Damaged Apple Mac DC in socket .. repair costs (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was unfortunate enough to trip over my Mac Powerbook power cable and damage the jack plug socket .. for a time it worked by wiggling the plug about then it failed.. :Sad:

It's a common problem that Apple were aware of and redesigned the new Macs with a magnetic plug which can be pulled off without damage..

Anyway, I bit the bullet and called up three companies to quote for a repair .. all were over £200 .. the reason given was the cost of a new DC power board which the socket is mounted on.. :RollEyes:

So I went surfing, found the correct part from Apple and it costs £29 + vat

I then went looking for instructions on how to change the board and found a site which gives a very detailed step by step instructions complete with pictures.. The task is rated as moderately difficult, should take about 1 hour for a reasonably competent person ..

Which leads me to the point of the post.. how can a company justify in excess of £200 for a £30 board and one hours labour... dare I say I think it's a rip off ?

So, I have ordered the new board and will let you know how I get on...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Good luck Jim, at least the high cost was not down to Apple, so no room for complaint there. Fortunately, I have a MacBook with the magnetic connector and hope I never have to venture inside.

Philip

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Good luck Jim, at least the high cost was not down to Apple, so no room for complaint there. Fortunately, I have a MacBook with the magnetic connector and hope I never have to venture inside.

Philip

I hoped never to venture inside either .. but 'needs must' is a great master .. I might be gone sometime ... :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Just remember to earth yourself before going into a Macintosh. They are very, very sensitive to static and you could end up frying the motherboard. Experience from the older MacBooks.
John

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The deed is done, ::bigsmile:

Not as difficult as I feared and only took about 45 mins. I even took time out to take a couple of pics showing the lappy opened up with the DC input board on the table.. and a final pic up and running

Tools. Torx No 8 and Phillips No 00

Attachments

• DSC_6603.jpg
    DSC_6603.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_6604.jpg
    DSC_6604.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_6605.jpg
    DSC_6605.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 31

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Great job - well done. I will remember in case I ever need to get inside the case!

Philip

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well done Jim:thumb:
seeing as its April 1 I thought you should have had the other sides web page on display:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great job - well done. I will remember in case I ever need to get inside the case!

Philip

No problem.. I only charge £100 per hour, half the going rip-off rate :RollEyes::roflmto:

here is a useful site for future reference

http://www.ifixit.com/

Last edited:

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I work in IT and can explain why these types of repairs seem so expensive.

The £200 you were quoted breaks down as follows;

Cost of parts £30
Cost of labour £30 - 50 depending on level of skills that the technician has

The remaining cost of £120 - £140 is the fee for them knowing more than the end user. In this case the end user was able to discover the 'how' and thereby avoided the 'know-how' related costs

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The DVD drive on my MAC has jammed.I have been quoted £100 supply and fit a replacement, done while I wait or additional £16 to collect and deliver.
Whats the site you used Jim?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back