Insurance cover for countries outside europe? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Apologies if this has already been covered.

What do folks do if they wish to travel to, say, Croatia and/or Morocco and their vehicle insurance only covers for third party in those countries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Croatia, not only is it in Europe it is also in the EU. Most companies cover Croatia as standard except NFU. Morocco, most will issue a green card for, Comfort & anyone who's underwriters are Aviva chagre around £23 a week + £20 admin fee

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, we're with NFU. I hadn't realised that there are a lot of countries where there is third party insurance only - I've received a list from NFU of the countries where full cover is applicable. Better to know beforehand than be caught out so I'm grateful for the post here which flagged up the issue.

What is the green card?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think NFU cover third party but we wouldn't risk going with that level of cover which I guess is the minimum level required.

Is anyone else insured with NFU and travel to Croatia, etc?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think NFU cover third party but we wouldn't risk going with that level of cover which I guess is the minimum level required.

Is anyone else insured with NFU and travel to Croatia, etc?

We did last year
Without realising we only had third party cover
Wouldn’t risk it again

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We didn't know either Robert. I just happened to see a thread about it here... slightly alarming!

I was surprised that Croatia isn't covered. It was on our planned places to visit and still will if I can find out how to get cover. I was also slightly surprised that Turkey is covered.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We didn't know either Robert. I just happened to see a thread about it here... slightly alarming!

I was surprised that Croatia isn't covered. It was on our planned places to visit and still will if I can find out how to get cover. I was also slightly surprised that Turkey is covered.
Didn’t realise Turkey was covered.

My plan is to stick with NFU for 2 years, until the new for old cover expires. Will then change to an insurer who includes Morocco and Croatia

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
03871ED6-FD53-4C22-BED4-69C16068E153.png

This is Comfort Insurance and comforting!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Alistair I think that the cover is third party only when it is the compulsory insurance requirement of that country. That's what I found confusing. It wasn't till I actually asked NFU for a list of the countries that full comp applies that it became clear as to which countries were covered fully and where third party cover applied.

I'm not saying that Comfort doesn't provide blanket fully comp cover but it might be worth checking exactly what they mean about the 'compulsory motor insurance' .

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It appears that your cover doesn't include Croatia and Morocco either... or am I missing something? Interestingly, yours doesn't cover Turkey which NFU do - something I was surprised at

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Alistair33 I think you are trying to confuse us, your first pic is Comfort C of Ins, that only shows 3rd party cover but I know in their policy they give you full comp in Croatia & Morocco. The 2nd pic you posted looks like it's from a Safeguard policy which does not give you cover for Croatia & Marocco.
Perhaps someone with a Safeguard policy could confirm, I think they will issue a free greed card that gives you cover in these countries.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Yep it’s me that’s doing the confusing, apologies, they are both extracts from our Safegaurd policy not comforting :unsure:

Again sorry for the confusion

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think it would be helpful if insurance companies actually listed the countries where comp cover extends to and those which it doesn't. It could result in a very expensive mistake in the case of a claim. Certainly I had no idea we wouldn't be covered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It is not obvious I only found out about NFU because I was looking to see if they covered Montenegro & Albania. Croatia being an EU country you would expect it to be covered.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think it would be helpful if insurance companies actually listed the countries where comp cover extends to and those which it doesn't. It could result in a very expensive mistake in the case of a claim. Certainly I had no idea we wouldn't be covered.

I thought that if it is on the 'green card' then it extended the UK full comp coverage ?
Fortunately here the 'green card' covers every country listed on the actual green card including Croatia,Bosni<-Hertzogovinia,Russia;Morocco. etc,

Apologies if this has already been covered.

What do folks do if they wish to travel to, say, Croatia and/or Morocco and their vehicle insurance only covers for third party in those countries.

I'm actuaslly far more concerned about being in the UK with t,p,f&t only.:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back