dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
looking at grove and dean motorhome insurance .there quote is very cheep .breakdown included and .homestart .they offer a insurance policy to cover one claim if you have a claim and have to pay your excess it covers this .there breakdown uses local garages .have always had insurance with expensive companies that use RAC or AA .but £100 difference is making me think thanks david

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
looking at grove and dean motorhome insurance .there quote is very cheep .breakdown included and .homestart .they offer a insurance policy to cover one claim if you have a claim and have to pay your excess it covers this .there breakdown uses local garages .have always had insurance with expensive companies that use RAC or AA .but £100 difference is making me think thanks david
Have a search for reviews on line. I nearly purchased other insurance from them and quickly changed my mind

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never heard of them but is it a proper Motorhome policy?
A lot of brokers just offer car policies which will not cover awnings, gas explosion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
They are just a broker, the insurance is with a proper underwriter.

I have used G&D for the four years we have had a MoHo. I have never had to claim so cannot comment on how efficient they are in that regard. We had one cause to call the breakdown repair while we were in the north east and a local repairer was with us in less than an hour and had us going in minutes (but this was cause it was our first year and like a numpty I left the fridge on 12v supply and drained the battery).

Anyway like you I have always found their premiums the lowest of all quotes I received when comparing them and apart from a few minor errors in transcribing my vehicle details I have found them to be very good.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What happens if you have to make a second claim?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They are just a broker, the insurance is with a proper underwriter.
Is it proper Motorhome insurance?

A big problem of dealing with brokers is they often change underwriters and the policy changes with the change of underwriters. We had this problem with Saga on our house insurance, paid extra for our e-bikes to be covered Europe wide, paid the renewal when it came through. Three months later when I phoned them under the terms of the policy to tell them I was taking the bikes abroad they said they were only covered in the UK, it's in the terms & conditions. Who reads all the terms and conditions when they believe they are renewing the same policy, anyway they gave me a full refund for the 3 months insurance.

Companies like Comfort, Safeguard etc., although they are brokers they deal with a single underwriter and they are specifically set up to deal with Motorhome insurance so I have faith in them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had this problem with Saga on our house insurance, paid extra for our e-bikes to be covered Europe wide, paid the renewal when it came through. Three months later when I phoned them under the terms of the policy to tell them I was taking the bikes abroad they said they were only covered in the UK, it's in the terms & conditions. Who reads all the terms and conditions when they believe they are renewing the same policy, anyway they gave me a full refund for the 3 months insurance.
You must read the T&Cs every time you take out a new policy or to check an existing one to be sure of what is covered, especially if you maked mid-policy changes. When I recently amended our existing car policy from the Twingo to the Smart car they charged me £25 admin fee plus a small supplement for the newer car (only 2 months remaining on the policy) but when I got the docs through, even though it was still the same policy the excess had gone up from £150 to £550! Needless to say I got in touch and played pop and once I'd got insurance elsewhere they refunded me what I'd paid extra, plus pro-rata for the rest of the policy and didn't charge me the £50 cancellation fee either but if I hadn't bothered to check the details again and assume they were the same we could have had a very expensive policy if we'd had to make a claim!

We also had a situation with our home insurance regarding e-bikes, they were covered abroad (I'd made sure in writing before taking out the policy) but when the renewal came through and rang to tell them we'd got Bromptons instead I was told I could pay extra to have them covered but that would only be in the UK - I queried it as the existing e-bikes were covered abroad so why not the Bromptons to be told that all bikes were only covered in the UK on any new policy but they didn't tell us that when they sent out the renewal notice for what appears to be an identical policy to the old one. Needless to way we didn't renew and I went direct to the underwriter insurer and did it with them for the same basic premium plus a little bit for the bikes which were covered abroad ... why this wasn't the case with what in effect was the same policy with the broker I don't know!

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
What happens if you have to make a second claim?
You can only claim once for your execs back 2nd claim pay full execs .Looking at their mixed reviews on Line not my kind of company .

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Is it proper Motorhome insurance?

A big problem of dealing with brokers is they often change underwriters and the policy changes with the change of underwriters. We had this problem with Saga on our house insurance, paid extra for our e-bikes to be covered Europe wide, paid the renewal when it came through. Three months later when I phoned them under the terms of the policy to tell them I was taking the bikes abroad they said they were only covered in the UK, it's in the terms & conditions. Who reads all the terms and conditions when they believe they are renewing the same policy, anyway they gave me a full refund for the 3 months insurance.

Companies like Comfort, Safeguard etc., although they are brokers they deal with a single underwriter and they are specifically set up to deal with Motorhome insurance so I have faith in them.

As I said the policy is with an underwriter. Ours is with Aviva, so I am pretty confident it is a proper motorhome insurance. As I say touch wood we haven't had to claim so...... you pays your money and takers yer chances!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As I said the policy is with an underwriter. Ours is with Aviva, so I am pretty confident it is a proper motorhome insurance. As I say touch wood we haven't had to claim so...... you pays your money and takers yer chances!
I suppose one thing to consider is what the excess actually is ... if you have one claim you won't have to pay it, but if there's a second then if the cost of the excess is similar to the extra you'd pay for a policy elsewhere then it could prove a cheaper option if you don't have the second claim ... all swings and roundabouts really!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back