Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
First trip out in our 5er and were back home after just one night, pitched up yesterday 1300 hrs only took 1/2 hour before we were having our lunch so quite pleased there.
Fannied around doing little bits and pieces, cooked tea, walked the dog, tea was lovely by the way Pork chops jacket spuds beans and peas, The genny had been on since 1600hrs till 1800 hrs, unplugged it and put the heater on, within 5 mins batteries were dead, couldn't run the genny after six so went to bed in the cold at 2000hrs. Woke up at 0100 hrs with some alarm going off (the white one below the sink maggie)
managed to reset it then back to sleep for an hour before it went off again, so out in the rain with just my pants, water proof jacket and trainers on to isolate the power from the batteries. woke up at 0800hrs cooked some brekkie,walked dog etc then at 1000hrs tried the genny again, burning smell and high pitched screaming coming from 45-amp converter, no 230v from sockets although there was 230v coming from the genny, no charge to batteries i even tried connecting the 12vdc from the genny straight to the batts but that just kept tripping, so off home we went, i even had to wind the front legs up manually. Guess were im off to on easter sunday, a nice trip to Niche Marketing for them to sort it out and i will pick it up on the 15th so i possibly wont get to Camarthen now because we will have a night or two near to Niche before coming away again

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont dealers do PDIs anymore.
When your paying out the sort of money that you are doing on a 5r you would NOT expect this sort of thing to happen.
What would have happend if you had booked a ferry and were on a maiden trip to Europe???.

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Wheelie bad experience

So sorry to hear of Wheelie's bad experience. The only way from
now should be up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry to hear troubles Neil :Sad:i hope you get sorted in time for Carmarthen. It will do you good to be amongst friends for the next trip.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Dont dealers do PDIs anymore.
When your paying out the sort of money that you are doing on a 5r you would NOT expect this sort of thing to happen.
What would have happend if you had booked a ferry and were on a maiden trip to Europe???.

Here here, I would have been really pi**ed had we have been on a 2 week break, which is why we done the trial in the new forest which is only an hour from home, rather it happened there.

Roger
it depends how things go we are talking of coming from lincoln to camarthan

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Oh Neil Im sorry to hear that it hasnt been a good start for you and Jan, I hope that Niche sort it asap for you. I was waiting to be told how much you enjoyed your first break in it , Fingers crossed will try and catch you in a bit

maggie

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I think to say i would be p****d off would be an understatement,as said previously what the hell do the dealers check before you pick up,what will probably be one of the dearest investments you're likely to buy:Mad:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think to say i would be p****d off would be an understatement,as said previously what the hell do the dealers check before you pick up,what will probably be one of the dearest investments you're likely to buy:Mad:

We boought from Niche and did over 5000 miles with ours last year - we had one or two problems occur during that time - charging system failed - reason faulty fuse 3 months after collection - central heating failed some minor corrosion on the terminals 5 months after collection - Fridge failed to keep chilling - new sensor required after 6 months now we are 15 months since collection and nothing further has occured - no one knows the effects of the vibration of towing. Niche put me in touch with Duncan of Star Spangled Spanner and he talked me through the central heating and the fridge problem and the central heating was sorted same day - the fridge after 36 hours , the charging problem I sorted myself - they can only check that things are working on collection after all said and done - by the sound of it they have reacted responsibly by
calling it back to Manby - its fair to say that the central heating fan eats electric and if the water heater was left on overnight that needs 12v power run it - the batteries on a 5 er are not really capable of running a lot of kit best to shut anything off overnight and just leave the fridge on gas ( still needs 12v to operate !!) took us a while to work it all out.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
We boought from Niche and did over 5000 miles with ours last year - we had one or two problems occur during that time - charging system failed - reason faulty fuse 3 months after collection - central heating failed some minor corrosion on the terminals 5 months after collection - Fridge failed to keep chilling - new sensor required after 6 months now we are 15 months since collection and nothing further has occured - no one knows the effects of the vibration of towing. Niche put me in touch with Duncan of Star Spangled Spanner and he talked me through the central heating and the fridge problem and the central heating was sorted same day - the fridge after 36 hours , the charging problem I sorted myself - they can only check that things are working on collection after all said and done - by the sound of it they have reacted responsibly by
calling it back to Manby - its fair to say that the central heating fan eats electric and if the water heater was left on overnight that needs 12v power run it - the batteries on a 5 er are not really capable of running a lot of kit best to shut anything off overnight and just leave the fridge on gas ( still needs 12v to operate !!) took us a while to work it all out.

Dont get me wrong, greg showed me all the bits were working on collection and we have had it in dry storage for the last 6 weeks whilst we sorted out the leak in the roof (not a job i anticipated doing), then sorting out the TV areial that wouldn't wind up. the only thing that annoys me is the fact that its a 400 mile round trip and for what it cost me to get there and back taking into account time off work to deliver and collect plus fuel will be more than Niche have to spend to repair it. but in saying that i do believe greg is an honest bloke with his customers interest at heart

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
sorry about your problem---on your first trip !!
if you run out of power the gas alarm will scream--to stop it you should find the fuse for it and remove it JUST WHEN YOU HAVE TO ----AND KNOW THE BATTERY IS FLAT, at least so that you and other campers can sleep, Make sure that you have some ventilation as low as possible (just in case you DO have a gas leak !!!)
Also if you need to use front jacks with a flat battery ---plug truck into trailer and use trucks batteries (with engine running) not too much at a time though---you could overload the lead.
Is the trailer (and genny) new ??
Hope you get it sorted OK
Nigel
BTW I assume the 'fridge WAS NOT on DC ?????

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
The genny is brand new and the trailer is 3-4 yrs old, i always run a fridge of the gas this comes from my old caravaning days. I did plug in the 12v lead to the truck and tried to raise the legs but i didn't want to knacker the truck battery so i used the crank handle

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Well that was a hard day, left at 0930 hrs arrived at Niche at 1530 hrs had 2 stops on route so relatively happy with time , Greg was there waiting for us, chatted with him for about an hour regarding the faults and left at 1630 hrs good drive home back by 2030 hrs, doddle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back