maunal or automatic on the fiat 130 maxi (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
we have a choice when we bought our new motorhome but yet to be collected, we were told by the dealer that the new fiat 2300cc engine, 130maxi which the van has, have been modified not to judder when reversing as its a 2010 model but our thoughts are, if we decided to take the automatic option which would be more expensive yes, but that the judder does not happen on the automatic at all, does anyone know if this is the case or not or have we been deceived by the dealer, its still not too late to decline the van (after losing the deposit mind), we would appreciate some feedback on anyone who has got either. Tricia

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why are you asking :Eeek:

Go for the automatic every single time doesnt matter if its a Fiat, Ford, Merc or Talbot why would you want the messing around with clutches etc.:cry:

Its a no brainer and you will get your money back when you sell it as auto motorhomes are few and far between and sell at a premium :thumb:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Why are you asking :Eeek:

Go for the automatic every single time doesnt matter if its a Fiat, Ford, Merc or Talbot why would you want the messing around with clutches etc.:cry:

Its a no brainer and you will get your money back when you sell it as auto motorhomes are few and far between and sell at a premium :thumb:

only driven an automatic a short time caravan manoevering course at the NEC, (couldnt reverse, kept snaking) not sure about reversing uphill, why are they so hard to come by? and why do they keep the price more?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi is it a fully automatic i.e. P-R-N-D-1-2-3 ETC. or the 6 speed manual with an auto clutch.
there are some threads on here from people with the 160 - 3 litre about its predetermined engagement speed and the way it takes over the engine revs.
personally i feel if it is the fully auto with you not having to change gear for it it should be fine.
however if its the comfort-matic i believe you have to change gear manually just have no clutch so don't really see the advantage.

andy.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Not having any machanical opinion but I will have an automatic anytime if I can afford it. IN any case a new vehicle is under warrenty, so what can go wrong.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Only comment about the Comfortmatic is that it can be slightly lumpy on changing gear if you give it too much welly boot, same with the Merc version.

Unlike the standard auto boxes, it will not stop you rolling forwards or backwards on slopes so you do need to use the footbrake or handbrake instead.

As to autos being hot sellers, I thought so too but have not found that to be the case, I have always looked for autos but they don't go out the door any faster than manuals!

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only comment about the Comfortmatic is that it can be slightly lumpy on changing gear if you give it too much welly boot, same with the Merc version.

Unlike the standard auto boxes, it will not stop you rolling forwards or backwards on slopes so you do need to use the footbrake or handbrake instead.

As to autos being hot sellers, I thought so too but have not found that to be the case, I have always looked for autos but they don't go out the door any faster than manuals!

Peter
Bet they would at the same price :ROFLMAO:
terry

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Peter. The reason why people aren't buying autos is that you have to wait 6 months to get one. Mine ordered in October is being picked up on 1 April. Many people will not wait that long.

All the comments I have read about the Comfortmatic are positive including a guy on another forum who manages a fleet of them.

Incidentally during my research I found many dealers - including one on this forum -claimed that the 2.3 did not judder and only owned up to the fact when Fiat announced a fix. So, whatever you buy, ignore what the dealer says and do your own research, and in my case I found nobody had a bad word to say about the auto.

In terms of part exchange dealers were falling over backwards to take mine in part exchange. The fact it was an auto was a definite plus so Peter's experience is certainly not mine.

Incidentally, Tricia the automatic is not available with a 130 engine as per your heading. You have to upgrade to a 3 litre 160 engined model.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
cant work out why there is such a differance in price between a manual fiat and a comfortmatic on the commercial sister its about £1300 differance

saying that if i am in a position i will buy a fiat or renault auto next time

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

left foot brake, right foot gas, been driving auto as long as i can remember Left hand/right hand free also (in light traffic of course)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I went for the comfortmatic I do not regret it the changes are very smooth if you get the chance to drive one I think you would be surprised at how nice they drive, if you can afford it my advice is go for the comfortmatic

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
hi is it a fully automatic i.e. P-R-N-D-1-2-3 ETC. or the 6 speed manual with an auto clutch.
there are some threads on here from people with the 160 - 3 litre about its predetermined engagement speed and the way it takes over the engine revs.
personally i feel if it is the fully auto with you not having to change gear for it it should be fine.
however if its the comfort-matic i believe you have to change gear manually just have no clutch so don't really see the advantage.

andy.

Link Removed

yes it is a 160/3litre engine and after reading replies and after reading that the upgrade would be £3,777 think will this be worth it? And we think we will stick with the 130 but want to find out about the judder if it still happens on the new engines so will have to test drive it before paying out the balance, can the van be rejected on the test drive results I wonder, even if the deposit has been paid?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Peter. The reason why people aren't buying autos is that you have to wait 6 months to get one. Mine ordered in October is being picked up on 1 April. Many people will not wait that long.

Hi,

I dont order that many brand new vans, we have a new Autocruise Startrail Automatic Motorhome in stock plus several automatic Merc based vans including a superb Autotrail Arapho, be interesting to see how quickly they sell!

Peter

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
yes it is a 160/3litre engine and after reading replies and after reading that the upgrade would be £3,777 think will this be worth it? And we think we will stick with the 130 but want to find out about the judder if it still happens on the new engines so will have to test drive it before paying out the balance, can the van be rejected on the test drive results I wonder, even if the deposit has been paid?

As long as the purchase is subject to a satisfactory test drive.

dav b

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Norfolk/
Funster No
Exp
Several
i have bessacar e769 on fiat ducato 3litre with comfortmatic box this is an excellent box i tend to manual shift up as this improves mpg and leave auto to downshift, there is no reverse judder and on up shifts this box is very smooth this is my preference but to use fully auto all time is absaloughtly fine,the extra cost is well worth the spend.:thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
You might have a long wait for a Swift Mondial RL with auto box. I had to wait 6 months for mine. You could try e mailing Swift to ask which dealers are likely to be taking delivery of these vehicles in the near future. They are pretty good at dealing with such enquiries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back