The Upholstery Saga (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
February '17: Ordered a brand new Frankia with a rear lounge and after a lot of deliberation chose the upholstery - pale grey on lounge seats, cream on lounge backs and cream/grey on front seats.
June '17: Van arrived. Front seats were perfect, however the lounge seats were cream when they should have been grey and the cream on the lounge backs did not match the cream on the front seats. Dealer spotted this before we took delivery and said they would ensure that Frankia sent a whole new set of covers for the lounge. Was told the mismatch occurred because the seats come from a different factory to the lounge covers and they had obviously used a different batch number of the material. We took delivery of the van and went away for a couple of months.
November'17: Went back to dealer to view the replacement upholstery. It was even worse - the pale grey had somehow become almost an olive green. Refused to accept it. Dealer said they would re-order again from Frankia. A couple of weeks later dealer called to say that Frankia had stopped using the material we had originally chosen and we that would have to come back and choose an alternative.
Mid November'17: Back to dealers. Chose a completely different material, although knowing that it wouldn't be as stain resistant as our first choice persuaded the dealer to Scotchguard the new fabric when it arrived. I said we would also need new carpets as this material did not match the carpets supplied to go with the first material.
January'17: New covers finally arrived. Dropped van off at dealers on Thursday and are off to pick it up today. Dealer called yesterday to say that Frankia had also sent a complete new set of curtains along with the new upholstery and carpets.
Today: Leaving in an hour or so to collect van - just hoping I like the new upholstery as there is a lot of it given we have a big rear lounge and it is totally different to what we originally chose.

So, all in all it's taken 7 month to sort this and several unneccesary visits (3 hour round trip) to the dealer.

I have to say that the dealer (SMC) has been very much on top of this and quite apologetic all the way through. Just dissappointed that Frankia has taken so very long to put this right.
Wish me luck.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Sorry to hear of the issues you’ve experienced, never nice when you’ve been so excited for your new purchase. At least the dealer has been proactive.

Fingers crossed you like your new upholstery and you can put this saga behind you(y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not a fan of dealers at all, but credit where credit is due, well done SMC on doing the right thing for you.

Don't understand how a multi million pound company like Frankia couldn't have got it right in the first place. In modern time with computers and bar coding etc, it should have been on the mark, wherever the parts are made.

Just a shame about the whole story. Hope it goes well today.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I guess with so many options, these problems will occur with campers. Fingers crossed it’s all ok now.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I hope you are delighted with the new look. Post some photos up when you collect it please.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Good luck Ann and Mark.. hope its all finally right and you are happy with everything.
Andy.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Glad you have had a good dealer experience, as not all do. Frankia seem to have been a mixture of incompetent and decent. Incompetent for getting it so wrong and being slow but decent for putting it right without a quibble.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hope you are pleased with the new look.
We kept with the standard colours and we love our new frankia.
When we had the underseat travel seats and levellers done at sap they noticed the battery was leaking.
I took it back to smc and they replaced it with no quibbles .
The only niggles for Gina was the passenger door with no step, so we had an electric step again by sap at the same time .
That said we have covered our chocolate brown seats with Hide print throws due to 2 dogs

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Very frustrating, but at least, it's getting sorted. Hope you like your new look - and have a great trip to Spain, next week! :D

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Here's some photos of the van with the new upholstery - I quite like it, although I wish they had matched the stripes on top of the lounge back cushions better - probably need a bit of time to get used to it. With regards to the carpets, I have gone back to the old ones as the new ones, which were supposed to be grey, had a definite greeny tinge to them.
Filled up with water when we got back and turned the pump on only to find a steady drip, drip from the shower tap! Oh no I thought, maybe we didn't drain down properly and something's cracked inside. Anyway, husband, who is not normally 'handy', decided to take it to bits and have a look .................... and he fixed it!!! He's now walking round with a smug look on his face saying "I'm a plumber, I am"
So now to load the van for a get away on Tuesday .......................Spain 'ere we come!!!! :sun::Grin:

P1020405.JPG
P1020406.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh how I wish I'd had the same level of service from them originally!

