Storage away from home , how long can you park on the drive ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
In the process of buying a motorhome and looking at insurance.
I find that Comfort (probably my favourite so far) has a limit of 36hrs for your motorhome to be on your drive instead of storage.
This seems a little tight to me.
If I understand correctly , you can call them and tell them it's going to be there longer (for loading, work or maintenance etc.) and you will be covered?

Would you please advise if this is a typical constraint on most motorhome policies etc.

Thank you.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
The insurance quote is usually based on the Post Code of the storage location, hence they are concerned if it spends a long time stored elsewhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
No - he's right. Some insurance companies are very picky about where & how long your MH is left 'unoccupied' when not in the stated/declared storage location...

@pyro has posted at length about these onerous T&C's

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We used to be with Comfort - never heard anything like that and can't imagine why you couldn't have your vehicle on your drive for as long as you like. Ours was always parked on the drive when not in use. Are you sure you have the correct information?

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sounds reasonable to me. The premium and whether or not an alarm or tracker is required is based on where the vehicle is usually kept.

So if you live in a high risk area, and tell them it’s kept in a storage compound with full security, in a low risk area, then that’s where they’d expect it to “normally” be kept.

And vice versa of course.

36 hours is quite a long time for loading/unloading/ washing etc and gives you one overnight on the driveway or maybe 2 if for example you arrive home at 10pm after a trip.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We used to be with Comfort - never heard anything like that and can't imagine why you couldn't have your vehicle on your drive for as long as you like. Ours was always parked on the drive when not in use. Are you sure you have the correct information?
I think it is because Jake Royd (the OP) has designated a different location where his motorhome will be 'officially stored'. Comfort don't like it if you try to leave the van unoccupied anywhere that is not the designated storage location.

However, I think he might be OK if he has a further conversation to advise Comfort that when it is temporarily parked at home he will be checking it closely each day.

I spotted the 36 hour rule in the Ts&Cs and queried it. Although our designated storage is on our drive, we stay in a variety of other accommodation abroad when travelling in the van - we might stay for a week at a time, so not 'occupying' the van, which is parked usually on private premises. They eventually agreed that provided I could genuinely state that the vehicle was checked by me and under close observation each day we were not sleeping in it, that was fine.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It must arise if you tell them you keep it in storage , same as if you told them you lock it in the garage at night , but left it parked in the road all the time ?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
No - he's right. Some insurance companies are very picky about where & how long your MH is left 'unoccupied' when not in the stated/declared storage location...

@pyro has posted at length about these onerous T&C's

We haven't seen @pyro for a while. Hope he's OK.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
All the quotes that I have had include a rule like this. It's fair enough when you think of it, otherwise you could insure it at a really cheap / safe location and then keep it at the risky / expensive one - to get around paying the correct premium.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I'm satisfied with the CMC motorhome insurance and the usual storage is listed as 'on the drive'.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
My last Moho was insured based on staying on the drive overnight when not being used. I told my insurer that I may have to park on the road if I am getting work done on the drive/house etc. I was told that is fine as long as it is within the AB10 post code area. I had no tracker or alarm fitted and they insisted on neither. Will be going with the same insurer when new MoHo comes in March.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for your replies.
I have not taken insurance out yet but will in the next couple of weeks.
It's cheaper (about £40 IIRC) where I intend to store it , its a Cassoa gold site. For ovious reasons.
I just wanted to know if other companies have different rules.

Have not checked with Comfort yet , presumably if I phone them if it's going to be >36hrs i will be OK ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You really need to double check with insurers and get it in writing.
They may be happy with you parking it on your drive but not on the main road.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We're with Comfort and our van has been,
'parked on drive behind security post' for the last 5 years never been a problem,maybe your post code :(

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours has been parked on our drive for last five years but it is the designated place of keeping the 36 hr rule is when you are parking elsewhere unattended there are exceptions such as at the workshops under repair etc.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We would never use a storage site, but that's our choice.
Ours is at home at the top of a very difficult drive, so if anyone tried to steal her they'd be in bother....2 B.Collies might have something to say about it as well.:sneaky:
Besides that MrA likes to put the heating on now and then during the winter and do general tinkering and checks, he enjoys it.(y)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Never heard of a 36hr limit. We have had a variety of different insurers over the last 35 years who have asked where the van was to be stored and never balked at the 'on the drive' reply but probably added a few extra quido_O currently with Adrian Flux.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Never heard of a 36hr limit. We have had a variety of different insurers over the last 35 years who have asked where the van was to be stored and never balked at the 'on the drive' reply but probably added a few extra quido_O currently with Adrian Flux.
No, indeed, they wouldn’t balk at that because that’s where you told them you parked it.

