newbie ! thinking of traveling to France in August (1 Viewer)

Rebecca Borman

Free Member
Feb 2, 2018
wrexham, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 746
Exp
since 2017
Hi everyone we have 10 days off during august i would love to go to France in the MH but i don't know where to go what to see ( rubbish i know) we used to have a sited caravan but have now got a motorhome but i really struggle with where to go.
I love walking, beach, biking ( on quiet roads ) and the warm sun ! Really want a family adventure but don't know where to start.
thank you in advance

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
With only ten days you would be unwise to head for the South of France as you would lose much of your holiday just driving?

If you like beaches, Normandy and Brittany have many, as well as attractive Villages.

Directly South of Calais you drive for half a day and be in the centre of the Champagne region. Nice scenery, good wines, and generally good weather, but no beaches.

South East of Calais is Alsace. Spectacular villages of halftimbered houses, vineyards, great white wines and countryside with a Germanic feel, but again no beaches.

The trouble is France is so large, with so many beautiful areas.

The main advice is get the book “All the Aires, or download “campercontact” for details of free or very cheap overnight locations.

Also be aware that August is the month when the French population head for the coast. It can get very busy on coastal campsites. Inland ones are quieter and will probably have good swimming pools.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Rebecca Borman

Rebecca Borman

Free Member
Feb 2, 2018
wrexham, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 746
Exp
since 2017
thank you, as long as the kids have a pool they are fine so maybe inland would be good, I have ordered the book called "camperstop europe" so waiting for this to arrive so i can have a look whats on offer :.)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi everyone we have 10 days off during august i would love to go to France in the MH but i don't know where to go what to see ( rubbish i know) we used to have a sited caravan but have now got a motorhome but i really struggle with where to go.
I love walking, beach, biking ( on quiet roads ) and the warm sun ! Really want a family adventure but don't know where to start.
thank you in advance

I would aim for South of the line between Tours and Troyes where the weather is generally better and more reliable.

Is your trip 10 days in total or 10 work days?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I like the way you use the words biking ( on quiet roads ) France in July and August is very busy main holiday season for Continental Europe.
have a look at www.eurocampings.co.uk you will not get the out of season discount in August but at least you can view the sites

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
thank you, as long as the kids have a pool they are fine so maybe inland would be good, I have ordered the book called "camperstop europe" so waiting for this to arrive so i can have a look whats on offer :.)

Don’t forget sites near lakes and rivers, most have “beaches” and are a great adventure for kids...

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello Rebecca,

I think you'd really enjoy the Ile de Re. It's an island off the coast opposite La Rochelle, so not too far to travel. You reach it by road bridge. You can cycle all over the island - its tailor-made for bikes! We love it

OP
OP
Rebecca Borman

Rebecca Borman

Free Member
Feb 2, 2018
wrexham, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 746
Exp
since 2017
Hello Rebecca,

I think you'd really enjoy the Ile de Re. It's an island off the coast opposite La Rochelle, so not too far to travel. You reach it by road bridge. You can cycle all over the island - its tailor-made for bikes! We love it

oh yes this looks just what i was looking for ! thank you so much

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Obvious choices of the Islands (Re, Noirmoutier and Orleans) along with Brittany but its August.
Its pay through the nose time unless its late August.
Previous post suggestion of below Tours to Troyes line sounds like a cunning plan to me.
There are numerous beaches on numerous lakes and rivers and nowhere near as busy or expensive as the coasts. All the islands are fantastic for cycling, but there are some great areas south of Paris.
If you havent been to France in your motorhome yet but have previously had a static, I would suggest reading up about Aires (which are mainly free) and can be right alongside lakes and rivers for the kids to swim in. I would also be tempted to buy a book called "Wild Swimming In France". It will give you a flavour of where you can go swimming (free of charge) in fantastic spots. We spent our first 4 years with this book as our tour guide.