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Oh how I wish I'd had the same level of service from them originally!
This is the 2nd van we've bought from them and would definitely go back again IF we were to ever change this van (although husband says this one has to last us until we get too old to go MHing).

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Dude shmbo is having ideas as we have the retractable table
What table do you have, I can see this costing me a new carpet as their will be holes from the fixings

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Very nice Ann, looks great. Now all you have to do is start worrying about your packing. Bet your glad to be getting away from this crap weather. Have a great safe trip and keep us up to date .(y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Upholstery is a funny one, whe I saw our first van, when it was launched, said I loved the van but couldnt live with the upholstery. Were just looking at the time. eventually got a really good deal on a van with the same upholstery, chose some cushions which toned in with a very small part of the design and loved it. Have had present van for over 2 years still hate the colour of the upholstery, John likes it though. would love to change it but can't justify the expense, I cover the seats with throws which get removed as soon as I turn my back. Oh well what does it really matter when we can get away and chill whenever we can.would want it to be A1 perfect if buying new though.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
What table do you have, I can see this costing me a new carpet as their will be holes from the fixings
I don’t know if this idea appeals to you, Hymers have humongous tables so I removed mine and replaced it with one made to my specifications by Rainbow Conversions, mounted it using the Fiamma base, column and table base. Takes seconds to mount/dismount and very stable in use.

Attachments

• 34C11AD7-96C0-470B-8F6E-4D90309305A9.jpeg
    34C11AD7-96C0-470B-8F6E-4D90309305A9.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 95DE467C-3BAF-4F36-9622-02B2DC818848.jpeg
    95DE467C-3BAF-4F36-9622-02B2DC818848.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 105CEDDD-77F0-437E-8696-B071CA95E15D.jpeg
    105CEDDD-77F0-437E-8696-B071CA95E15D.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 38

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upholstery is a funny one, whe I saw our first van, when it was launched, said I loved the van but couldnt live with the upholstery. Were just looking at the time. eventually got a really good deal on a van with the same upholstery, chose some cushions which toned in with a very small part of the design and loved it. Have had present van for over 2 years still hate the colour of the upholstery, John likes it though. would love to change it but can't justify the expense, I cover the seats with throws which get removed as soon as I turn my back. Oh well what does it really matter when we can get away and chill whenever we can.would want it to be A1 perfect if buying new though.
Could you not make some covers rather than using throws? More difficult to be 'whipped off' behind your back! :sneaky:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I don’t know if this idea appeals to you, Hymers have humongous tables so I removed mine and replaced it with one made to my specifications by Rainbow Conversions, mounted it using the Fiamma base, column and table base. Takes seconds to mount/dismount and very stable in use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@steve and gina
I changed the table top in my Globecar - it was similar to the one in your type of MHs and was too big so I've simply replaced the top with a smaller one.

Original table top:

185_5b.jpg

Smaller one with plastic tablecloth taped to it to make it easy to clean down:

Table 2.JPG

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
That's a good idea might look at doing this and then it moves front to back and side to side

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
When we ordered the van we specifically said that we didn't want the table fitted as we had a huge table in the previous van (a Pilote) and it drove me crazy trying to wriggle past it. We then bought one of these from B & M Bargains (my favourite store!) for £12.99. When folded it fits perfectly behind the passenger seat.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Could you not make some covers rather than using throws? More difficult to be 'whipped off' behind your back! :sneaky:

If you had ever seen any of my sewing attempts you wouldn't ask, and knitted ones not an option ;) Did recover my romahome seats, but just rectangles so easy to do. Perhaps I shuld try fabric paint to cover the orange, I hate orange, don't mind terracota but this is too orangey for me. Thinking about it the curtains are gold and I'm not keen on themeither, easier to change and if I can find the right clour, might distract form the upholstery. Can do curtains well Icould 40 years ago.:LOL:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
When we ordered the van we specifically said that we didn't want the table fitted as we had a huge table in the previous van (a Pilote) and it drove me crazy trying to wriggle past it. We then bought one of these from B & M Bargains (my favourite store!) for £12.99. When folded it fits perfectly behind the passenger seat.
I always said I didn't mind the table before but it drove me insane on our last trip as we now have two dogs. It seemed to be in the way the whole time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back