LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The graphic on the Luton of our van has become tatty and started to peel away where the edges have split and become ragged. Weather permitting I intend to have a look at removing it this weekend.

Has anyone any idea whether it will/should just peel off or is it likely to need some persuasion?

Any tips gratefully received, especially as I shall be up the big scary ladder to do the job :Smile:

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with the hair dryer or a hot air gun.. but not too close ..

You may need to T cut afterwards to get rid of the shadow left by the graphic, followed by a good quality auto polish, I use Autoglym

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i also agree with a hairdrier but you may need a powerful one if is windy.

to remove the last of the sticky stuff i use brake and clutch cleaner spray.
completely evaporates and leaves no residue.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Would totally agree with hair dryer but it may be better to wait till its warmer, I know we once tried to remove some lettering from the side of a van and found it difficult to get the heat where we wanted it early in the morning but later when it had warmed much easier. That was in June so now may be difficult.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Removing vinyls

I once had a lecture from a vinyl graphics company on this.

There are many different typs of adhesives used in vinyl graphics depending on purpose. You might be lucky and find with care, yours will just peel off. When peeling off, don't pull so hard that the vinyl stretches. Pull from almost the base of where the vinyl is attached.

Otherwise, use the hairdryer to heat up the vinyl. Whatever you decide to use to clean up the area, and all the suggestions so far have merit, try them on a small area first to ensure they do not react with your paintwork. I've used meths in the past and Mer polish.

Unsure whether you are replacing the graphics and how. However, if you are using a vinyl sign company, they will probably remove the old ones for you and quote an all inclusive fee. The people who did my van, worked indoors with proper scaffolding.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Petrol

Ideally do it on a hot day. Certainly the warmer the glue is, the easier they will peel off.

I have always found petrol very effective at dissolving the glue residues from stickers, sellotape etc., and it hasn't damaged the paint.

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
The graphic on the Luton of our van has become tatty and started to peel away where the edges have split and become ragged. Weather permitting I intend to have a look at removing it this weekend.

Has anyone any idea whether it will/should just peel off or is it likely to need some persuasion?

Any tips gratefully received, especially as I shall be up the big scary ladder to do the job :Smile:

Graham
we were at newark last weekend & the m/h next to our pitch a nice lad called (gazandhelz) motorhome fun name , designed & made me some graphics for my m/h look him up & i am sure he will help you out at the right money & a good job as well.:thumb:.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks once again for all the tips. Got the job done this morning. The graphic came off on several pieces because of the splits in it - a bit of gentle persuasion from the heat gun to enable a thumb nail under it and it peeled OK.

It didn't leave a lot of residue behind, mainly where it had peeled and dirt had stuck to the glue. We had a bottle of sticky stuff remover under the sink and working that in with a microfibre cloth removed it reasonably easily.

Inevitably, where the graphic was is a bit whiter than the surrounding area but that should disappear in time with normal cleaning - or if I let it get uniformly mucky ::bigsmile:

Graham

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Inevitably, where the graphic was is a bit whiter than the surrounding area

Will it not restore with a mild abrasive cleaner like 'T Cut' (or the cheaper colour restorer from the likes of Poundland, Morrisons, or Wilko, that works just as well) ?

If not I guess it must be that the sunlight has discoloured the paint not shielded by the stickers.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Peeing graphics

Here's one you might like.
calvinpeeonflyers.jpg

Ohh! Sorry, you mean PEELING!:Blush:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Will it not restore with a mild abrasive cleaner like 'T Cut' (or the cheaper colour restorer from the likes of Poundland, Morrisons, or Wilko, that works just as well) ?

If not I guess it must be that the sunlight has discoloured the paint not shielded by the stickers.

I'm not sure if it's muck or discolouration at the moment. I'm going to see how it goes with normal cleaning first of all. If it doesn't do the trick I'll go down the restorer route.

Graham

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i'm the gazz from the gazznhelz team,

deffo warm the vinyl up to get it to release the glue, the vinyl i use is 7 year rated, which is about normal for vehicle grafix used in this country, you can get 10 year stuff but it's tripple the price, and of course you can get down to 1 year vinyl, classed as temporary as it comes off pretty easily.

i use autoglym paint restorer to get rid of the fade around where the graphics have been, then a little super resin again from autoglym to get the shine back,

for new graphics, i can do die cut vinyl, this is solid coloured vinyl, i can make up pictures by inlaying different coloured vinyls, but i can't do graduations or photo type graphics, for that you need someone with a dye sublimination printer to print onto white vinyl,

i take my vinyl cutter with me to all the shows i goto, so if anyone wants any graphics making up, just pop in and see me, just ask for the rat man and someone will point you in my direction :)
going to be at peterborough show, but i can also make up graphics for people who pm me and post them out or take to the show.

i can't do really wide graphics as i only have a 12 inch wide cutter, but i found most people want widths less than this, i'm prefer doing personalization type graphics, to make your motorhome/car/bike/window/computer etc your own, i.e. the ribble valley witches i did for the van next to me at newark :)

but i can do banner style graphics as used on motorhomes for decoration, but nowadays they tend to be printed graphics, which i cant do i'm afraid.

btw, i do the vinyl cutting purely as a hobby, it's something i enjoy doing and it keeps me occupied and hence protects the others from having to put up with me wandering around with a rat on my shoulder :whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back