Large RV's on site (1 Viewer)

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Hello, we are still deliberating whether to go for a winnebago and still collecting info so another question for you all - sorry!!
We primarily use caravan club sites. In the rules it says that anything over 30ft can be charged for 2 pitches but have people found that happens in practice?
Also could we still use grass pitches with a 7 tonne RV? Obviously not in wet weather but do people still go on grass or do most people stick to hardstanding?
We realised that some sites may not be accessible for a big RV due to tight lanes or narrow gates etc but the van and car combination we have at the moment is 42ft in total so that has ruled out most of those sites anyway.
thanks for your patience and help :-}
claire:-}
PS Any other thoughts or factors would be appreciated

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had an RV for around 5 years and our present one is 32ft long and we have had no problems. There are a few CClub sites that for access reasons exclude motorhomes above 28 ft and that is also the length above which you should not book online with the CClub.
We have never had to pay extra. We have never had a bad reception or been turned away.
We prefer a hardstanding in very wet conditions but the ground pressure per square inch on the large double wheels of a 7.5 ton RV is probably no more than on a 4 ton single wheel motorhome, which incidentally can have the problem of lack of traction on wet grass due to front wheel drive and insufficient weight over the single drive wheels. A double wheel rear wheel drive gives better traction.
As far as road access is concerned, if you are careful with route planning and if the road looks too narrow, don't go there , you will have no problem. Remember that most roads are wide enough for emergency service vehicles, buses, large tractors and builders supply lorries, so they are also OK for an RV .
We are about to buy a B Class RV which will still have lots of space with slideouts and have all the luxuries that an RV provides but is 5 inches narrower, 18 inches lower and is around 28 ft long. It will also be more economical.
This for us will cover all of our needs.
Look carefully and don't buy on impulse, good luck :thumb:

PS. Further consideration needs to be given to your driving licence groups. If you have C1+E you are OK up to 7500kg gvw and 8250 gtw. If you buy a 7500kg RV your towing limit is 750 kg, if your RV has a gvw of 7000kg this leaves a weight of 1250 kg which would give you more choice of which toad to tow should you wish to.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have had an RV for around 5 years and our present one is 32ft long and we have had no problems. There are a few CClub sites that for access reasons exclude motorhomes above 28 ft and that is also the length above which you should not book online with the CClub.
We have never had to pay extra. We have never had a bad reception or been turned away.
We prefer a hardstanding in very wet conditions but the ground pressure per square inch on the large double wheels of a 7.5 ton RV is probably no more than on a 4 ton single wheel motorhome, which incidentally can have the problem of lack of traction on wet grass due to front wheel drive and insufficient weight over the single drive wheels. A double wheel rear wheel drive gives better traction.
As far as road access is concerned, if you are careful with route planning and if the road looks too narrow, don't go there , you will have no problem. Remember that most roads are wide enough for emergency service vehicles, buses, large tractors and builders supply lorries, so they are also OK for an RV .
We are about to buy a B Class RV which will still have lots of space with slideouts and have all the luxuries that an RV provides but is 5 inches narrower, 18 inches lower and is around 28 ft long. It will also be more economical.
This for us will cover all of our needs.
Look carefully and don't buy on impulse, good luck :thumb:

PS. Further consideration needs to be given to your driving licence groups. If you have C1+E you are OK up to 7500kg gvw and 8250 gtw. If you buy a 7500kg RV your towing limit is 750 kg, if your RV has a gvw of 7000kg this leaves a weight of 1250 kg which would give you more choice of which toad to tow should you wish to.
Agree 100%,Excelent informed reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
What they said, we're with and use C&CC sites and the only issue is the on line booking, which is 26ft, we're 28ft, but for busy (like easter) we booked at 26ft with a note re 28 and called as soon as they opened and nobody yet has had an issue with the RV when we've phoned.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi We downsized to 30' to tow a boat on a trailer which made us 58' in total. We travelled extensively through July and August 2006 and 2007

I must admit there were a few tense moments but nothing that lasted past the first bottle of beer once on site.

