Water in footwell (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Well its been a while since my last post so hopefully someone can help with this problem.

I called in at the storage to fit my new gas bottle and have a general check over the van, when I opened the passenger door the footplate adjacent to the radiator was full of water, so I instantly thought I might have a leak on the alde system, but all sees fine there, after drying it out with a towel the water was still coming in from behind the plastic trim, I unscrewed and moved the cable that comes through from the door and there is mastic across a joint (sorry I should have gotten photos it would be much easier than trying to explain) the water seemed to be coming from this joint, but it isn't on an external face it is on the edge facing up to the top of the passenger footwell.
Anybody else had this? Is it a known problem on the elegances? Is it coming from the roof and tracking in somewhere?
I'm not too worried at the minute because it seem to be away from the external framework but need it bottomed out ASAP really.

Cheers
Mark

PS ill try and get photos next time I'm there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Better with photos...but not too close. Makes it hard to figure out where things are.
What you don't make clear is by passenger door you mean the habitation door and not the cab door.

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
I had a e 2008 elegance i821 mine did this aswell my fix was to reseal the trim that runs adjacent to the roof then comes down the side of the door .
Sealed it with purflex from toolstation which solved the problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Here is where I sealed

Attachments

• 20180129_232133.jpg
    20180129_232133.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 149

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Well its been a while since my last post so hopefully someone can help with this problem.

I called in at the storage to fit my new gas bottle and have a general check over the van, when I opened the passenger door the footplate adjacent to the radiator was full of water, so I instantly thought I might have a leak on the alde system, but all sees fine there, after drying it out with a towel the water was still coming in from behind the plastic trim, I unscrewed and moved the cable that comes through from the door and there is mastic across a joint (sorry I should have gotten photos it would be much easier than trying to explain) the water seemed to be coming from this joint, but it isn't on an external face it is on the edge facing up to the top of the passenger footwell.
Anybody else had this? Is it a known problem on the elegances? Is it coming from the roof and tracking in somewhere?
I'm not too worried at the minute because it seem to be away from the external framework but need it bottomed out ASAP really.

Cheers
Mark

PS ill try and get photos next time I'm there.
If it was stored cold and with no heating, is it possible that the radiator ( colder than the surrounding humid air) attracted condensation, which dripped into the footwell? Was there condensation under the windows or damp patches under them too?

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Better with photos...but not too close. Makes it hard to figure out where things are.
What you don't make clear is by passenger door you mean the habitation door and not the cab door.
Sorry meant the cab door.

If it was stored cold and with no heating, is it possible that the radiator ( colder than the surrounding humid air) attracted condensation, which dripped into the footwell? Was there condensation under the windows or damp patches under them too?

Just seems way too much to be condensation
I had a e 2008 elegance i821 mine did this aswell my fix was to reseal the trim that runs adjacent to the roof then comes down the side of the door .
Sealed it with purflex from toolstation which solved the problem

Karalal
Seems like a place I need to investigate, did you remove the trim or just rub the sealant into the edges?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had an Aviano that this happened with.

Ours was caused by a poorly fitted cab door.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Ill have a look at the seal first, then see if it may be the door, ill try a water test on that seal after drying it out and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply's folks, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Mark

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Cant find this sealant in clear, that section off van is Opale in colour, if I use white it will look a bit odd, anyone know if theres an equivalent clear sealant ??

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I had the same after I picked up my Elegance and discovered that the seal around one of the small red caps located in the top of the tank was not sealing so when I filled the tank to the top with fresh water it leaked. My van was parked on a bit of a slope and the water rolled down to the passenger side footwell. Suggest you look for any sources of leak and whether you are parked on the flat or a slope

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Happens when in storage so no water in the tanks, been to busy fitting solar, now that’s sorted it’s next n my list, seriously suspect the fitting above door, I altered the air suspension to the other side and it dried out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back