can I add a secondary solar system? (1 Viewer)

biglamin

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
my 2014 autosleeper has an installed solar system - don't know what size as it was there when we bought the van. the dealer reckons it could be an 80w as this was an upgrade offered at the time the van was new. We have two 110 leisure batteries which don't seem to hold their power - especially when compared to our previous van when 130w kept them fully charged permanently

anyway,can I simply add an independent solar system directly to the batteries, but in addition to the existing system going through the seargant control? I thing this system allows only for a max 120w of power

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Why not i did just hooked up another one to the existing system
as long as it is secure its not hard to do with modern materials
i will be adding another one when i get one cheep enough
bill

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Amazing thread title - I thought for a minute God had written it.

Maybe have a word with Prof. Steven Hawking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

biglamin

Free Member
Oct 26, 2016
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
lol magicsurfbus!!!!
cheers Wildbill but I don't want to add to the existing system. want a bigger panel than this allows

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes, you can have multiple systems, connected via their own controller.
This is now Vanbitz connected my two solar panels, each with their own controller

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
lol magicsurfbus!!!!
cheers Wildbill but I don't want to add to the existing system. want a bigger panel than this allows
look like a new start then new controller but existing wiring could well be utilized so no hole cutting or drilling to do
would be interested in your old on when you do up grade
bill

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Two systems on ours, no problem, but both go straight to batteries.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Two independent systems are better than one, due to resilience.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
This keeps coming up... it is obviously possible and works but I think it needs a bit thought to make sure you get the best from both systems..
Not a problem if the batteries are loaded and both systems will feed into it.. but I keep thinking it' possible for one system not to contribute if the controllers are miss matched and the batteries are only taking a charge...
The controller with the higher voltage will do the work, where as
If it was one system the batteries might benefit from a slightly higher charge current ... most probably splitting hairs but thats' what I think...
I'll be put right shortly I'm sure..:D
Andy.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
It isn't an aeroplane. Or a spaceship :D
Aircraft often have "triplex" ( ie 3) systems monitoring sensors and instruments. If you have two sensors monitoring something, and get different results, then which one is right? A modern triplex system will allow a computer to determine if one of the sensors is faulty.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before going down the route of installing more solar panels why not check the state of your actual batteries ... if they are not holding charge as well as your previous MH then it may simply be that they are stuffed and need replacing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This keeps coming up... it is obviously possible and works but I think it needs a bit thought to make sure you get the best from both systems..
Not a problem if the batteries are loaded and both systems will feed into it.. but I keep thinking it' possible for one system not to contribute if the controllers are miss matched and the batteries are only taking a charge...
The controller with the higher voltage will do the work, where as
If it was one system the batteries might benefit from a slightly higher charge current ... most probably splitting hairs but thats' what I think...
I'll be put right shortly I'm sure..:D
Andy.
Andy you are right that one controller will start to cut back when it sees that the voltage is high enough, but at this point a single controller would give the amps to maintain charging voltage, just my thoughts.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back