6kg Propane (Calor Gas) Bottles (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2017
Funster No
Were off to Spain very soon, (first trip in Europe in Motorhome), we have 2 6kg bottles on board. We expect to be staying on Aires through France and probably using more gas than we would normally use in the UK as we like to use sites with EHU. Any idea how long a 6kg bottle might last with normal use, hopefully not too much heating in April. Also, can one get propane refills in Spain. Your thoughts and experience would be very welcomed.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've done 5 weeks in Spain starting in late April with 2 x 6kg of Calor, and plenty left when we got back. But we used hook-ups everywhere, and obviously it was a bit later in the year.

And we didn't go through France, but crossed from Plymouth to Santander.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If the weather is cold and you're on aires, you can get through gas quite quickly for space heating. And no way to fill or replace Callor bottles outside the UK.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
You might be OK, but I wouldn't really want to risk it. If you're not on ehu, you'll be dependent on gas for your fridge, too.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've got the same issue, has anyone got a spare repsol/cepsol 6kg (K6) bottle?

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Did two weeks south France last year only on gas and it was up to 34 degrees ,plus another week on camp sites in north. Didn’t use two 6kg and that’s with cooking as well.
Also built another Gas bottle carrier next to my spare wheel under rear it’s on its side but just swop it when one of others are empty.
That’s makes three which I probably need In Switzerland this year.
Andy

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Very difficult to answer.
In cold weather we can use 2kg+ per day.
In hot weather we can use less than 0.5kg per day.
That’s all cooking including bbq, hot water and heating.

You could always carry a third bottle in the garage (assuming ventilation is sufficient)
Worst case is that you buy a new bottle and regulator when in Spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would have thought 3-5 days per 6kg bottle depending on the weather while traverling down, once you reach the warmer weather 6-8 days per bottle. Hard to say realy spring & autum we use around 14kg in 18 days as an average but we are quite high gas users not a problem for us as we have refillables.
No you can't get calor in Spain.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Assuming you've got a Post 2002 with a built in Reg. Your friend would be a UK Butane Pigtail.

That pigtail will allow you either to buy/rent a french propane bottle (and that is as easy as calling in to any french supermarket that sells gas in bottles, and they all do). Plus the rent can be as little as 1 €. The outlet on the bottles is the same as UK Butane Calor 4.5 'dumpy' bottle; OR,
It will also fit the outlet of a Spanish Jumbo Adaptor (not Reg as you already have one built into the 'van.)
That Jumbo Adaptor will fit all the bottles you can find in Spain, be they 6kgs Repsol. or the larger Cepsa or Repsol 10kgs/11kgs.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You'll need to buy either a French or Spanish regulator to fit their different bottle connections - Sorry

But if you've already got a Reg. on the 'van, you don't want a Regulator. You need an adaptor in Spain. You don't need either for France.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
But if you've already got a Reg. on the 'van, you don't want a Regulator. You need an adaptor in Spain. You don't need either for France.

Yeah sorry it may have been a bit confusing that statement.

Here is my set up - Orange is UK Calor Propane - Blue is French Butane regulator and bottle.
Tee'd together to make it easy to swop between bottles depending which country we are in and keeping the other as the spare.
The reg screwed to the wall is the original German Reg. not used.

DSC01999.JPG

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
When you get to spain, you will need a jumbo adapter and a bottle of spanish gas plus a pigtail. You can pick up bottles from campsites as peaple sell them on and a adapter you can get from a local hardware shop about €10. I picked up a full bottle of gas, the light bottle, and a pigtail for €20. You don’t need a regulated adaptor if you have the adaptor already in motorhome. Pic shows adaptor.
0D467EAB-BBD7-4DD4-BE2E-7F891490188E.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate used 6kgs on way down recently & that would only be cooking /fridge as his water/heating is diesel. Got the 6kg calor refilled at camperstop inÁguilas

