Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Last July we gave up work at 55 (well that’s me Bets is of course 21) to retire and travel, this year our son will celebrate his thirtieth birthday and what with our improving life styles (again just mine) coupled with improvements in medicine, it’s not to far fetched to realistically expect to live to 85.

Looking back on all that has happened since our children were born, it’s scary to think we have all that time over again, with no ambition to go to school, get a degree, have a career or even have more children.

Can we just sit in the sun for thirty years?
Is the world (that with good medical facilities) big enough for us to keep moving and exploring?
How to keep the mind active and engaged?
How to stay ‘productive’?

I’m wondering how those, of what ever age, in similar circumstances think about the future?

PS ...... The daily quiz is a good starting place!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Last July we gave up work at 55 (well that’s me Bets is of course 21) to retire and travel, this year our son will celebrate his thirtieth birthday and what with our improving life styles (again just mine) coupled with improvements in medicine, it’s not to far fetched to realistically expect to live to 85.

Looking back on all that has happened since our children were born, it’s scary to think we have all that time over again, with no ambition to go to school, get a degree, have a career or even have more children.

Can we just sit in the sun for thirty years?
Is the world (that with good medical facilities) big enough for us to keep moving and exploring?
How to keep the mind active and engaged?
How to stay ‘productive’?

I’m wondering how those, of what ever age, in similar circumstances think about the future?

PS ...... The daily quiz is a good starting place!
I retired at age 50. I'm 70 next month. I've never been bored. Welcome to the club :D. I need to be 85 before I've been retired for as long as I was in work.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I thought that as well (I was medically retired in my 50s). Now I don't know how I had time to go to work .... always busy, never enough time in the day. I do have a small business but it tales very little of my time, less than an hour a day except at year end :) I am involved in quite a few voluntary groups (so long as I can work at home) and have hobbies. In fact one of the hobbies has become even more than a hobby as I have been asked to make samples for a museum and have been quoted as being an "expert" in the field (haha, we all know about experts!)

In addition I have tried to keep my mind active, learning new stuff like 3D modelling and printing but making useful stuff (for the hobbies) rather than making warcraft models and so on.

If the prediction of life expectancy is correct I will have worked for longer than not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Retiring this summer at 59, was going at 60 but the financial difference is so small.
Hope to be able to do whatever I want till 75, then bit more restrictive till 80.
After that see how we are.
Getting a new MH when I retire and keep it till I cannot use it anymore.
Try to keep on swimming and cycling, not sure if running is an option as recovering from a knee op. Did the European swimming masters last year and the oldest competitors were in their 90's, they had to be helped onto the starting block but in the water were good.
That's my plan for my retirement, keep active, seek out new adventures and enjoy it.
To finish on a sobering thought, I tell the youngsters at work by the time they retire I will be 6ft under.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I retired at age 50. I'm 70 next month. I've never been bored. Welcome to the club :D. I need to be 85 before I've been retired for as long as I was in work.
And if you live to 100, then a fair chance you’ll be back at the start, in nappies ,

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
For me to have been retired as long as I worked I’ll have to live until I’m 112 years old.

John.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm 60 in April and I'm having three month off unpaid to travel Europe.
After that I'm going to ask for three days a week, for how long I'm not sure, just see how it goes. But yes tis scary time.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A bit of gentle well digging, some stone laying on woodland tracks and olive tree pruning with copious spells of lounger lounging in the sun, help pass the time very pleasantly, you know.

JJ :cool:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
@Alistair33 - keep traveling as long as your health will allow.
I retired at 56 and bought a motorhome to travel which we did happily for eight years until declining health meant we had to sell it.
I miss it badly - especially the sun in Morocco during Winter - so just keep enjoying it and have FUN.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
@Alistair33 - keep traveling as long as your health will allow.
I retired at 56 and bought a motorhome to travel which we did happily for eight years until declining health meant we had to sell it.
I miss it badly - especially the sun in Morocco during Winter - so just keep enjoying it and have FUN.
Many thanks

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I'm 67 and I constantly worry there is not enough time left to do all the things I want to do.
Same here Lenny I’ve just gone 68 and wondering where all the time as gone, but when I go I’ll leave a dynasty as We’ve got 5 children,15 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren and a great granddaughter on the way in May.

John.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Retired at 50 now 58 .Dont like to use "retired" prefer life change.Everything revolves around long haul long stay holidays such as
Oz & NZ 8 months using motorhome
Cambodia,Loas,Vietnam,Thailand 6 months
Central America 3 months
India most years
Etc,Etc
Then all the great travels with the motorhome in Europe.
USA & Africa motorhoming now calling.
Running out of time or health is all that can stop us.So much more to explore and experience.
Staying at home would not work for us.Seems travel is our answer to boredom.
Making sure I keep media and diaries to look back on when health brings it all to a halt.
Glad we discovered the motorhome lifestyle at 45 otherwise probably kept working .
So glad we started eight years ago,can never get that time back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back