Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi,

Just looking at routes back from Lake Garda and quite fancy the idea of not taking the Gotthard Tunnel and going over the pass.

Has anyone done this and roughly how long does it take? We have a 24ft MH over 3500kg

I understand also that we need a Vignette for Switzerland

Gary

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I understand also that we need a Vignette for Switzerland
Gary

Not if you carefully avoid the motorways.

The passes are awesome. A few years ago in May we had to turn back because it was blocked with snow. Hence the vignette route through rather than over.

The choice is yours.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Not if you carefully avoid the motorways.

The passes are awesome. A few years ago in May we had to turn back because it was blocked with snow. Hence the vignette route through rather than over.

The choice is yours.

Thanks for that Brian, looks like we'll just have to see what its like at the time. Fingers crossed it will be clear.

We will be mostly on Motorways apart from the pass, am I right that you just buy the Vignette at the border?

Thanks
Gary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We went over the Pass many years ago in a coach so you should`nt have any problem we`ve always used the tunnel in the van. Pass is usually closed due snow early June to mid October.
If you are over 3.5T you will need to pay a Heavy Goods Tax, which can be purchased at the Border Office, this Tax is actually cheaper than the vignette as you can effectively buy for ten days, they do ask to see your V5 showing the vans weight for this reason.
The tunnel is toll free. Trying to avoid the vignette or road tax is not really worth the hassle or risk of a heavy fine if caught on a motorway.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We will be mostly on Motorways apart from the pass, am I right that you just buy the Vignette at the border?

Thanks
Gary

As far as I know, yes. You pay a similar amount but not for a full year.

Have fun....

Attachments

• Sw84 (102).jpg
    Sw84 (102).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 36

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are heading to lake garda in july for the first time and wondered what route you guys would recommend we are getting ferry in to rotterdam and thought of heading down germany we have 4 days to get there and would like to see things on the way and stop and nice town village for meals.

Thanks
Gerry

p.s.
hope you dont mind me stealing your thread

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are heading to lake garda in july for the first time and wondered what route you guys would recommend

p.s.

It's dead easy so just enjoy travelling. One of the choices is just who you feel like paying to use their roads. The Austrians. The Swiss. Or go through France and pay/avoid their tolls.

Innsbruck and the Brenner Pass is good. Luzern and St Gotthard equally good. Chamonix and Mt Blanc expensive but good.

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We are heading to lake garda in july for the first time and wondered what route you guys would recommend we are getting ferry in to rotterdam and thought of heading down germany we have 4 days to get there and would like to see things on the way and stop and nice town village for meals.

Thanks
Gerry
b
p.s.

Hi Gerry,

No problem.

We are heading up to Keukenhof for the Tulip gardens then down to Fussen in Bavaria (impressive castles apparently) then across to meet up with the Funsters at Lake Luzern and onto Lake Garda. Then straight back up to Calais

So we are getting to Lake Garda in a bit of a round about way. We have found a campsite in Wiesbaden for the first night
http://www.reisemobilhafen-wiesbaden.de/

Then onto Camping Hopfensee in Fussen for a couple of nights before heading to Luzern
Link Removed

I will make a note to let you know our findings once we return on the 22nd May

Cheers
Gary

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
We went through the tunnel two weeks ago on our way to Turkey. Bought an HGV vignette at the border, 32.50 euro's for 10 days valid for just over 12 months . You have to decrement the days every day you are in Switzerland whether or not you use the roads.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Toffs-G

I don't know what your plans are, but as you are heading for Fussen you may want to consider the Romatic Road, from Wurzburg to Fussen as part of your route, if you do and you don't mind using stelplatz in Germany, you could consider:-

Wertheim Village and Expo Caravan/Motorhome sales Stelplatz its free and the electric hookup is 1€ for 3 hours, its worth having a look around the Caravan/Motorhome sales area its massive and there is a designer type outdoor village within a short walk, albeit the town itself is to far to walk to but felt very safe place to stay overnight, parking for approx 100 MH's so should be no problem getting on albeit it was nearly full by the evening.

