Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
If any Funster is going to Portugal before August this year (2010), then I have a Vodafone Portugal sim card with 500 mins unused on it after my winter ::bigsmile:riving2: trip there. The time runs out in August (180 days after purchase).

This card can be used in any unlocked broadband dongle only in Portugal (no roaming). The tariff there is known as 'Vita net light' and the basic sim costs just under 15 Euro's to buy over there. It can be easily topped up at any Vodafone shop over there for 10 Euro's for 600 mins.

Vodafone 'Vita net light' works very well and I found good 3G connections almost everywhere I went, including many rural locations.

PM me if interested and I will post it on upon receipt of a UK fiver or a 5 Euro note, with any necessary instructions. In the absence of any takers, it will be going on ebay. :thanks:

Steve

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Portugal

Thanks for the info. We are going in December and will pop into the mobile phone shop to get a Sim for my dongle.

OP
OP
S

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
5er?

I might be a bit slow this evening (just had my fish and chips) but what's a 5er?

I do have an old MX5 but I've never had it referred to as a 5er.

Steve

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a 5ver is a Fifth wheel, sort of artic, a trailer towed from a special hitch in the bed of a vehicale rather than a towbar.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks for the info. We are going in December and will pop into the mobile phone shop to get a Sim for my dongle.
not an English sim mind has to be a Portuguese one or you will get roaming charges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
More info on Vita Net Light

Vodafone Portugal introduces ‘Vita Net Light’
On 06.18.09, In Mobile, By Editor

www.WirelessFederation.com/news: Vodafone Portugal has introduced a prepaid mobile broadband tariff plan dubbed as Vita Net Light. The subscribers who make a EUR 10 top-up will have mobile broadband access for 10 hours, to be used over a 6-month period with no data traffic limitations. The subscribers of this tariff plan will be charged for the internet connection time. It offers connection speeds of up to 1.0 Mbps. Vodafone have also extended the validity period of prepaid mobile broadband top-ups to 180 days.

The subscribers can acquire a Vodafone Connect Pen and Vita Net Light Card, which comes with 10 days’ mobile broadband internet access for EUR 49.90 (VAT included) or a Vita Net Light Card, also with 10 days’ internet access included, for EUR14.90.

OP
OP
S

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Vodafone Portugal sim card

This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.
In that case I'm not the guys that run around in a 5er.

I believe that the info on that press release is now out of date and that the connection speed is now 2mbps. In any case I found it to be fast, stable and more reliable than any wifi connection that I came across while over there. I can recommend it to anybody for future use both for reliability and economy. If this winters experience is anything to go by, Portugal seems to have embraced mobile communications fairly wholeheartedly.

Steve

OP
OP
S

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Vodafone Portugal Broadband Sim - NOW SOLD

Thanks for the interest - now SOLD.

Steve

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
sounds reasonable !
so what's the cheapest way to get an unlocked dongle , here in UK or elsewhere in europe
are they all the same quality ?

OP
OP
S

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Vita Net Lite - Portugal

Hi there, Just come in after a day out, read this thread again and happened to read through the press release item that Jim reproduced for readers here. I noticed that the final paragraph of the release has a significant error in it that needs correcting for the benefit of those going to Portugal in future and who may read this thread on a future date.

In two places, it states that Vita Net Lite comes with 10 days internet access on the dongle/Sim card. In actual fact, this should read 10 hours in both cases. To clarify further, the initial 10 hours and any subsequent topups will remain on the card and available for 180 days after each respective purchase.

I agree with Jim that ebay is as good a place as any to buy a dongle, unlocked or otherwise. I just bought a new unlocked Huawei E160 for my wife this week at £15 from an ebay trader. The E160 marketed by O2 is particularly useful for motorhomers as it has a jack on the side to connect an external additional antenna and thereby enable weaker signals to be pulled in if required. Some Huawei dongles have this feature, others do not.

In answer to lebesset, I noticed while in Portugal that the dongles for sale over there are identical in every detail to one's sold here, except that they will be locked (if applicable) to a local network. Most models were Chinese Huawei make and prices were similar to the UK.

Steve

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
thanks for the info chaps
I did think that the type with the aerial socket listed here would be best

Link Removed

but experience has shown me that a usb extension cable is far superior , stick the dongle in a thin plastic bag to protect it , and up on the roof with it !

and for that , of course , it is just a matter of finding the best dongle , hence my original question re quality

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sim search

Wonder if anyone can help. I have an unlocked dongle but need SIM that doesn't expire after 30 days. Are there any of these still in circulation?

Wyn

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi all
can anyone help, i have just bought a pay as you go "3" dongle for uk, what is the cheapest way to use internet in europe? would I need to buy a "3" sim card in say France??
please advise as going to france and possibily italy at end of june.
thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Wonder if anyone can help. I have an unlocked dongle but need SIM that doesn't expire after 30 days. Are there any of these still in circulation?

Wyn

Hi

you can get an O2 iPhone Sim from ebay for about £30, top up with £10 and enjoy 12 months free internet access..

Link Removed

This really works, I bought one last year and use it in an unlocked dongle ..

Hi all
can anyone help, i have just bought a pay as you go "3" dongle for uk, what is the cheapest way to use internet in europe? would I need to buy a "3" sim card in say France??
please advise as going to france and possibily italy at end of june.
thanks

I would forget using a 3 dongle abroad, or any other for that matter, the data charges are eye watering .. AFAIK , to get a French sim you need a French address ..

There are plenty of free Wifi spots.. cafe's , libraries, Mackies etc ..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Bob roaming charges on three in France are around £1 a meg, so forget it and use Wifi, spain and Portugal do at least have some cheaper services privided you buy a local simm card.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Dongle

What about the bit that reads:

'Free Unlimited internet bundle will be terminated if you use the SIM is not being used in a Genuine iPhone 3G/3GS'

Is it all bluff?

Wyn

Hi

you can get an O2 iPhone Sim from ebay for about £30, top up with £10 and enjoy 12 months free internet access..

Link Removed

This really works, I bought one last year and use it in an unlocked dongle ..

I would forget using a 3 dongle abroad, or any other for that matter, the data charges are eye watering .. AFAIK , to get a French sim you need a French address ..

There are plenty of free Wifi spots.. cafe's , libraries, Mackies etc ..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What about the bit that reads:

'Free Unlimited internet bundle will be terminated if you use the SIM is not being used in a Genuine iPhone 3G/3GS'

Is it all bluff?

Wyn

I can only say as I find, mine has been working since July 09 .. same deal, same sim , same warning

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oooh sounds interesting. Then presumably you just top it up at the end of 12 months?

Wyn

Frankly, I don't know but I suspect not

It's an O2 introductory bolt-on, so probably need to throw it away and start again..

maybe the O2 site will have info. ?

OP
OP
S

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years

The 1GB/£15 non-expiry sim cards that were found in Vodafone dongles up until December 2009 can still be bought quite reasonably from ebay and are an ideal solution for a light user motorhomer who is looking for good value:-

Link Removed

Link Removed

I don't imagine that they'll be around too much longer though.

Steve

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

The 1GB/£15 non-expiry sim cards that were found in Vodafone dongles up until December 2009 can still be bought quite reasonably from ebay and are an ideal solution for a light user motorhomer who is looking for good value:-

Link Removed

Link Removed

I don't imagine that they'll be around too much longer though.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I've gone for this option and it works just fine

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back