Germany require us to show an Emissioins disc (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2016
New Forest , Hampshire .
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Still very new , since September 2012
Sorry if I have missed this item before , but just seen it on a Campsite blog. Apparently easily available from any German car dealer for €5 having showing your V5 to the dealer ?. I own a German van and haven't heard anything from them ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are talking about an "umwelt" or German city emissions sticker, if you think you need one you can get them online by scanning and sending a copy of your V% document or you can call in at a German MOT centre they call them TUV I think.

I think if you have a read here it will become clear,

Broken Link Removed

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You are talking about an "umwelt" or German city emissions sticker, if you think you need one you can get them online by scanning and sending a copy of your V% document or you can call in at a German MOT centre they call them TUV I think.

Broken Link Removed

Martin
That's way over the top Martin, the Berlin office charge €6 including postage or €5 from any car dealer or TUV office.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

Broken Link Removed

Martin

That's a rip off. Only about £5 including post

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's way over the top Martin, the Berlin office charge €6 including postage or €5 from any car dealer or TUV office.
Hi Lenny

I knew there was someplace cheaper but couldn't remember where, I also knew that some charged a lot more than this, thought you would keep me right(y) I think the one I linked has gone up a fair bit since I used it. Can you actually do these stickers at a car dealership as well as TUV test station?

Martin

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Hi Lenny

I knew there was someplace cheaper but couldn't remember where, I also knew that some charged a lot more than this, thought you would keep me right(y) I think the one I linked has gone up a fair bit since I used it. Can you actually do these stickers at a car dealership as well as TUV test station?

Martin
No it must be a TUV office/test station. Disc only required within some (quite a lot) of towns and cities. Worth getting as it is 1 less thing to worry about.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny
Martin
Yes any main car dealer.

No it must be a TUV office/test station. Disc only required within some (quite a lot) of towns and cities. Worth getting as it is 1 less thing to worry about.
Nope, you can go into any main car dealer and get one. Best to do it in Western Germany not the East as I found out their second language is Russian and as my V5 didn't have any emissions on it caused a bit of confusion but I got one it was a Seat car dealer.

OP
OP
O
Oct 21, 2016
New Forest , Hampshire .
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
Still very new , since September 2012
Are we sure about this? Here is the nation who's leading vehicle manufacturer has lied about emissions for years. When does it / did it come into force ? If it were a national scheme it would be neare 50 euro not 5 ? My scam detection ha S been alerted .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If you go to link I provided you will see its on EU website , and its been going a long while now ,but is accelerating and being taken up in many EU countries. Its one of the reasons I carry a scooter on the rear of my RV :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are we sure about this? Here is the nation who's leading vehicle manufacturer has lied about emissions for years. When does it / did it come into force ? If it were a national scheme it would be neare 50 euro not 5 ? My scam detection ha S been alerted .
Been in force since I think 2008.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you need to turn down the sensitivity of your scam detector;)

Martin

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Yes any main car dealer.

Nope, you can go into any main car dealer and get one. Best to do it in Western Germany not the East as I found out their second language is Russian and as my V5 didn't have any emissions on it caused a bit of confusion but I got one it was a Seat car dealer.
You may well be correct but my attempts at 4 dealerships in Frankfurt got me nowhere except directions to TUV station. With benefit of hindsight I would use web and get it from
Berlin. Only takes a few days to come through.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
see Thread - Air Quality Certificate France

These what you need

DSC02305.JPG

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just noticed that you can get if from a Tuev North and South. Do you need one for the north and another for south or can you just get one for the whole country from either of them?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Same one covers all of Germany. (Edit Lenny beat me to it!)

Just to muddy the waters, France is into it now - see Stealaway's pic above.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Worth getting provided your motorhome is Euro 4 or better. If yours is Euro 3 or worse, don’t bother as hardly any zones now admit yellow (3) or red (2) stickers.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Som

Some cities in France are introducing emission zones the same as Germany. Not many yet but more are planned. Search "critic'air"
Have recently acquired French crit air sticker.. As you say not required in many places yet but worth getting now to save future hassle. Cost €4.80 on government website, took less than a week to arrive. Got 3 sheets of payment and delivery info but no web site quoted, sorry. Make sure you use French government site and only pay €4.80, as with most things there are sites that do it for you for a fee, avoid.
Italy is also gradually introducing similar system, still working on learning about that.
Sorry missed @SandJ post they have the web site address, well done.

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Gents... please can u clarify this for me... I am a newbie... I plan to tour Germany and France later this year... do I need to get a sticker for my UK registered van before I go... or is this just for vans registered in Germany and France??

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It doesn’t matter where the van is registered, but you only need the sticker to enter low emission zones. Stay out of them and you don’t need a sticker.

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
Ah... OK... so I assume low emission zones tend to be big towns and cities... but on the other hand for a few euros and and a bit of forward planning.... mind u my van is Old 2001 so maybe its got high emissions and I cant get in even with a sticker... hmmm

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Another question; I think it said on the Tuev website that the emission stickers lasts for the life-time of the vehicle. Is that the case for Germany and does it also apply for France and Italy when you've got theirs?
We're also going to Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. I think you only need a vignette for each of these countries for travelling on motorways and express ways not an emission sticker. Can anyone confirm that please?
Life is so complicated now!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ah... OK... so I assume low emission zones tend to be big towns and cities... but on the other hand for a few euros and and a bit of forward planning.... mind u my van is Old 2001 so maybe its got high emissions and I cant get in even with a sticker... hmmm

As far as I'm aware the French Ones are only required if you travel into certain city centres at a time when pollution is high. They may only be required for a couple of hours when weather conditions and traffic build up are high.

Personally there's no way we'd go into a city centre and especially not in the rush hour!

Folk seem to be buying them 'just in case' but I'd think in reality they wouldn't be needed.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As far as I'm aware the French Ones are only required if you travel into certain city centres at a time when pollution is high. They may only be required for a couple of hours when weather conditions and traffic build up are high.

Personally there's no way we'd go into a city centre and especially not in the rush hour!

Folk seem to be buying them 'just in case' but I'd think in reality they wouldn't be needed.
In reality you may be right but for the cost of them they are worth getting you might just stray off course or your satnav throws a wobbly or diverted by an accident.(y)(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, zones are generally cities, more in Germany than France at the moment. With a 2001 model you would probably get a yellow sticker in Germany (possibly red if you are just too early for a yellow). I would not bother as I think there is only one zone in Germany still allowing yellow stickers in. All the others require green. I would not bother for France either as there are only two or three large cities with zones so far, e.g. Lyons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back