5t ie.. tag axle.

it cost us a bloody fortune to get through austria to hungary last easter using the go box....even got fined 240euros for buying the go box 30 mins too late,,,,,,,,even though i couldn't get one at the first few services.

we got stopped at the border with hungary and the little adolfs had it all on camera. We are giving austria a wide berth until we down size.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In Slovenia over 3.5t motorways are pay as you go at the toll boths, when we went didn't bother using them but did get diverted onto one due to road works.. Easy to get across Austria without using toll roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
In Slovenia over 3.5t motorways are pay as you go at the toll boths, when we went didn't bother using them but did get diverted onto one due to road works.. Easy to get across Austria without using toll roads.
I can see that there are other roads across Austria, but had just wondered if they were a practical alternative. More important, if there were any that ought to be avoided (ended-up ascending a difficult 25% road two years ago).

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We crossed Austria last year in our 3850kg Bolero without touching a motorway with no problem.

I know it's of no help but I've got a copy of the route I used - but it's on the main machine at home......... Sorry.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

I wouldn't object if they mistakenly assumed my original plated weight but would feel awkward about pretending otherwise.
If practical, in terms of extra time and ability to navigate alternative roads, I'm happy not to put it to the test.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Quid a few threads on this, and I’m firmly in the camp of buy what you need!
If you need a go box, buy one and pay what you need to! It’ll be less painful in the long run, you won’t have to worry, and you might be surprised at how easy it is........if you follow the instructions on the box and buy it before you get into Austria :unsure:
A beautiful country and way cheaper than its neighbour Switzerland. Watch out for signs about not wild camping, obey their rules, and enjoy it. I love it and will go back.
( previous visit was in a 5T tag, next time will buy a new box for current 5.3 T van.)
All the problems folk have is by trying to wing it and save a few quid. Do it properly and enjoy it stress free. Lots of the alternate roads have sneaky 3.5t limits apparently, albeit ignored by many........That’s my two penneth anyway:p
Good luck(y)

Ps. If you intend to avoid motorways, ignore the above;)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
B
I can see that there are other roads across Austria, but had just wondered if they were a practical alternative. More important, if there were any that ought to be avoided (ended-up ascending a difficult 25% road two years ago).
A very easy route is from Fussen taking the Fernpass to Innsbruck you skirt around Innsbruck then take the Brenner pass (Brenna) pass to guess where - Brenner. Be careful you don't get on the Autobahn at Fussen Blue signs are normal roads, Green Autobahn. A good stopover just before Brenner is Gusthouse Wolf at Wolf, buy a meal and stay for free, watch the landlady as soon as your beer is empty she grabs the glass for a refill.

Another good route and much more scenic from south east of Munich, Kufstein, Mittersill, Leinz then onto the Plockenpass, easy drive over the pass and no lorries, over 7.5t are banned. From there the roads in Italy are very good way above the standard of normal Italian roads. My preferred route.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That’s not as far East as I was planning, Lenny, but would work for me. I was thinking of heading towards Saltzberg, then going South. Pretty though Austria is, my mission is to get further afield this time so I don’t want to be delayed too much. I may simply get a Go-box, but it seems such a faff for one trip.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That’s not as far East as I was planning, Lenny, but would work for me. I was thinking of heading towards Saltzberg, then going South. Pretty though Austria is, my mission is to get further afield this time so I don’t want to be delayed too much. I may simply get a Go-box, but it seems such a faff for one trip.
We have a similar mission this year - to get further south into Slovenia and possibly Croatia or Hungary, or both. We meant to do it last summer, but so enjoyed touring in Austria in the sunshine, we didn't get any further south.

But we don't have the problem with using the motorway, because we're plated at 3,500kg, so a cheap and cheerful vignette does the trick. Thought it was a bargain... about 8 quid for 10 days if I remember rightly. (y)

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Indeed, it's a big difference (even only two axles) using a GoBox.
€9 for a vignette (for ten days) would be a no-brainer.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have seen posts on other forums saying that vehicles have been weighed at borders, and elsewhere with portable weigh plates.

