Garage servicing (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Had a garage do timing belt on 2.8 jtd ducato so should be good for a few years wrong
Done about 1500 miles heard something bounce under van so pulled over start looking round van cant see anything outside open bonnet and notice belt tensioner pulley coming through timing belt cover nut had come off pulley call aa get piggybacked home.
Get on to garage said someone may of got distracted while fitting belt about 8 months after them fitting they tried to get out of it.
Got on to trading standards they then had no option but to redo belt and replace with all new parts very lucky it never damaged engine.
Spoke to mechanic that fitted original and replacement he said first time it had happened to him in 40yrs i think he got distracted whilst doing job but a very lucky escape another 4 months i probably would of had problems getting garage to sort it.
All good in the end though and something to laugh about now

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was waiting in a garage workshop for an mot last year, it was shocking how little attention the mechanics were paying to their work. Most of the time they were huddled around one vehicle having a laugh, then they were fooling around with a ball, some went back to their job only to be called over by another to look at something resulting in another 10 min chat, then back to their job only to spend 10 min on their phone !
We all like a relaxed atmosphere and a laugh at work but I'm glad I wasn't paying for any work that day, and I don't think other days were much different ,!
If your able to do simple servicing tasks yourself then at least you can be sure it's done. Suppose a cam belt is different though and beyond most people who have to rely on their garage to do a good job, hopefully.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I was waiting in a garage workshop for an mot last year, it was shocking how little attention the mechanics were paying to their work. Most of the time they were huddled around one vehicle having a laugh, then they were fooling around with a ball, some went back to their job only to be called over by another to look at something resulting in another 10 min chat, then back to their job only to spend 10 min on their phone !
We all like a relaxed atmosphere and a laugh at work but I'm glad I wasn't paying for any work that day, and I don't think other days were much different ,!
If your able to do simple servicing tasks yourself then at least you can be sure it's done. Suppose a cam belt is different though and beyond most people who have to rely on their garage to do a good job, hopefully.
Job was done how it should of been done he just didn't tighten tensioner pulley properly.
Had done a lot of hill work changing gears so probably worked engine harder but it had done about 1500 miles since change wife thought something had moved in back of van i said no it was underneath van nut must of bounced 3 times under van but it is definitately worth checking van if you hear unusual noise if it sounds metallic.

Timing belt you could do yourself if you have the tools and follow the book and or instructions but get it wrong you are left with a very costly bill and van that is unusable for quite a while

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate here was moaning about the cam belt he'd had done, Peugeot 2,2 & that it now backfired when starting !! I said take it back , & he said he had & they stated nothing wrong with it ?
Not too sure though as when he checked the oil & I was looking under the bonnet I found 2 bolts holding pipes that would have been removed to do the belt had "disappeared " :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back