Carole Nash - Protected No Claims con? (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think a few of you know I had a rear end shunt in the MoHo last year.
I was insured with Carole Nash and to be fair the claim went through without any problem, although my van repairs has only just been completed and my repairers have yet to be paid - (less the £250 excess.).
Any hoo. I came to re-insure my 1ltr Ford Fiesta today with Carole Nash. It has gone up exactly £50 from £227 last year to £277 so I had a look around and found Direct Line quote £187 even with the accident to the van.
So pre armed I rang Carole Nash (insurances take the renewal automatically now unless you tell them different). Ok she sez I'll see how close we can get to the Direct Line quote. During the conversation the accident with the van came up. All of a sudden the attitude and conversation changed completely.
The accident in the van increased the premium by a further £150+ and will be subject to the increased premium for the next three years. Now we are at £412 for a 1lr Fiesta (that does less than 4000 miles a year) 68 year old drivers, with 15 years No Claims!
It seems my paying for protected NC is a waste of money - it don't count for some reason.
With Carole Nash any accident in any vehicle is subject to a premium payment. I hate to think how much the Van renewal due in April is going to cost with them. I expected to lose the NC on the van but that's only a few years - but not on every other vehicle including my motor bikes.
I went back to Direct Line and confirmed with them that they has taken account of the accident in the van. The total premium including protected NC came to £201. Guess who I'm insured with?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Always been the same with no claim discount/bonus.
You'll find the NCD still stands at renewal at whatever % it was before the claim....It is protected.
Problem is, you made a claim so are a higher risk to ALL insurers and the PREMIUM rises accordingly but you still get a 65/70% discount off the increased premium.

They can, of course, charge whatever premium they want.
I've had quotes from comparison sites for the same car between £250 & £1300....Inc NCD

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I don’t think that you can treat each policy as a separate entity where insurance is concerned.
I had someone run into me while driving a friends car and we both were stung on renewal plus I had increased premiums on everything else I run except the motor home.
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don’t think that you can treat each policy as a separate entity where insurance is concerned.
agreed...
All claims etc go on your file which is available to all insurers, allegedly for fraud prevention purposes.
A new insurer will simply check your claims history no matter who the claim was with.

Even enquiring about an accident which isn't turned into a claim/cancelled will go on file.
A reason to pay for relatively minor damage yourself and keep the insurers out of it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We had a claim last year when a drunk driver demolished our recovery and forecourt wall
NO increase at all this year logged as a "No fault claim"
surly a rear ender is the same is it not ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had a claim with Saga on the car last year, when renewal came round premium gone up form 170 to 365 (full NCD) after haggling they came down to 190. Didn't affect the Motorhome with comfort & some years ago I had a claim with Comfort premium didn't go up.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We had a claim last year when a drunk driver demolished our recovery and forecourt wall

Even a non fault claim is still logged as a claim and usually affects your next premium.

I was told by someone who works with n a nsurance not to bother with protecting NCD as you’ll still pay extra fault or not f you have a prang.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
had similar with aib this year got a quote for 20 less online and went back to them asking them if the renewal was the best they could do and low and behold they came back 30 under the online quote
they did ask me what the second quote was and i refused to give them the figure

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
All claims etc go on your file which is available to all insurers, allegedly for fraud prevention purposes.

It just occurred to me that if I had simply paid the £277 renewal fee. I would not have been aware that the premium was subject to the MoHo claim premium - Would I have been insured if I'd had a bump in the Fiesta? or would they have saved that bullet to shoot me with it when I made a claim.

I might highly critical of insurance companies but it's because ------ I bloody hate them all with a passion!!!:devil::mask::devil::swear2:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
My wife was in our Fiesta when a lorry turning took the rea4 bumper off. That was two years ago and since then we have been inundated with phone calls from no win no pay solicitors asking had I been injured etc. and when our Hyundai came up for renewal I was loaded because a named driver on my policy had had an accident. I have been driving since 1962 and have never made a claim. They just take the pi55.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Property George, different things.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just remind me why you claimed for the work on YOUR insurance and not the one who ran into you? Or was it your 'fault'? I can't remember the details.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when our Hyundai came up for renewal I was loaded because a named driver on my policy had had an accident.
That named driver increases the risk to the insurer.
They don't care if they are now the safest driver in the world....they had one accident so they are more likely, in their view, to have another.

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

No unfortunately it was completely my fault.
I'd just passed a parking space and reversed just a couple of feet, completely certain there was nothing behind me, - unfortunately a Renault Clio was a little less than a couple of feet behind me!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Insurance is not a discretionary purchase. Insurance companies do not exist for customers' benefit but to make maximum profit for their investors and executives' bonuses. They really don't care whether they are selling insurance, time share apartments, burgers or double glazing just as long as it's profitable.
However, many pension funds are invested in major companies so we don't want them to go broke do we?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What got my back up, was being hammered on 2 car policies and the motorhome too, :mad: when you take out insurance on a vehicle using your no claims, :rolleyes: more often than not it's only on the first policy, after that you build up no claims on the rest, when you have a knock they charge more on everything you insure. :eek: Bob.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's all a big scam I had 3 car policies 2 motorbike policies and a campervan one all running at the same time this time last year.
Now I didn't get them all at the same time so I had 1 car policy with 12 yrs nc, 1 with 10 yrs, 1 with 5 yrs , 1 bike at 3 yrs, 1 at 2 yrs and the campervan which was simply mirrored on my car policy at 12 yrs.