Nordlingen Stelplatz, Great position very close to a really nice walled town well worth spending a day, the Stelplatz has electric at most positions 2€=2kw/24hrs used 8€ overnight for fridge only, water 2€ dump free and parking free. felt very safe, behind McDonalds on the inner ring road.

Fussen StelPlatz 3 StelPlatz full Facilities, There are 3 StelPlatz on this road it also has a Lidl's and Aldi's, The first one in the road is the smalest and cheapest 13€ all in electric/water/shower, we didn't try the second one, but the last one at the end of the road has everything including a very nice Cafe/Bar with reasonbly priced food, 12.60€ + 1€=1.6kw 50c for water, showers 1€=5min. even though this one is dearer I would proberbly go there first next time, albeit the first one was fine and no problems

hope that helps, if you want Lat/Long positions pm me

Hi Gerry,

No problem.

We are heading up to Keukenhof for the Tulip gardens then down to Fussen in Bavaria (impressive castles apparently) then across to meet up with the Funsters at Lake Luzern and onto Lake Garda. Then straight back up to Calais

So we are getting to Lake Garda in a bit of a round about way. We have found a campsite in Wiesbaden for the first night
http://www.reisemobilhafen-wiesbaden.de/

Then onto Camping Hopfensee in Fussen for a couple of nights before heading to Luzern
Link Removed

I will make a note to let you know our findings once we return on the 22nd May

Cheers
Gary

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the advice and tips guys really looking forward to the drive as much as Lake Garda its self.

Gary id love to read your views once you return hope you have a good time and look forward to hearing from you.

Gerry

whisturx

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Devizes,Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Gary,

If you are going to Fussen, I would have thought it a lot shorter to cross Austria by the Fern and the Brenner Pass , down to Garda first, Milan ringroad (oh joy !!!)returning through the Gotthard tunnel to Lucerne and home through France or Germany/Luxembourg.

You would need a Go Box for Austria and stop at the Swiss border to pay the toll being over 3.5 Tonne.

Ian

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi, Toffs-G

I don't know what your plans are, but as you are heading for Fussen you may want to consider the Romatic Road, from Wurzburg to Fussen as part of your route, if you do and you don't mind using stelplatz in Germany, you could consider:-

Wertheim Village and Expo Caravan/Motorhome sales Stelplatz its free and the electric hookup is 1€ for 3 hours, its worth having a look around the Caravan/Motorhome sales area its massive and there is a designer type outdoor village within a short walk, albeit the town itself is to far to walk to but felt very safe place to stay overnight, parking for approx 100 MH's so should be no problem getting on albeit it was nearly full by the evening.

Nordlingen Stelplatz, Great position very close to a really nice walled town well worth spending a day, the Stelplatz has electric at most positions 2€=2kw/24hrs used 8€ overnight for fridge only, water 2€ dump free and parking free. felt very safe, behind McDonalds on the inner ring road.

Fussen StelPlatz 3 StelPlatz full Facilities, There are 3 StelPlatz on this road it also has a Lidl's and Aldi's, The first one in the road is the smalest and cheapest 13€ all in electric/water/shower, we didn't try the second one, but the last one at the end of the road has everything including a very nice Cafe/Bar with reasonbly priced food, 12.60€ + 1€=1.6kw 50c for water, showers 1€=5min. even though this one is dearer I would proberbly go there first next time, albeit the first one was fine and no problems

hope that helps, if you want Lat/Long positions pm me

Hi Braunston,

WOW thanks for this :thumb:I will have a good look through on Google and the map

Cheers
Gary

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Always remember the first time going over the Gothard pass in 1960 when I was six.

In my Dad's old Humber Hawk overtaking big lorries right close to the edge, God knows how it made it but the incredible views remain with me forever.:Smile:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Humber Hawk gee you are getting on (like me) I can remember trying to persuade my father when I was about six to buy one even then it seemed the height of luxury, think he bought a Ford Pop but thats another story.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back