Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping there is someone out there who can answer a couple of questions about my fridge.
It is a 3 way dometic fridge with the small ice box. Model no RM7270 type C40/110.
It works fine on electric and 12 volt but not so well on gas. The ice box sort of freezes but the main part of the fridge is only coolish when on gas
There is a good blue flame but the fins behind the fridge don't get hot like they do with electric or 12 volt. Would the jet/burner be blocked even though there is a good flame or is it something else that could be causing the problem.
I have taken the 'chimney' off, removed the baffle and rattled some wire around to make sure there isn't any soot deposits causing problems. Will I have to be brave and take the jet out and give that a clean?
Many thanks, David

OP
OP
tinhat
Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
Hi folks, thanks for your replies.
Mrs tinhat is going to have a go at taking the burner out tomorrow and give the jet a clean out. It is quite an old fridge, 2005 but as we are in Portugal at the moment, it will probably have to wait until we get home for a service. We phoned camperserve but their earliest date available to do a service was 20th February, so we shall see what we can do ourselves. Luckily, camperserve do carry spare jets etc so we may still end up there.
So keep your fingers crossed that it all turns out OK and we have chilled wine instead of lukewarm wine. Cheers, David

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't poke anything into the jet, you run the risk of damaging it further. A good brushing should suffice.

A clue is the colour of the flame - should be blue with very little yellow in it. If it's yellow there's your problem.

OP
OP
tinhat
Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
No yellow just good blue flame, ice box now working but fridge not working, David.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I had something similar happen to mine. Turned out to be an insect in the air inlet on the jet. You may be able to clear any dust etc with the use of a can of compressed air.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I had a similar problem last year whilst at Peterborough low flame.I cleaned out the flue,cleaned the jet . Just about to give up when a chap walked up and told me the same thing happens to there fridge..He followed the gas pipe from the jet back to a valve and tapped the valve with a spanner and low and behold the flame doubled in size .It has being perfect since .He told me he found his valve sticks if it’s being stood a while in winter and once freed it’s ok till it gets a rest the following winter . Worth a try lol.

OP
OP
tinhat
Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
Hi , yes we are using a can of compressed air to blow with so not poking the jet with anything solid.

OP
OP
tinhat
Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
Will follow the jet valve tomorrow in daylight , thankyou.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi , yes we are using a can of compressed air to blow with so not poking the jet with anything solid.

Have you taken it apart? You will need to as bots of rust can drop down and stick there.
I poked my jet out with a strand of copper wire out of a mains flex. It was still working 3 years later when we sold the van.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When the blowtorch jet blocks, I unscrew it and soak it in petrol overnight, always seems to work. I expect they are similar, Just a thought.

OP
OP
tinhat
Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
Hi everyone,
Thankyou for all your replies and suggestions.
We cleaned the jet and burner, which to be honest didn't seem to make much difference, but good to do anyway.
We were thinking that we would have to take camperserve up on their offer of an appointment in 2 weeks time to do a service and buy lots of ice cubes in the meantime.
Had another look on the internet for any other ideas that might help and saw a post somewhere suggesting tapping the gas pipe all the way along it, not just at the valve. Did this and hey presto, (y) it started to get colder and by this morning the milk for breakfast was really cold!!!
Shall give it a proper clean out and service when we get back home but feel more confident of it working for the rest of our time in Portugal.
Thankyou once again, David:D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You also need to invest in a long bottle brush to clean the flue properly. Easily available and often in 99p stores. Cover or remove the gas jet before you brush as it drops out loads of rust and door. Especially if you use refillable log bottles.

OP
OP
tinhat
Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
You also need to invest in a long bottle brush to clean the flue properly. Easily available and often in 99p stores. Cover or remove the gas jet before you brush as it drops out loads of rust and door. Especially if you use refillable log bottles.

Are refillable log bottles made from wood????:LOL::D2:D:ROFLMAO:
And which "branch" of gaslow refills them???:):D:D2

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Here is man with long brush, I have used in an emergency thick twisted wire.
Now have state of the art equipment, an outer of a rear hand-brake cable. Rigid but flexible.
wire.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Are refillable log bottles made from wood????:LOL::D2:D:ROFLMAO:
And which "branch" of gaslow refills them???:):D:D2
i love posting using my phone with its predictive flaming text. always good for a laugh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back