I would happily pay for two pitches if I ever took two pitches up and the site was full or nearly full, but this has never happened.

I was told once that I would have to pay for two pitches with my 36' van, and when asked if we could could book 2 (4) pitches together we were told that there were no marked pitches anyway as the campsite was a grass field!

I then asked how they could justify charging us for two pitches when the pitches are not even marked out so we would not in fact be taking "two" pitches and was told "We always have done it that way" We did not continue the booking lol

We own a campsite and limit the size to 30' we can take the biggest vans but only have a few places to put them so like people to phone and book as opposed to pulling on and potentially causing mayhem:ROFLMAO:

I must admit looking back that some of the places that campsite owners found for us were excellent and some were OK'ish but we had a great time, at the time if you know what I mean!

Hope this helps

Eddie

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
When we had our 30 foot RV we never had a problem with it as long as you book in advance and tell them its 30 feet long. It tends to be overhanging trees that cause more problems than narrow roads or gateways.

We towed our Jeep Cherokee behind ours on an A Frame which made us 58 feet long :Eeek: but i can honestly say i never had to unhitch the car once in the UK (Did in France once but i think we were a bit cautious as we drove out of the site with the car hooked up!!!)

Just think ahead and dont expect to turn up on a site in the middle of summer unannouced and get a pitch :thumb:

OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Thank you for all those replies - much appreciated!! I didnt know that you couldnt book online over that size but the booking 26ft then ringing when they are open seems a good way to do it. We are both old (I am 40 and OH is 50) so licences are ok up to 7500. We wouldnt tow with it anyway as we always take a second car -even now towing the caravan we take a second car as a runabout rather than using my land cruiser which we tow with but is fuel thirsty.

Looked at a couple on ebay, one looked great but HPI'd as a cat b!

Mainly looking at diesel for relatively better economy but should we consider petrol ones? I enquired about one which the seller said does 12 to the gallon - would that be about right?

Is levelling an issue with a big RV? It is hell levelling our twin axle van and on any slightly sloping pitch we have to lift one end up miles to make it level. I am hoping an RV would be better with the wheels being at the 4 corners rather than in the middle?

claire:-}

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are both old (I am 40 and OH is 50) Thats not old , your'e spring chickens:Smile:
:Smile:
We had an Allegro 26 RV with Chevrolet V8 turbot diesel we found it noisy and not that quick.
Our Hurricane is on a Ford V10 petrol, is quiet and has stacks of pulling power. It is converted to LPG and returns 8mpg which considering lpg cost equals around 14 mpg

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We have the 6.5 turbo diesel and I love it frankley, first diesel I've ever owned. Noisy, well start up and accelerating maybe but our first RV was a '77 so anything was going to be quieter. The fuel guage does seem to move alot slower than the old one too:thumb:

As to leveling, well the usually readily available leveling chocks will do the trick but ours came with electric levelers and they are fantastic, couple of minutes with the buttons and sorted. There are hydraulic but I'm not aware of any downsides to either systems if you find an RV with them fitted. If they are not and you fancied having them put on after you've bought, err, make sure you a sitting down when you check out the price:ROFLMAO:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
When we had our 30 foot RV we never had a problem with it as long as you book in advance and tell them its 30 feet long. It tends to be overhanging trees that cause more problems than narrow roads or gateways.

We towed our Jeep Cherokee behind ours on an A Frame which made us 58 feet long :Eeek: but i can honestly say i never had to unhitch the car once in the UK (Did in France once but i think we were a bit cautious as we drove out of the site with the car hooked up!!!)

Just think ahead and dont expect to turn up on a site in the middle of summer unannouced and get a pitch :thumb:

That must be a BLOODY LONG JEEP!!!!!
Dave:thumb:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
40 old:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

I'm 47 and still gigging, and I reckon 50% of audiences are in their 40's::bigsmile:

Baby Boomers Rule :thumb:

We have a 7.3 V8 diesel RV that is 27.5 ft long, and fully loaded at an average of 60 mph we get 20 mpg.

We are seriousley thinking about upgrading our RV to a shorter one with slides, so small but with the room required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back