HAVE YOU ARRIVED???? (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
During my restful periods, while waiting for work to start, planning my trips etc, I often think about my next, project, holiday, things I would still like to achieve etc,,,,

I am an eternal optimist,, I believe I will achieve more,
improve my circumstances,
Bank balance,
relationship status and be happier within myself in the end!! Now where is the end??

I will still work,, till I drop!!
I will try to better my situation most days,,
And I will continue to strive for more money, security etc every month!!!

I know I’m not there yet, I honestly believe I will get there in the end,,,, but I have no idea where or when the end is!!!

Now my question,,,,,,,

In this journey called life,,,,
Have you achieved all you wished for?
All you expected,
And at your stage in this game of life, are you happy with your lot, and not interested in pushing for a bit more????

Has life exceeded your expectations, both with work, relationships etc, or do you feel there is more to come????

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Ian after the year I’ve had , I don’t mind anymore if we don’t have much , we are happy and comfortable and I’m alive!!! The rest would be a bonus but not an essential.:)

Maybe your last year anthea has given you some comfort now? I’m glad your ok! Xxxxx

And I missed you!!! Xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I’ve achieved everything I wanted except financial stability, fingers crossed on that as I don’t want to work another ten years if at all possible.

Happily married
Two children, 18 & 19
Two dogs
Mortgage nearly paid
Campervan nearly paid
Two motorcycles.

Who knows what the future will bring, but it doesn’t matter what you have done in the past, your health of you and your loved ones is not guaranteed so enjoy it whilst you can. If we had scrimped and saved up till now the mortgage would be long gone and our pension pots bigger, but we would not have enjoyed many other things.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I never had any burning ambitions- except when left as a single parent to be able to pay my bills( months of worry) and to be a good mother. Daughter is 40 this year - uni lecturer and I have 3 grandchildren who are the light of my life. Always been in full time employment but now looking forward to retirement. Just wanted to Do my Best ( was a brownie!!)Since we got the motorhome I now have loads of ambitions for travel -but work gets in the way. I have been very lucky in life, work has been interesting tho difficult- but problem is giving it up in case I get bored.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We have a good life with a fair work/leisure balance .. I dream of tomorrow but live for today. I want more money but probably will never be rich. We have a optimistic "if it's meant to be it will be, if not, it wasn't meant to be".
Want what you have ... not ... have what you want.

Phil

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Having lost my brother and sister in the last four years, and with my best biking mate in Addenbrookes recovering from cancer, my philosophy now is even more, live each day as it comes, and buy more

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
In my mid 30's I started to introduce 5 year plans. These mainly surrounded job and work targets but also some educational aims. Managed to achieve most of these. Now i'm 65 I don't want to 'tempt fate' so avoid such ambitious timescales. I'm not a religious person but sometimes I feel that when you get a bit self satisfied, someone, somewhere sends you a reminder of how unfair life really is.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I was talking to my neighbour yesterday, he is 88 years old and not in bad form although creaking a tad. I said to him "you have another 20 years before you" his reply "Rather 2 years with good health than 20 years ill" and he was very serious. I do not have the comfort of religion in my life as do some of my friends but many years ago in Skipton O found this little nugget of golden wisdom by which I TRY to live.

http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html

Many will rememer this song.

La Desiderata.

• Max Ehrmann

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Coincidently - we were relaxing outside a bar in the Alps after a great few hours of skiing, looking at the scenery and counting our blessing and remarking how lucky we are.

We have created our own good luck in as far as our financial security goes and worked hard for it. As for health and happiness, you never know what is round the corner so I am thankful for what we have now and intend to make the most of it.

When I am frustrated or cross, because the vans untidy or Colin has left stuff everywhere or generaly making a mess, I do have to remind myself I could still be on the treadmill of work and dashing around at others beck and call.

Have I arrived? Yes in most respects but always looking for the next adventure or challenge.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
"HAVE YOU ARRIVED????"

Never really known where I was going, or had any great ambitions to get anywhere, but happy with what we have and have had(y) .... got to the point now where the sat-nag says "Do a U-turn", so heading back to the start now!:rolleyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@jetlag03 having been raised as a Catholic I always remembered that ...good words.
But having decided as I grew up not to follow religion the advice in this song I always thought was good. I do try and think that way but if be lying if I said I always followed it's advice ...youve probably heard it but here's the link.
Weird coincidence on name similarity aswell.

With regards to your question @ianthebuilder ..actually I was probably closer to having arrived this time last year , I had a house nearly paid for ...12 years left on mortgage, no other debts, 3 cars a vw camper van 2 motorbikes and a pretty decent paid job.
But I wasn't content I rattled around the house on my own , disliked my job and dreamed of something different....decided to do this and sold everything and left the job.
Whether that was a good move or not i will let you know later....im trying to keep in the everything will work out mindset ha ha
Problem is I've no idea what I want in life

Which funnily enough is one of the lines in the song above .

"Don't worry at 22 what you want to do with your life ...some of the most interesting 44 year olds still have no idea " or summit like that ha ha

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I had been a very busy man for many years but have slowed up somewhat since I turned 50 a couple of years ago after a health scare (not mine). Now my work/life balance is probably how it should have been years ago buy hey ho, ambitions and all that, can't change the past.

1 son @ 26 is a lawyer
1 son @ 23 is a maths/physics/interstellar, no idea student (he was howling ta the moon last night for some reason)
1 son at 5, lazy b'stard, but hey, it's a dogs life :D2
Only 6 years left on mortgage because I prefer to spend my money on non-essentials rather than pay of the mortgage :D
Retirement home (downsized to 2 beds) already bought and payed for and rented out
New Moho coming in March
New 530D M-Sport xDrive coming in April
New Suzuki Vitara coming in April
Planning to retire @ 55 (30 months away) but may carry on, the wages are good and I like spending them:LOL:
We are financialy secure, well, I am but my wife will have to work on a bit ;)

I had no expectations or wishes but as a young man but I had many dreams of achieving something by working/studying hard at it and you know what, I think I have done OK. But, having gone through some pain as a lot of others have, the most important thing is health, happiness, having a roof over our heads and food, even smart price cornflakes if I had to ;) oh, better not forget our pooch (y) So, the non-essentials above are just that and I would swap it all for the essentials. However, I do intend to carry on enjoying what I can because it can be taken away in a heartbeat .

Arrived, not yet, still on the journey and long may it continue :D

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Life is full of ups and downs, good health is the key for without it the future will always look bleak. I managed to come out the other side from a divorce with a family who think the world of me. I managed to meet another really fantastic lady. Life is that good that even my ex wife has moved back in with us.:D

You might have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess Ian but when you do find her make sure she is a princess who owns her own castle and you will be sorted.;)(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Through a mixture of hard work and good luck I have achieved most of what I wanted to do. Retirement, with a good pension, family harmony and, so far, good health.

My only outstanding ambition is to draw my pension for more years than I paid into it.;)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Ooooh Ian you're deep today For me Being There is about being happy with not much. To be honest I've had to learn how to appreciate the small stuff. Took years of working at it. But worth the effort Just got got to get rid of illogical anxiety now. :LOL:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wouldn't say I've arrived as I hope there will still be a journey ahead.

I'm very happily married, enjoy good health, am financially secure, don't owe any money and am about to start retirement. I have hopes and plans for the future.

I count myself as being extremely fortunate.

During my 'journey' I have had tragedy to contend with (death of a child) and have had very difficult and dark times in my life but have come out the other side. I would say this has made me appreciate what I have.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’m really happy with my lot as I’ve got a good wife and sole mate (Pat),
4 daughters and 1 son.
15 Grandchildren
4 Great Grandchildren and another on the way.
Our fantastic Cockapoo Roxy.
Life is good.

John.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Dec 2016, my wife and I hit the "golden" age of 65. Our smallish but livable pensions were being paid and we began to plan for the next stage of our lives. April 2017 brought us the devastating news of non treatable cancer, my beautiful wife of 46 years passed away 10 weeks later in July. Fast forward to Jan 2018, I'm surrounded by recently acquired "stuff" that now holds little or no interest for me as there is no "other half" to share it with.

The only things that now have any "real" value are my daughters and grand kids and of course, a lifetime of memories.

I appreciate many of the comments on this topic are about achievements and recent purchases but please, please also remember, days of our lives cannot be put in saving accounts. Extra days are not available for purchase but all of them can be taken away in the blink of an eye.

The topic asked "Have you arrived" ..... well if my life was a game of Monopoly ..... I/we had all we wanted and lost it on the roll of the dice.

Now I'm just trying to find a way to start again, find the road forward and live each day with the hope that life will get better.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
@Tibbo so sorry to hear of your loss - do remember though, that bad times don’t last for ever. I’m sure you have had other bad times in your life, as have I. I have recently had a tattoo of a phoenix on my arm to remind myself that no matter how bad things get, I can rise up and move on. I’m very lucky with my life now, and very happy, but I try to live every day well, as I know things can change. I’m sure your lovely wife would want you to dust yourself down, and go out an seize life by the b***s!

Attachments

• 2024B17A-0D80-4224-B5EF-B9E7600C7F58.jpeg
    2024B17A-0D80-4224-B5EF-B9E7600C7F58.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I don't know if I've arrived because I havn't a clue where I'm going o_O and my destination changes by the week in my head, so I just put one foot in front of the other and turn around when I bump into a wall... :)

Or a Chippendale!! Xxxxx

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have I arrived? not really, always thinking of where to go next.
Life's ambition, even before I thought of work, family, relationships, was to have a dormobile. Never got one of those but have been motorhoming in one form or another since the late 80s, so in that respect yes I have arrived, certainly am content.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
So,, as a group of people of a mixed age I’m getting the feeling of genuine happiness and relaxation,,,, Some are wealthier than others,
( in monetary terms) some have had upsets and even tragedies in their lives,,,

But from what I can gather on here,, We’re all smiling and well, and whatever the situation, we’ve all seemed to come through it!!! Good,,,,,

I knew we were a happy bunch!!! Lol xxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back