Bad mobile signal (1 Viewer)

Neysh

Free Member
Feb 7, 2018
Funster No
Guys, a have a terrible mobile signal at home, how can I fix it?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You could try moving to a different location , where are you ?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Move house or change mobile company.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you have a modern Smart Phone and your network supports it (most do, but some MVNO's who are rebranded resellers for networks, eg Plus Net who use EE, don't facilitate it it) the easiest way would be to simply enable WiFi calling.

Simply put, your phone handsets routes your incoming and outgoing calls via your own number via your home broadband (or any WiFi connection where you don't have cellular) and you are not aware of any difference except for the little 'WiFi calling' icon showing on the handset.

This is phasing out the femtocell (eg Vodafone Suresignal) which basically did the same thing via a plugin box.

The only other way would be to purchase a Cel-Fi which is a £500+ phone booster, legal only because it allows itself to be controlled by the network. Any other phone 'booster' that both receives and re-broadcasts on the same frequency would not be legal for use in the UK.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
If you have a modern Smart Phone and your network supports it (most do, but some MVNO's who are rebranded resellers for networks, eg Plus Net who use EE, don't facilitate it it) the easiest way would be to simply enable WiFi calling.

Simply put, your phone handsets routes your incoming and outgoing calls via your own number via your home broadband (or any WiFi connection where you don't have cellular) and you are not aware of any difference except for the little 'WiFi calling' icon showing on the handset.

This is phasing out the femtocell (eg Vodafone Suresignal) which basically did the same thing via a plugin box.

The only other way would be to purchase a Cel-Fi which is a £500+ phone booster, legal only because it allows itself to be controlled by the network. Any other phone 'booter' that both receives and re-broadcasts on the same frequency would not be legal for use in the UK.

Hope that helps.
We get no signal here with either Vodafone or 02. Looking at your first paragraph how do we enable this on an iPhone? We do use WhatsApp at home and that seems to work as we bring in Wi-fi via satellite. Thanks.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We get no signal here with either Vodafone or 02. Looking at your first paragraph how do we enable this on an iPhone? We do use WhatsApp at home and that seems to work as we bring in Wi-fi via satellite. Thanks.

The Apple website is your friend here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203032

If you experience high latency (delay) via Satellite Internet, you may find that it might not work quite so well as with a fixed line broadband connection.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
The Apple website is your friend here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203032

If you experience high latency (delay) via Satellite Internet, you may find that it might not work quite so well as with a fixed line broadband connection.
Thanks for that. It’s not actually satellite broadband I don’t think. I have a small dish about 8 inches in diameter that brings it in from a repeater 2 miles away then another repeater 8 miles away, etc but where it actually comes from I don’t have a clue.:D

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
It would appear that phone signals that were marginal are now much worse or failing altogether since the roll out of 4G which I believe has a stronger signal which knocks out the weaker phone voice signals.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have an EE signal box. Its connected to our broadband and gives us a full strength 3G signal. The signal box is no longer sold but can be have second hand, make sure its been deregistered as you can't register it until the previous user has deregistered it.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we live in a small village with No signal, we have a vodafone sure signal fitted to our broadband, works a treat, full signal until you leave the house:D

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hello Addie, I'm very interested in your comments re routing phone via wifi. We have friends who have virtualy no mobile signal where they are but good broadband.
Using Android phones, any links or help would be good. Thanks
Barrie

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Why would you come on a motorhome forum to ask how to improve your mobile signal at home?

I think you might want to log onto MobileFun.com:rolleyes:

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Simply because there are a lot of people here whose common denominator is motor homes.That doesn't mean they are not knowledgeable of things other than motor homes of which they are happy to impart their knowledge.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why would you come on a motorhome forum to ask how to improve your mobile signal at home?

I think you might want to log onto MobileFun.com:rolleyes:

Chris is getting neurotic in his old age, he'll be having a go at cross channel freebies next. :LOL:
One thing for sure if she don't pay her subscription she won't be getting anymore

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello Addie, I'm very interested in your comments re routing phone via wifi. We have friends who have virtualy no mobile signal where they are but good broadband.
Using Android phones, any links or help would be good. Thanks
Barrie

The first thing to check is if your physical phone supports Wi-Fi calling, lots of cheaper Android phones don't. Operators publish a list, but it tends to be just the phones they supply/have supplied:

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
As I understand it EE use a non-standard voice over WiFi so only phones sold by them can use it.
That's why I bought they signal box to get coverage at home.
If you are looking up details the technical name for the signal box is a "fem2cell".

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Simply because there are a lot of people here whose common denominator is motor homes.That doesn't mean they are not knowledgeable of things other than motor homes of which they are happy to impart their knowledge.

Go ahead then.

How does he improve his mobile phone reception at home?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back