Peugeot Boxer X250 cold start problems (1 Viewer)

gplatt2000

Free Member
Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
Hi all

This is my first post and I’m wondering if anyone cal help with a mechanical problem I’m having…

I have a 2007 Peugeot Boxer (X250 / Ducato / Relay) with the 2.2HDI engine (which I believe is a Ford Puma - not the Iveco unit in the Fiats). Since I bought it (2 years ago) I’ve been having an issue with starting in cold weather. Below about 2°C the engine will struggle to start, as shown in the video here:

It’s never left me stranded yet (touch wood) – it will usually eventually start after a few attempts. As soon as it’s been running (for even just a few minutes), it will always start fine again. So it’s only ever happened when left overnight.

I fitted a new battery a couple of weeks ago but that’s not solved it. No error codes showing from OBD. It was serviced a few weeks ago (oil change, new air/fuel/oil filters) and that didn’t help. I had it at the mechanics, but they couldn’t recreate the issue – it only happens when it’s really cold, and even then maybe only about 30% of the time.

Has anyone experienced this problem, or is there a known fault? I’ve read about water ingress problems which can effect glow plugs and fuse/relay box. Other than that, I’ve no idea: I’m not at all mechanically knowledgable! The ‘crunching’ sound (at end of video) in particular sounds worrying.

Any help much appreciated – thanks in advance.

Gavin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Gavin

Just to let you know that you aren't being ignored. Your post has only just this minute gone live as we moderate first posts that have links in them in our fight against spammers. People can see your post now (y)

Thanks

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Your digital oil level readout is showing 5 empty squares - how's the oil level ?
The battery sounds like it's struggling to turn the engine over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
oil level readout is showing full you get less squares as level goes down. i would check and clean all earth straps and maybe add an extra one

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I had the same (2010 Boxer). In the end a new starter motor (was about £60 on eBay) and replacing the earth strap sorted it. It's been great since.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
are all the glowplugs working, I have one not working but still starts ok

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
oil level readout is showing full you get less squares as level goes down. i would check and clean all earth straps and maybe add an extra one

Odd - our digital oil level on our old X250 Peugeot showed 5 darkened squares when the level was full.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Odd - our digital oil level on our old X250 Peugeot showed 5 darkened squares when the level was full.
My 2007 shows less squares when it was down a bit before last service showed 4 or 3 if parked up with nearside wheels on kerb

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Down one square.

oil.jpg

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I know it’s not a motorhome so not like for like but I had a Mazda RX8 many years ago and they are renowned for both cold and hot start issues, in the end I needed to replace a standard battery with the highest cold crank amp battery I could find, it solved the issue instantly.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Sounds like the battery is bolloxed:)

OP
OP
G

gplatt2000

Free Member
Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
Wow, didn't expect so many replies so soon, thanks everyone. Had no idea those blocks represented oil level so thanks for pointing that out.

I replaced the battery two years ago with a Yuasa that had come highly recommended so I hope it's not the battery.

I'll check earths tomorrow and get multimeter on the battery, and report back.

Thanks again

OP
OP
G

gplatt2000

Free Member
Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
Forgot to say, I ran some 'Wynns Xtreme Diesel System Cleaner' through about 3,000mi ago and I've (mostly) used premium diesel since. Worth trying some injector cleaner too I suppose.

Fingers crossed it's a dodgy earth, will look into starter motor if not.

OP
OP
G

gplatt2000

Free Member
Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
Edit: replaced battery two weeks ago (not two years ago!)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
putting a jumplead from battery negative post to the engine block will show if its an earth strap. clean the terminals too when the battery is uncovered

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
did you check or replace the glow plugs ? as surely if it ALWAYS starts when warm would this be an earth issue ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
poor earth = weak glow plugs
poor earth = poor starter till engine warm

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Yup, agree with - sounds like starter or poor earth connection,
(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As others have said I'd be looking at the earthing as if that is a new battery it should be spinning the engine over far faster than that , even allowing for the fact that it is energising the glow plugs. Additionally as has been mentioned by others I would also have got the biggest cca battery that would go in the space.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I recently had a similar problem with a VW Golf diesel, a diagnostic scan indicated an incorrect reading on a coolant temperature sensor, when the sensor was checked in situ with a meter it was within range so ok, turned out to be a poor connection on the plug even though it appeared 100% perfect, a squirt of contact cleaner and a wriggle of the connector fixed the fault.
A diagnostic scan when stone cold may help but intermittent faults are often difficult !

OP
OP
G

gplatt2000

Free Member
Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
I checked and cleaned up the battery --> cab earth strap yesterday, but unfortunately that didn't solve it. It's in the garage later this week for its MOT so I'll ask them to replace the engine earth strap and see if that helps.

I'll post back as anything develops, but as it's intermittent it might be a while. Interestingly someone else did mention a dodgy sensor – "A common problem with early X250 vehicles is sloppy temperature measurement. At temperatures a few degrees above freezing the ECU thinks it doesn't need the glow plugs, so the vehicle is hard to start, while below freezing point it starts fine." – so I'll be keeping a log of weather. Might brave some Scottish skiing where hopefully it'll get properly cold!

Thanks again for all your help.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I checked and cleaned up the battery --> cab earth strap yesterday, but unfortunately that didn't solve it. It's in the garage later this week for its MOT so I'll ask them to replace the engine earth strap and see if that helps.

I'll post back as anything develops, but as it's intermittent it might be a while. Interestingly someone else did mention a dodgy sensor – "A common problem with early X250 vehicles is sloppy temperature measurement. At temperatures a few degrees above freezing the ECU thinks it doesn't need the glow plugs, so the vehicle is hard to start, while below freezing point it starts fine." – so I'll be keeping a log of weather. Might brave some Scottish skiing where hopefully it'll get properly cold!

Thanks again for all your help.
Have you any jump leads you could use as a temp gearbox/engine>>Chassis earth strap to see if it makes any difference.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I noticed you waited a long time after the glow plug light went out before you tried to start it. Have you tried to start it immediately the light goes out?

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I had the same (2010 Boxer). In the end a new starter motor (was about £60 on eBay) and replacing the earth strap sorted it. It's been great since.
+1 starter- motor cured mine-it wont start if it doesn't turn over fast enough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back