So if when taking out an additional policy they start you from scratch and don't automatically give you the amount you have nc on existing policies then by that same rule if you have an accident or claim on one policy it shouldn't affect your other ones.

Insurance unfortunately is one big rip off because it's a legal requirement.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We have the motorhome insured in my name and the car in my wife's, so we can get our maximum no claims on each vehicle. It is rather annoying though that my wife is quoted more with me as a named driver than I am with her as the named driver - same age, same history!

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It is rather annoying though that my wife is quoted more with me as a named driver than I am with her as the named driver - same age, same history!

Who knows - Is it .....................................because they can???

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Fault claim in the MH last year although no other vehicles involved. Both mine and the OH car insured with Aviva direct on same policy.
Renewal notice received with a 11% increase 680 up to 770. Looked around nothing cheaper so contacted them to inform them of claim in MH. No change in premium .
MH insured with Comfort also Aviva. £30 in renewal due to claim.
Excellent result all round.
Very happy with Aviva

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fault claim in my Jag while with Adrian Flux with protected NCD They jumped my premium up £300 next year, I moved and got a policy for less than Flux charged me the year before. And heres the good bit, my MOHO insurance dropped by £10.

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
Hi Stealaway
Correct me if I'm wrong but if a third party rear ended you then your insurer legal exspense boys will pursue the third party for recovery of your uninsured losses such as excess. With 100% recovery then your policy noted as non fault and premium shouldn' be affected other than natural increase.

My NFU MUTUAL policy has come down this year.....yippee.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi Stealaway
Correct me if I'm wrong but if a third party rear ended you then your insurer legal exspense boys will pursue the third party for recovery of your uninsured losses such as excess. With 100% recovery then your policy noted as non fault and premium shouldn' be affected other than natural increase.

My NFU MUTUAL policy has come down this year.....yippee.
No your insurer should be claiming off the 3rd party for all & every expense.

Insurance unfortunately is one big rip off because it's a legal requirement.
Actually the requirement is that you can " pay all 3rd party damages"
There isn't actually a requirment to take out insurance.
Years back in the 70's the cash in transit co's were uninsurable due to robberies & deposited 25k with the Attorney General to cover any 3rd party claims .This increased over the years & in 1999 you were required to depost 500k. When I looked a couple of years back ,to see whether it still existed , I'm sure it is now 25 million ?
Having said that if you have the money then not only is it one deposit covers all vehicles but you get interest on the amount deposited. win-win all round.(y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No your insurer should be claiming off the 3rd party for all & every expense.

Actually the requirement is that you can " pay all 3rd party damages"
There isn't actually a requirment to take out insurance.
Years back in the 70's the cash in transit co's were uninsurable due to robberies & deposited 25k with the Attorney General to cover any 3rd party claims .This increased over the years & in 1999 you were required to depost 500k. When I looked a couple of years back ,to see whether it still existed , I'm sure it is now 25 million ?
Having said that if you have the money then not only is it one deposit covers all vehicles but you get interest on the amount deposited. win-win all round.(y)
But in the UK you can be charged and banned from driving for having no insurance

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
buses in london used to carry their own insurance risk not sure now they are owned by so many companies

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
buses in london used to carry their own insurance risk not sure now they are owned by so many companies

You'll probably find each company covers any accident damage to third party vehicles.

Royal mail are the same, I think I was told the Police also.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But in the UK you can be charged and banned from driving for having no insurance
You have insurance when you deposit the money.

". Today, this UK law is defined by the Road Traffic Act 1988,[15] (generally referred to as the RTA 1988 as amended) which was last modified in 1991. The Act requires that motorists either be insured, or have made a specified deposit (£500,000 in 1991) and keeps the sum deposited with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court, against liability for injuries to others (including passengers) and for damage to other persons' property, resulting from use of a vehicle on a public road or in other public places."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_insurance#United_Kingdom

Last edited:

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I've had my run-in's with Carole Nash insurance over some bike policies, usually centred around the fact that each time I changed a bike on a multi-bike policy, they would tell me how the new bike wasn't compatible with existing ones, I'd have to cancel, lose a chunk of what I'd paid, and start again. It was hillarious, and expensive ! initially a 15 year old bike was on a 'modern classic' policy, to which I couldn't add a 35 year old bike because that was an 'actual classic', (cancel and lose money) then buying the same exact type of bike which the 35 year old one was, that 10 year old bike, being a small engine was a 'scoot-and-commute' policy ! could't be added (cancel and lose money) I got so sick of it, I decided to change companies when a new bike was due in a week's time. I told them on the Monday that a new bike was due on Saturday, and could they cancel my policy on the Saturday when the new company would take over. I was nice, but I pointed out why I was leaving. what did they do ? I found out when paperwork arrived on about Thursday that they'd cancelled my insurance after my phone call on Monday, and left me to ride around uninsured for 4 days !

guess who I'm not insuring with ?

regarding NCD, it 'should' (but obviously isn't) held by the driver, if the driver has had no own fault accidents then they should keep maximum NCD and be able to apply it to as many vehicles as they fancy to insure, after all, you can only drive them one at once ! clearly you should have to inform the insurance if you've been rear-ended, they want to know that you've not had 10 such accidents recently and are doing a crash-for-cash scam. They claim to have a central claims register, but them won't give you your NCD if you can't prove it on paper from your previous insurer, crackers !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back