They’d certainly have something to say though if you decided to park it unattended (I.e not camping, but just keeping it there) elsewhere for a few days and hadn’t told them....

It’s all to do with letting the insurer understand the exact nature of the risk, enabling them to price and put terms in accurately. You change one of your disclosed facts/answers to a sprcific question and didn’t tell them, you are likely to find you don’t have the cover you thought you did...

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No, indeed, they wouldn’t balk at that because that’s where you told them you parked it.

They’d certainly have something to say though if you decided to park it unattended (I.e not camping, but just keeping it there) elsewhere for a few days and hadn’t told them....

It’s all to do with letting the insurer understand the exact nature of the risk, enabling them to price and put terms in accurately. You change one of your disclosed facts/answers to a sprcific question and didn’t tell them, you are likely to find you don’t have the cover you thought you did...
Spot on - that is the point that that needs to be understood in respect of MH insurance.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We are no longer with Comfort as the cost rocketed last year, but when we were they insisted it could only be parked on the road outside the house for 36 hours max, but if it was on our land, no problem.

The new company state it must not be parked overnight (11pm to 6am IIRC) in the road outside the house. We simply drive it onto our land, the width of a pavement different, but keeps them happy.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I thought ? that Comfort say it must be on own drive or in secure storage. Else maximum 36 hours elsewhere unless actually in use?

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Comfort give a 10% discount for your Motorhome being kept at a secure storage location, so the difference would be around £30 to £40 depending on your quote, if you wanted to keep it on your driveway. I asked the same question of Comfort two weeks ago, they did state if I wanted to keep it on the drive longer to just call and tell them.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I remember @JockandRita Jock having this problem, he must be with Comfort :rolleyes: we have never had a decent quote from them, might be our post code being Norwich NR 1 ;) but with clauses like that I wouldn't use them anyway. :LOL: Bob.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
We are no longer with Comfort as the cost rocketed last year, but when we were they insisted it could only be parked on the road outside the house for 36 hours max, but if it was on our land, no problem.

The new company state it must not be parked overnight (11pm to 6am IIRC) in the road outside the house. We simply drive it onto our land, the width of a pavement different, but keeps them happy.

Thats interesting. I will phone them and check if this is the case for me.
This would not be a problem, I'm on a bend where you would not park a MH anyway. So if on the drive I may be ok.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Not a problem with NFU. Ours has parked on the drive since we've had it (when we are not away in it)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just lets clear up one thing. Comfort have no problem with you storing it on the drive ......... as long as that is where you have told them you are storing it. I know that for sure because I am with Comfort and that is where my motorhome is stored. The problem occurs when you have told them you are storing it on a secure site somewhere else and then don't for more than a stated time. That would be the same whether the "somewhere else" was your drive, or the hard shoulder of the M1!

I think most insurers have a similar requirement, or the ones i used all have had. If you stop storing your moho where you said you would you have to tell them.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Indeed. An insurance quote is based on what you tell them, ie where it is stored. Ours is on the drive beside our bungalow, if it is stored anywhere else, if only for a few hours, then it is simply not insured. As an example, when it goes for service and could spend a few days at the Dealers, then I have to tell them and get their written agreement that it is still covered. When we had our drive re-laid, one of our neighbours kindly allowed me to store it on their drive for a week. I could see it and touch it over the low joining wall, but I still told the Insurers just in case. Or am I paranoid. :emo:

Last edited:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We have lived in a quiet area for more than 25 years, yet the insurance company still load us £50 for the privilege of parking our MH outside our house. As its on the public road as our drive way is not big enough :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back