Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I notice on the BBC News website today that we might try the Norwegian method of getting plastic bottles recycled.

On our Europe trip in the moho way back in 2012 we saw the same system already in action in German supermarkets. You pay a deposit on plastic bottles but when you are done with them you feed them into a machine that reads the barcode on the bottle then chews the bottle up to save space. Then it spits out a credit note for the deposit paid that you can spend in the shop.

It was a novelty to us, hence the photo.

Just shows how far behind we are in the UK.

Paul

recycle.JPG

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The last time I was at Hockenheim, if you bought a can or bottle to drink, the vendor gave you a plastic token that you had to return with the bottle to get your "pfand" or refund.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
David Cameron repeatedly refused to have a deposit system on bottles. So much for his green credentials traveling to the Arctic Circle and having a wind turbine on his house.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only problem with the 'pfand' system in Germany is that the bottles can only be returned to the same chain of shops that sold them for the refund, this can be a nuisance as there aren't anything like as many as we have in shop chains in the UK (ie more sparse) so sometimes trying to find one to recycle the bottles in can be a nuisance and we can often end up with loads kicking about in the camper!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only problem with the 'pfand' system in Germany is that the bottles can only be returned to the same chain of shops that sold them for the refund, this can be a nuisance as there aren't anything like as many as we have in shop chains in the UK (ie more sparse) so sometimes trying to find one to recycle the bottles in can be a nuisance and we can often end up with loads kicking about in the camper!
Yep, we have ended up bringing loads empty bottles all the way home.:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yep, we have ended up bringing loads empty bottles all the way home.:(
We dumped a load last year when we went to Italy as hubby was adamant that we would be travelling back up through France when we came home ... of course that was changed and we ended up going via Germany!!! :mad:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
This is a photo we took this Christmas in a village close by in Portugal, we think it might look better with LED lights shining up from the bottom. Made from 5 litre water bottles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
By heck I bet that don't half make a racket when they try to do a Maypole dance! :D

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just stop buying drinks in plastic bottles..............buy one and refill it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just stop buying drinks in plastic bottles..............buy one and refill it
okay for water but how about other stuff such as coke, lemonade etc ...

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
okay for water but how about other stuff such as coke, lemonade etc ...

never drink it - just water with added sugar/flavour.......... but if you must - buy a Sodastream (y)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Back in the 60's you would have been hard pressed to find any bottles that were refundable on the estate I grew up on, they turned into sweetie money very quickly:D

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We used plastic bottle return in Denmark/Germany way back in 1999. And 10 years ago in Germany we returned beer bottles for a deposit refund. I have milk delivered and they moved us to plastic bottles a couple of years ago but they have now gone back to glass bottles.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a problem with non alcoholic drinks as I like to avoid sugar and particularly artificial sweeteners.
A very pleasant drink I find is a smallish amount of lemon juice , about half a lemonsworth, with quite a lot of fizzy water. Quite refreshing without the nauseating sweetness of most soft drinks.
Most fizzy water comes in plastic bottles so not very green though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back