If i were in your position, I would go to Alsace, down to the Juras back up to Troyes and home.
Google, Eguishem, Colmar, Dole, Cascades du Herrison, The lakes near to the cascades, Clairveaux les lacs, Mesnil st pere (lac du der) that is a flying visit in 10 days and is quite doable without spending anything more than diesel money and ferry crossing. (all that savings could give you the money to visit disneyland on the way back)

OP
OP
Rebecca Borman

Rebecca Borman

Free Member
Feb 2, 2018
wrexham, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 746
Exp
since 2017
yes going to book 3 nights i think and slowly make our way down and back up (getting excited)
@Rebecca Borman
Please be aware, as I said above, it will be very busy in August along the coast. The lle de Re is in a very popular area. You may well be advised to book.

OP
OP
Rebecca Borman

Rebecca Borman

Free Member
Feb 2, 2018
wrexham, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 746
Exp
since 2017
Obvious choices of the Islands (Re, Noirmoutier and Orleans) along with Brittany but its August.
Its pay through the nose time unless its late August.
Previous post suggestion of below Tours to Troyes line sounds like a cunning plan to me.
There are numerous beaches on numerous lakes and rivers and nowhere near as busy or expensive as the coasts. All the islands are fantastic for cycling, but there are some great areas south of Paris.
If you havent been to France in your motorhome yet but have previously had a static, I would suggest reading up about Aires (which are mainly free) and can be right alongside lakes and rivers for the kids to swim in. I would also be tempted to buy a book called "Wild Swimming In France". It will give you a flavour of where you can go swimming (free of charge) in fantastic spots. We spent our first 4 years with this book as our tour guide.

If i were in your position, I would go to Alsace, down to the Juras back up to Troyes and home.
Google, Eguishem, Colmar, Dole, Cascades du Herrison, The lakes near to the cascades, Clairveaux les lacs, Mesnil st pere (lac du der) that is a flying visit in 10 days and is quite doable without spending anything more than diesel money and ferry crossing. (all that savings could give you the money to visit disneyland on the way back)

will look into this also maybe this might be better for first time. and i do love free camping

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
How old are the kids, can they swim, and how far do you as a family cycle in a day ?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you decided where you would be making your crossing? If it will be to Calais/Dunkerque (shortest and cheapest) you will be starting from eastern France or St Malo/Le Havre (closer for UK port) will make a difference. Do not underestimate how vast France is. Such a lot to see. If you go to the west and are near Nantes a visit to 'Les Machines' is not to be missed. The kids (whatever their age) will love it. Also if near Cholet a visit to 'Puy Du Fou' is one you will never forget but set aside two days, you won't see it all in one. They have a very large aire so no problem there.

All in all don't plan too much. It is best to just bumble about stopping off at the villages and seeing what there is to see.

Whatever you decide have a great time.

Wyn

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
yes going to book 3 nights i think and slowly make our way down and back up (getting excited)
If this is first visit to France you are in for a treat. Just take your time, get off the beaten track and experiment.

Of particular interest is food. France has some wonderful “fancy” food but also basic food, well cooked. Look out for a café or restaurant, at lunchtime, advertising Menu de Jour. in our area we can still get a three course lunch, plus cheese course and a glass of wine or beer for 13.50€.
Look for local cars parked outside to find the best ones,

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
oh yes this looks just what i was looking for ! thank you so much

As lovely as Ile de Re is.. In August it's going to be "rammed"....
Like most French beach places in the busiest month of the year..
Not something I would recommend for a first visit, Now if that was September and kids back at school. (y)(y)

I would agree with the suggestions on staying inland, you have the French aire system so you will be sorted for water, toilet disposal etc. There are some great locations and as said, some inland lakes have man made beaches etc..
We have travelled down the centre following the N10 on route to our place in Spain for a few years. With grandkids on board and we have some regular stops we use where the kids can play on parks, ride bikes, use open aire pools / lakes...

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hello Rebecca,

if you decide to take ferry from Portsmouth to say Caen.or St. Malo you will be in the sun much quicker and in the midst of all the camping sites that abound in Brittany or travel a little bit to the Loire valley .many lovely sites along the Loire with beaches ,plus beautiful chateaux..what ev er you do dont rush ...just enjoy.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Welcome to Fun.
Have a great time.
Take heed of advice on here about busy August.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We used to take our kids to the Morvan area in Burgundy. Lake Settons is fabulous for swimming, the water is warm and there are plenty of sites on the lake. There are trails everywhere and you can cycle around the lake virtually traffic free. We went high season but it was really quiet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back