Camping in the New Forest. (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Ok, last weekend we were in Setthorns but were a little disappointed with it. This is not a review or complaint but it was not really for us.

Good points was the EHU.

Not for us, Setthorns is in an enclosure so no forest animals plodded through the site. We would really like forest animals wandering about around the site. Because its still winter, we find it easier with Electric. So my query is anywhere recommended, love to see animals wandering through, EHU important. New forest ok but would consider wider.

Any suggestions?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had animals there when we went November 16 (y)

also don't rate it for us, too wet under foot, partly time of year I guess and too far to anything to walk to

each to their own :)

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thanks but you have to pass over a cattle grid now, so really in an enclosure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I worked there for a season. You get the animals all over the site. Even in the enclosure. Perhaps you were just unlucky.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We go to Setthorns in November every year, to get the doggies away from the bulk of the fireworks. We don’t usually have EHU, as we don’t need it, but there are always several pitches available with it, if we feel the need. We get the horses wandering past our Moho all the time - have to check before opening the door, that you are not going to spook one! In the autumn, if you are lucky, you may also find pigs roaming free, eating the acorns that would, otherwise, cause issues with the horses!

The old railway line runs through Setthorns and, although it’s now a walking/cycling path, no-one told the horses not to use it!! I am amazed that you saw no forest animals during your stay - you were very unlucky!

We normally walk into Sway from the site - takes about 45 minutes, and there are a couple of excellent pubs in that village. You do need good walking or welly boots, however, as it is somewhat soggy around that area in Winter, to say the least!!

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Have to agree with all that @JFD has said, the only difference is we go between Christmas and New year, our wedding anniversary (I know how to treat my women) ! as well as the couple of excellent pubs there is a cracking butchers in Sway. We have stayed on a good few sites in the forest and Settorns comes out tops IMO.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Staying at Setthorns a few years ago I walked back from visiting a friend in Sway, dogs on leads, and in the middle of the site, few metres from my motorhome was a huge stag. Absolutely beautiful. Even the dogs froze on the spot, luckily, and I was able to get to watch it for a moment before it ambled away.
Deer are usually around early morning and at dusk, but the squirrels ( which my dogs are convinced they can catch) are constant. Plenty of ponies just outside Setthorns, too.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We went there for a long weekend last June, partly because it was right on the common and fairly remote, also because it is not that far from us. We had deer wondering past our pitch and loved that we could walk straight into the forest from our pitch with the dogs. Had a wander down to Sway, had a few beverages in a pub to, ahem, rehydrate and the natives were friendly. We were fortunate that we had a great weather for our stay. I’d go back there again.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks but you have to pass over a cattle grid now, so really in an enclosure.
If the cattle grid is on the entry road, that doesn’t stop animals wandering through the site from the forest? That said, if it’s the ponies you were hoping for, we didn’t see them directly on the camp site, only when out walking.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Setthorns cattle grid is on the old railway bridge. Everything before that is open access for forest animals, and I believe the pitches to the immediate left of reception have EHU. They do however seem very popular, as is the whole site in winter as it's now the only New Forest site open all year.

Malcolm

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
We were there at Easter and loved how the Deer and ponies wandered about the site right by the pitches and one morning taking our doggie for an early morning walk bumped into a baby Deer on its own in the mist, very cute.

You must have been very unlucky as the site was hardly quiet with all the kids over Easter so if ever there was a weekend for the animals to avoid Setthorns that was it!

From the site you can either walk in the woods or over the hills.

Ground was very wet and no facilities but I would rate as worth a visit.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed at Setthorns a couple of years ago, walked round to choose a pitch, then went to collect the van. As we pulled onto our chosen pitch 2 deer walked across in front of us and we saw them again several times during our stay. We were at the top section of the site, perhaps that makes a difference in wildlife spotting

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
We was pretty lucky at Setthorns, alot of deer walking past our pitch but we found Roundhill campsite and Matley Wood in the New Forest to be best for being surrounded by animals. Also The Breckon Beacons was fantastic for free roaming animals, just keep an eye out for the bulls, they are HUGE and pretty scary.

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I live in the New Forest, moved here and I love more each day, my problem is keeping the beasties out of the garden, they do occasionally find their way round a cattle grid.

IMG_1269_800x600.JPG

2015-06-16 11.51.23_800x600.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stayed at Setthorns in November for a few days, really disappointed it has really gone downhill. Used to go there regularly, this was the first time for 2 or 3 years. Hardly any standard pitches available (we don't do EHU) most of the pitches occupied with permanently sited caravans with awnings and loads of junk around them, looked like a P1key camp.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Stayed at Setthorns in November for a few days, really disappointed it has really gone downhill. Used to go there regularly, this was the first time for 2 or 3 years. Hardly any standard pitches available (we don't do EHU) most of the pitches occupied with permanently sited caravans with awnings and loads of junk around them, looked like a P1key camp.
Totally agree

Malcolm

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
You must have been terribly unlucky because we have always seen stags at Setthorns. However I agree about there being too many permanent set ups there.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
New Forest Caravan Club Centenary Site (REF : NFT)
Forest Road, Bransgore We loved it there .

Kev
Must admit this is not my favourite site in the newforest ,too regimented and too many screaming kids running riot on their bikes for my liking ..but each to their own.. the camping in the forest site just a few hundred yards further on is more to my taste with great walks through the forest ...nice !ittle café and well stocked shop..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back