LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Buggered if I can find it!
Been all over and under the engine bay with a torch and my double jointed arms!!!
Not on any of the paperwork.
Have emailed the converter ( Carthago) with the VIN, they don't have it.
Have emailed Mercedes customer services the same, acknowledged but no answer yet.
Have googled it, most opinion is it is so buried and hidden not to bother even looking!
Any other bright ideas???
2010 reg Mercedes Sprinter, 3.0L auto.

Will call DVLA on Monday to see if it's mandatory for the import paperwork (V55/5) to be added to the V5. ( logbook)
Hate to leave a box blank in case they reject it!!! ( worse case scenario, will make one up lol!)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Not the same vehicle Dave, but sounds like a contortionist needed if it is in a similar position on yours .... Broken Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Normally it is stamped on the engine............ somewhere... :giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Back of the block, left hand side at the bellhousing face, sloping upwards. You need to remove the air duct from the bulkhead. Then, if you have a small step that you can stand on in fromnt of the vehicle, lean in and forwards until you are virtually upside down with your head to the back of the engine, and one arm in clutching a piece of brillo pad so that you can wipe the machined face clean enough to see the stamping with a torch. It's a dot-matrix stamped number so not very clear.

Make sure you have a friend or significant other available to pull you back out when you're done. (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you checked the Merc certificate of Conformity?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Can you not go online and decode the VIN, should then tell you the engine number.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Back of the block, left hand side at the bellhousing face, sloping upwards. You need to remove the air duct from the bulkhead. Then, if you have a small step that you can stand on in fromnt of the vehicle, lean in and forwards until you are virtually upside down with your head to the back of the engine, and one arm in clutching a piece of brillo pad so that you can wipe the machined face clean enough to see the stamping with a torch. It's a dot-matrix stamped number so not very clear.

Make sure you have a friend or significant other available to pull you back out when you're done. (y)
That's kinda what google said!!! Bloody ridiculous!!!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Found this as well
Gives a different location

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Just google Mercedes sprinter VIN decode, you will get a few options.
Also you could put a post on mercedes forum uk, they will tell you or do it for you.

Well I never!!! Didn't even know that existed!!! Did it, and I put the VIN, and got all sorts of info, including the engine number!! Many thanks, that'll save my back!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if in doubt a smart phone with camera is useful. stick your arm and phone behind engine and take loads of photos

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well I never!!! Didn't even know that existed!!! Did it, and I put the VIN, and got all sorts of info, including the engine number!! Many thanks, that'll save my back!!!

No probs, I have done it for every merc motorhome I have had, get some good info, even the city and year of build, all the options etc etc.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Buggered if I can find it!
Been all over and under the engine bay with a torch and my double jointed arms!!!
Not on any of the paperwork.
Have emailed the converter ( Carthago) with the VIN, they don't have it.
Have emailed Mercedes customer services the same, acknowledged but no answer yet.
Have googled it, most opinion is it is so buried and hidden not to bother even looking!
Any other bright ideas???
2010 reg Mercedes Sprinter, 3.0L auto.

Will call DVLA on Monday to see if it's mandatory for the import paperwork (V55/5) to be added to the V5. ( logbook)
Hate to leave a box blank in case they reject it!!! ( worse case scenario, will make one up lol!)

check your log book

ooops sorry disregaurd this stupid post
MUST READ FIRST :groan: NOT AFTER :blush:

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
IMG_1492.PNG

Not sure where some of the figures come from, like being 2001 ( year of design maybe) and mileage being quarter of a million, but hey! Everything else seemed right, so that's the engine number I'm gonna use !

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
was tryping an edit as you posted
ive just booked eye test
not at specsavers though
:imoutahere::wink::wink:
Easily done, :D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
View attachment 209243

Not sure where some of the figures come from, like being 2001 ( year of design maybe) and mileage being quarter of a million, but hey! Everything else seemed right, so that's the engine number I'm gonna use !

It says that on all of them you decode, I have always found that it is accurate the rest of the info.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
And if the engine has been replaced for any reason ?????

I expect you would discover that in your negotiations before buying, I certainly would hope to. I,m sure Dave has already ascertained that it is the original engine on his.
But, in theory, you are correct, if someone has changed the entire engine it wouldn't be the same engine number.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Says our Sprinter was built in East London South Africa in 2001, shipped to Germany in 2004 and ending up with a 2006 registration in UK when it was first purchased.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Says our Sprinter was built in East London South Africa in 2001, shipped to Germany in 2004 and ending up with a 2006 registration in UK when it was first purchased.

I think your Carthago Chic S plus on a Merc Sprinter is a rare beast Dave, as the majority you see for sale seem to have been built on the Iveco chasis.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I think your Carthago Chic S plus on a Merc Sprinter is a rare beast Dave, as the majority you see for sale seem to have been built on the Iveco chasis.

Very true. I asked why on the owners forum, I was told that since Mercedes wouldn't allow Carthago to alter the chassis in any way ( the 2 cab seats are recessed about 6" below the rest of the floor, and there is a step up from lounge to kitchen) they ditched them in favour of Iveco.
I can see their point, but the seats are height adjustable anyway, and I quite like going 'upstairs' :D2

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Would the engine number not be on the v5 equivelant document from France?
Or on the chassis plate?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back