This may have been for vehicles that looked more than 3500kg and it may not be a problem for those which look like a 3500kg.

But does one not have to produce one's V5C to get the Vignette? If so and there is max. weight on it then one needs a Go Box, surely.

Geoff

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Yep, just tried it and all the details are available (taxed, MOT, weight etc)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yep, just tried it and all the details are available (taxed, MOT, weight etc)

What weight did the records quote for your vehicle? In which section on your V5C does tat weight appear?

For my MH DVLA records only give 'Revenue Weight' which on a V5C is in section [Y] which does not exist in most other countries equivalent documents, and my Section [F.1 Max, Permissible Mass] is blank.

So where do the Austrian or any other authorities legally stand then?

Geoff

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We’re planning a trip to Ljubljana and are wondering about the need for Vignettes or Go-Boxes through Austria.

What are the consequences of being in a 3.5T vehicle, uprated to 3.85T (might you get by with a Vignette)?

We’ve not bothered with the Austrian motorways when visiting before but we will be passing through this time, rather than visiting. So are there any good routes that avoid the motorways?

Easy to get across Austria not using m/ways. We just tell the sat nag to avoid them. Are you heading for Bled in September?

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My £1K SatNag has already let me down a number of times (but that could be due to user error) so I tend to be more cautious now.
Yes I'll be at Bled (SatNag permitting).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
For Austria I leave our satnag set to avoid pre paid tolls but switch on per use tolls, that way it doesn't try to do a 150 mile detour to avoid a €5 toll tunnel but still keeps us off the Autobahn.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
For Austria I leave our satnag set to avoid pre paid tolls but switch on per use tolls, that way it doesn't try to do a 150 mile detour to avoid a €5 toll tunnel but still keeps us off the Autobahn.

I like what you are suggesting @Lenny HB but I'm not sure if my SatNag is able to be set that way; it's a blaupunkt 530. Must look at it carefully :).

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just looked your unit up it uses IGO software for satnav same as my Clarion so should be ok.

Looking at it now. It seems to have three related settings. Motorway, Period Charge, and Per-use Toll. At present Motorway is selected and the others not. That results in routes that include m/ways but not any form of toll road. I guess if I select Per-use Toll that will do the trick. Would you agree?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Should do works on mine but don't blame me if you end up on the Autobahn.:)

I only found out about doing that way for Austria when mine kept trying to do a 150 mile trip round the mountains, when I looked at the route I wanted to take I saw there was a tunnel.

Don't forget to change it back when you come out of Austria if you want to avoid toll roads.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Should do works on mine but don't blame me if you end up on the Autobahn.:)

I only found out about doing that way for Austria when mine kept trying to do a 150 mile trip round the mountains, when I looked at the route I wanted to take I saw there was a tunnel.

Don't forget to change it back when you come out of Austria if you want to avoid toll roads.

Just had fiddle with our route for tomorrow. With per use selected it did use the toll road. Not sure if it would have not used a period charge as there is not one around

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Period charge is mainly Austria and Switzerland, although a lot of the eastern Europe countries have them not tried it.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Webby

For Poland it depends which route you are taking. For example the A4 which only has tolls from Wraclaw going East has toll booths for paying, at least as far as Krakow, and I have never been challenged on weight.

Poland has gantry sensors for the Via-Toll boxes on main roads which are not Motorways - see ViaToll website map. We go from Katowice to Slowakia often and there is a ViaToll road but also an alternative running parallel which is non-toll.

Geoff

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We came from lido de Jesolo last September, traveling up through Italy and towards the Austrian border. Like people on here advised us, buy a go box and forget about it.
Well, the border came up fast, and we stopped on both sides trying to buy one...no chance. Over the Grossknocker pass we went (amazing) and stopped at sport camp wolfengut, Zell am see for three nights.
When it was time to leave, looked at the map and thought we can get to Germany without using the autobahn. Set the Sat Nav and had a great drive through fantastic country side.
I think we were lucky. Next time we are buying one well before we leave :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back