LEDs (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Saw an article in Practical Motorhome where the bloke had fitted PRISM LED styling lights. Not sure wheter he meant that he had used these to replace the strip lights.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers

Billkce

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Saw an article in Practical Motorhome where the bloke had fitted PRISM LED styling lights. Not sure wheter he meant that he had used these to replace the strip lights.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers

Billkce

I replaced the tubes in a double fluorescent light with the strips from two LED lamps.

This involved gutting the old unit completely. The cost was £16 per strip or £32 to replace the two.

I did this because I could not get an equivalent fluorescent light fitting but decided the cost was prohibitive to do the rest in the van.

I did however replace the old 10w light bulbs with LED equivalents.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Bill & Carol

We replaced our halogen spotlights with LED's, we were also able to replace the fluorescent tubes in the bathroom with LED strips. The fluorescent tubes in the living area could not be replaced as the fittings had a ballast fitted in them. We were told that it was not worth the expense of buying new fittings as the tubes do not draw an excessive current. It's the halogen bulbs that drain the battery.

Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Billkce

Brisey has already said it really, from an electrical POV florescent tube are efficient enough not to need changing. Good light too.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I found my cheap LED strips from Hong Kong a bit more efficient that the fluorescent tubes running on 12 volts. Other advantages are LED lights are said to last longer than fluorescent tubes.
But perhaps the biggest advantage for me is that the LED lights do not interfere with weak radio stations like the fluorescent tube lights do - i.e when listening to Radio 4 in Spain or Italy.

OP
OP
billkce
Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
I found my cheap LED strips from Hong Kong a bit more efficient that the fluorescent tubes running on 12 volts. Other advantages are LED lights are said to last longer than fluorescent tubes.
But perhaps the biggest advantage for me is that the LED lights do not interfere with weak radio stations like the fluorescent tube lights do - i.e when listening to Radio 4 in Spain or Italy.

Where did you source your LEd strips from?

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No

Will post link below - hope it works.

My own tests in the back of a windowless van show them to produce about twice as much light as fluorescent tubes for the same power consumption.
LEDs are said to last about 25,000 hours. I can't vouch for that but I can say my fluorescent tubes don't last anywhere near that time.
Each strip draws about 3 watts at 12 volts.
You need a separate switch and a low amperage fuse as the wires are very thin.
They only work if connected the right way round, but connecting them the wrong way round does not damage them.
Gives a lovely diffused light, similar to a fluorescent tube but without the flickering, and quite unlike than the savage beam from spotlights.
Delivery takes about 2 weeks as they come from Hong Kong. No discount for quantity as the high postage cost seems to subsidise the low product cost. It may not be a good idea to order a lot at once as you could get stung for import duty as it they come from outside the EEC? Other than that I have ordered from these people several times with no problems at all :thumb:

Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Bill & Carol

We replaced our halogen spotlights with LED's, we were also able to replace the fluorescent tubes in the bathroom with LED strips. The fluorescent tubes in the living area could not be replaced as the fittings had a ballast fitted in them. We were told that it was not worth the expense of buying new fittings as the tubes do not draw an excessive current. It's the halogen bulbs that drain the battery.

Brisey

I replaced the tungsten filament bulbs in the eyeball spots in our van with LEDs last year plus a G4 halogen in the shower. I asked the supplier (Aten Lighting/) about replacing the two Crown fittings (9 watt fluorescent tube) and received similar advice that it was not worth it. With the LEDs in the spotlights we hardly ever use the Crown fittings now anyway.

Graham

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Other than that I have ordered from these people several times with no problems at all :thumb:

I've just found a top use for one of my pair - wardrobe light. Brilliant. Complete with automatic switching.

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Since I have no windows or roof-lights in the back (for security and coolness in the Spanish sunshine - I have a very powerful extractor fan for ventilation) I have powerful LED lights in the back and sent to Hong Kong for an LED Dimmer. It works very efficiently, very rapidly switching on and off the current so power consumption goes down as the lights are dimmed. BUT - I discovered it has to be wired exactly as shown with 2 power wires from the battery going in, and 2 power wires going out direct to the LEDs. If the LED lights are wired with the negative earthed to the vehicle body, this effectively connects the negative input to the negative output, and then it doesn't work. :Doh:

Link Removed

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

maplins...

I fitted led lighting strips (both red & white) to my reptile vivs a couple of years back, they do two whites, a wrmish one and a cold brighter one, they sell them in 5cn strips about 1.50ish, you can solder them togeather to make a string (spaced out to suit ) or just use a longer lenght. they can be supplied by voltages form 6> 12 volt

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back