Apr 10, 2017
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2013
Fit a refillable bottle with the three adaptors you need for France, Germany and Spain and you will not regret it. We faffed around with different bottles for two years until we took the plunge. We fill up when the bottle is about two thirds empty and never worry about running out of gas.
We are in Spain right now where it is a bit chilly and going through quite a lot of gas but at €0.65 per litre it is not really a problem.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can You still get the "Camping Gaz" Cylinders, from the likes of Intermarche?. That and an adapter high pressure hose is what is required?.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also built another Gas bottle carrier next to my spare wheel under rear it’s on its side but just swop it when one of others are empty.
That’s makes three which I probably need In Switzerland this year.
Andy
You do know that they shouldn't be transported on their side don't you? o_O

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Can You still get the "Camping Gaz" Cylinders, from the likes of Intermarche?. That and an adapter high pressure hose is what is required?.
Yes you can, you won't believe the cost of a 907 bottle, I think it's over 50 euro, and just the refill is in the high twenties. And that still means lugging an half empty 907 even around if you have one. I carry an adapter around just in case I'm driven to use one.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
yet in many countries even the big gas delivery companies carry them laying down.
Don't start that one up again! It is apparently, as I found out. Luckily before there was a big bang.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
yet in many countries even the big gas delivery companies carry them laying down.
None of the major gas companies transport propane or butane lying on their side.. Certainly not Air Products, BOC, Air Liquide, Linde
However, FLT cylinders are designed to be used whilst strapped horizontally with arrow pointing down but they are specific
It is possible it can be seen that builders etc (end users) may put them in their van on the side but it is dangerous.
Certainly, gas suppliers (Calor fill for most major suppliers) transport them vertically or on a slight angle (BOC) because of the racks they are in and loaded on a pintle.
Here's a picture of typical gas supplier local delivery vehicle
uk-red-domestic-propane-calor-gas-cylinders-being-delivered-on-truck-APW9JX.jpg

However, BULK is transported horizontally
images (1).jpeg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes you can, you won't believe the cost of a 907 bottle, I think it's over 50 euro, and just the refill is in the high twenties. And that still means lugging an half empty 907 even around if you have one. I carry an adapter around just in case I'm driven to use one.

I know someone that will sell you one for a Tenner:whistle::whistle::whistle: And there is more than one for sale.(y)(y)(y)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
`
I know someone that will sell you one for a Tenner:whistle::whistle::whistle: And there is more than one for sale.(y)(y)(y)
No thanks, got one, just don't fancy carting it across Europe just in case! That's why I just carry the adapter!

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
You do know that they shouldn't be transported on their side don't you? o_O
Hi Minxy can’t see what problem is if it’s going to leek you won’t stop it ether way.
I Don,t use it on its side just transported that way and it’s done thousands of miles.
And it’s in an open locker. if anyone is transporting one in there garages you must make sure you have a gas drop hole in garage.

Andy

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi Minxy can’t see what problem is if it’s going to leek you won’t stop it ether way.
I Don,t use it on its side just transported that way and it’s done thousands of miles.
And it’s in an open locker. if anyone is transporting one in there garages you must make sure you have a gas drop hole in garage.

Andy
Basically the problem is that it is liquid and not designed to be transported horizontal. Really dangerous and more so in a confined spaces.Contact your local gas supplier. However, you'll never know the outcome.
Wo2sUmE.jpg

Others will.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Andy
For what I know which isn't gospel , you can have them lying down in transit but you should have them standing up for a certain length of time before useing them.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
For what I know which isn't gospel , you can have them lying down in transit but you should have them standing up for a certain length of time before useing them.
Not in any regulation that its permitted.
That similarity is for fridge freezers after transportation to give time for the gas to settle not gas cylinder

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not in any regulation that its permitted.
That similarity is for fridge freezers after transportation to give time for the gas to settle not gas cylinder
Ok I stand corrected (y) it was just that a calor firm sold me a bottle and put it in the boot of my car once, and it was him that told me.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
I know a gas man I will give him a ring

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun