DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe Prices Down! (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A couple of week ago I was looking at booking a ferry came out at £210 including 20% old farts discount but didn't get around to booking it.

Just booked, result £89.60 return going out Mon 12th March back on Fri 20th April.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Do you have to be an old fart or can anybody book? :D2
You have to book by phone, be over 60, disabled or a student, then regardless of these criteria for everyone else on the ticket the whole ticket is discounted. Been using the service for 50 years with various operators, even with my parents when the car was driven onto a pallet with a chain at each corner and craned onto the deck when the operator was British Rail (Dieppe still is only a 15 mile drive from home (y) )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
You have to book by phone, be over 60, disabled or a student, then the whole ticket is discounted regardless of these criteria for everyone else on the ticket. Been using the service for 40 years (various operators) as Dieppe is only a 15 mile drive from home (y)
So if I am a mature student, one legged and Old before my time, I should be OK? (y)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Out of interest I just had a look at Dover prices, Dover/Calais £124, Dover Dunkirk £112, Newhaven also saves us 400 miles on a round trip & we only live 20 miles from the port.:)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Have look on the DFDS site then for Newhaven/Dieppie if you are over 60 take 20% off.

Approx £170 return for March (2 adults, 7mx4m MH).

Less 20% (oh yes, not only over 60 but getting another year further on Friday!) = £136

AFerry continuing to have problems, only quoting LeShuttle at £210. Dunkirk has been approx £100 when I've looked previously.

Newhaven and Dover are a similar distance from Norfolk, so Dieppe might give us a bit better start heading south. Worth considering!

Gordon

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Less 20% (oh yes, not only over 60 but getting another year further on Friday!) = £136
Just changing the crossing one day either way will change the list price by £30 each way.
:birthday:
Newhaven and Dover are a similar distance from Norfolk, so Dieppe might give us a bit better start heading south. Worth considering!
Will probably save you getting on for 100 miles each way on the French side.

Last edited:

PEM

Jun 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Great feature just booked one way for 5th March cheaper than Dover Calais and saving about 150 miles of travel:D thanks for the tip off Lenny

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Thanks Lenny, got our return crossing from Dieppe for £68 so chuffed, she said they had a special offer on for Motorhome's, wish they would put the ferry back on from St Nazaire to Gijon as well

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We used the Newhaven Dieppe last year, arrived late Friday, straight onto the aires at Dieppe under the cliff, superb market on Saturday, left at lunchtime beautifully relaxed. The ferry was fine, the price was good, and on our return we stayed at great aires at Montville near Rouen, not far from the port. Very enjoyable, but the only reservation for us is that it takes 3 hours to get to Newhaven, nearly as long as to get to Dover. Good for a cheap short break, we thought.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny, got our return crossing from Dieppe for £68 so chuffed, she said they had a special offer on for Motorhome's, wish they would put the ferry back on from St Nazaire to Gijon as well
68 Quid! you obviously you don't like travelling at sociable hours. (y)

I thought coming back at 7 am was bad enough, Will have to get up a 6 that's 3 hours kip I've missed.:(

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just changing the crossing one day either way will change the list price by £30 each way.
:birthday:

Will probably save you getting on for 100 miles each way on the French side.
Calais to Rouen about 3hrs 15 mins,,Dieppe to Rouen 30 mins,,big difference,,BUSBY.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Newhaven - Dieppe has only a couple of sailings per day which limits choice a bit but on the upside, in all my years of using the service before and since we joined the E.U. I have only once, about 4 years ago, seen any sign of migrants (about 20) at Dieppe and that was absolutely no problem. (That could be more a reflection of unattractive Newhaven town!). I like Newhaven port though; it's small, relaxed and friendly, rather like the difference between 'rural' Gatwick and overwhelming Heathrow airport.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There were migrants in 2016 we had them knocking on the door asking for money, washing themselves at the born, mobile soup kitchen opposite the Aire entrance.
All been moved on now none at all last year.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Newhaven-Dieppe(y)

I can miss most of the M25(y)

I try and get the Saturday night crossing, sleep in cabin, get up fresh Sunday morning, get past Rouen before the locals have had breakfast, empty(ish) roads on Sundays..................great start to my trips South(y)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
There were migrants in 2016 we had them knocking on the door asking for money, washing themselves at the born, mobile soup kitchen opposite the Aire entrance.
All been moved on now none at all last year.
Hmm, I guess that's probably the quayside Aire between the port and the town. I've only stopped overnight at the seafront one by the lawns which has been nicely refurbished. Only once seen any at the port itself though.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Newhaven-Dieppe(y)

I can miss most of the M25(y)

I try and get the Saturday night crossing, sleep in cabin, get up fresh Sunday morning, get past Rouen before the locals have had breakfast, empty(ish) roads on Sundays..................great start to my trips South(y)...

Yes, Dieppe is a great start to a trip South as within half a mile of the port you're out in the countryside. I'm always toddling South West on 'D' roads in no hurry at all so since I never use autoroutes I usually avoid going via Rouen although the road from Dieppe to Rouen is toll free. Rouen is easier to negotiate than it was a few years ago and a handy way to get a good few miles under your wheels.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, Dieppe is a great start to a trip South as within half a mile of the port you're out in the countryside. I'm always toddling South West on 'D' roads in no hurry at all so since I never use autoroutes I usually avoid going via Rouen although the road from Dieppe to Rouen is toll free. Rouen is easier to negotiate than it was a few years ago and a handy way to get a good few miles under your wheels.
Also in easy reach of the port a small Carrefour, a big Auchan, Decathlon, Gemo & 2 Lidl's.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
68 Quid! you obviously you don't like travelling at sociable hours. (y)

I thought coming back at 7 am was bad enough, Will have to get up a 6 that's 3 hours kip I've missed.:(

It is the journey to the ferry that is the worst bit for us, over 300 miles, easy on French roads, not so good on our roads lol, we are knackered when we get there.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Lenny you are so lucky, I am about 50 miles from Holyhead, even thought about going via Ireland to save us the journey, but the cost would be horrendous, so every port is over 300 miles for us, though I am sure a lot of people are even further.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny you are so lucky, I am about 50 miles from Holyhead,
Depest condolences, been there a few times when working in Ireland.:)
When we went to Ireland in the van went via Pembroke and paid for the ferry with Airmiles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back