Is buying a Huawei worth it (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, I'm not technically minded, however I'm thinking of getting a Huawei E5577C. Is it worth getting and is it easy to set up.
Thanks All

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys. We have one which we purchased 'unlocked' off auction website. We currently use EE for our journeys when travelling. It costs us £12 per month for 3GB down load.Its a rolling contract, so we only pay for when we use it. Very easy to set up and great when site wifi is poor. We tend to shut it down around November til 1st March.

They are readily available on any site . DO not be put off by a used one either! Ours is as new and cost £30 inc £10 data and inc postage!

Kev

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Magic ,I wouldn't be without it . gives me wifi about 90% time ,especially in France. very easy !!!!
I agree if it's got a connection ,so that you could attach an antenna.
mine hasn't but still good.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I too have a Huawei mifi and it works very well. The only doubt I have in my mind about it's use in the future is that perhaps I can get a better mobile tariff (for my phone) that will allow more data when used in Europe. Currently my phone's max monthly data usage when in Europe is 500Mb and with this low limit the mifi (with a PAYG 3 SIM) makes perfect sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Very good piece of kit, use ours at home & away instead of cable / optical broadband. Saves on having a land line. Use in France & Spain as well.
3 network 24 gb/ 24 sim from Amazon probably best deal for intermittent use.
Barrie

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Love our Huawie :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi, I'm not technically minded, however I'm thinking of getting a Huawei E5577C. Is it worth getting and is it easy to set up.
Thanks All

Might be of interest to you if you have a Currys close by?
Broken Link Removed

ps we've got one and it's very good.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wouldn’t be without mine Chris - and neither would Alyson - she regularly taps into mine when we are parked close to each other!! I do get my own back as I use her home broadband when I’m ‘squatting’ on her drive!!!

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
It really depends IMO. If you have a phone contract that allows tethering abroad and you are only going on shortish (60 to 90 days) holidays then you may well not need it. Really depends on what your plans are!

We have one and it is a good piece of kit but since phone data can be used abroad we use it much less. We don't stream movies though.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Might be of interest to you if you have a Currys close by?
Broken Link Removed

ps we've got one and it's very good.
Although we've got a Huawei 5577 and an aerial, that is a bit of a bargain, assuming you only pay £4.97 to buy the one from Currys and cancel the £15 per month data plan as soon as you get it (30 days notice). It's then good to go with a '3' PAYG pre-paid annual sim (£27.99 for 12 months and 12GB of data)?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

or a 24-month '3' pre-paid 24GB data sim from Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B01M3VJ2B2
Either of which would work for us because we don't need too much data when we're travelling.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It really depends IMO. If you have a phone contract that allows tethering abroad and you are only going on shortish (60 to 90 days) holidays then you may well not need it. Really depends on what your plans are!

We have one and it is a good piece of kit but since phone data can be used abroad we use it much less. We don't stream movies though.
Understand exactly what you are saying. However, because we use '3' for the data sim in the mi-fi, we often find it works when we can't get a decent signal on our phones which are on a different network (Virgin/ee). And occasionally vice-versa - but the '3' mi-fi is usually most reliable. And it broadens options when off the beaten track.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Although we've got a Huawei 5577 and an aerial, that is a bit of a bargain, assuming you only pay £4.97 to buy the one from Currys and cancel the £15 per month data plan as soon as you get it (30 days notice). It's then good to go with a '3' PAYG pre-paid annual sim (£27.99 for 12 months and £12GB of data)?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

or a 24-month '3' pre-paid 24GB data sim from Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B01M3VJ2B2
Either of which would work for us because we don't need too much data when we're travelling.
That's what I did \ do but got the mifi from Carphone Warehouse when they had a similar deal on.(y)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
As @mikebeaches says lots of things to think about! We are both on 3 at the moment but can't tether with them so I am thinking of moving to Vodafone which does allow tethering. I will still take the mifi with me but I'll be interested to see what difference the change makes sense in usage.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As others have said, it depends on what you have at home and whether you can use it abroad. We wouldn't be without ours even though we can use our uk allowance here as if we were in the uk. But, having an unlocked HUAWEI mifi we buy a local data only sim and we avoid the 'strangling' of bandwidth so common in France, Spain and Italy, we have found.
Currently in Portugal and have unlimited data for €15 for 15 days. When we move to Spain, will just buy their local sim and pop it in. Setting up's a doddle. So on balance, yes I think it's worth getting especially if you can get a deal. Alcatel one here had deal for €59 including a SIM card with 30gb data for 30 days! Not bad.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
As an aside, Vodafone roaming has no strangling, so they say, and can be used for up to 4 months out of UK.
30 day contract 30gb for £20.
Barrie

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have used a hughy mifi for a couple of years and they are fine. The data from 3 is definitely throttled abroad, and as I needed a new phone anyway (my Windows phone is haemorrhaging support) I have gone for a Samsung S8 with 40Gb a month data (Vodaphone not throttled), unlimited calls and texts which I can tether to.

Pyke13

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Funster No
Five been using a Huey Mifi for about five years on and off and been full time since September, Ive got mine plugged in all the time and the only problem I've had was it overheating n that was more to do with the wood burner than the Huey.
I paid £97 for mine years ago but as soon as I'm near civilisation I will be getting the one from currys. Mines the older version and I can't get the Ariel for it.

Try and have your phone on a different network to your Mifi, more chance of getting signal that way

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We have one and it's served us well but nowadays with free roaming and cheap contracts we find we use our phones mostly you can tether on many contracts now so mifi and site WiFi will be a thing of the past soon

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks All
I've had one for about 3 years, originally rented from Three, but now all mine and so no monthly charges. I buy a 12gb sim from mymemory, and it lasts me a year. Wouldn't be without it and it's only very rarely I don't get a wifi signal either at home or abroad.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
@Indy259 Chris I also have a Hughie, I got mine from Currys for £9.99 on a 30 day contract as I wanted to see what reception was at home. It was fine so I then went to a 3 shop and upgraded contract to 20gb a month for £10pm. This has worked really well as my sole access to internet. Do make sure you get an ‘unlocked’ hughie (Currys was) and you can then put in any data sim.

Good luck, Veronica

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So from the replies etc on here ... in a nutshell:

If you have a phone with a contract giving you loads of data and which allows tethering abroad (some allow it just in the UK) then this may do what you want, however if you don't have sufficient data on your phone contract, or it doesn't allow tethering abroad, then a separate MIFI seems to be the answer.

If you do get a MIFI you need to decide which provider/data allowance you need, eg:
  • Vodafone costs more per gb but does not limit the amount of data you can use abroad and apparently allows you to use it that way for up to 4 months each year.

• Three costs less per gb and limits your use pcm to either 9gb (PAYG/pre-loaded sim) or 13gb (contract) after which you'll pay through the nose; in theory you can use it only for 2 complete months per year abroad but this can be got around as you can 'reset' it to squeeze an extra 29 days out of it (possibly more if you can do it in 'chunks').

If you are a light user of the internet then a MIFI with a pre-loaded Three sim would seem the way to go for use abroad (3gb lasts 3 months, 12gb lasts up to a year with a monthly max of 9gb).

OP
OP
Indy259
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
I am defiantly getting one just got to find best deal. Thank you every one(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back