LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
During strong winds, is being parked on levellers ok, or best to have all wheels on the ground?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
gulf68.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The most important thing is to park nose-in to the wind to keep the van stable, using levellers as necessary - there's no reason not to use them regardless.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I was actually meaning Milenco Quattro’s. Could not move during the night and wind felt like more from the side.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
taking compliance out of the equation either by dropping all the air
out of the suspension (if full air) or deploying the leveling jacks seems to give more stability in windy conditions , or if stopped near road. from my experience .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was actually meaning Milenco Quattro’s. Could not move during the night and wind felt like more from the side.
If you are parked on the ramps and the ramps are on the ground then you are effectively on the ground really, unless of course you have them stacked 3 high.

Martin

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This is not something I have ever thought about. But then I was at home last night when the really strong winds struck. I guess just lying there in an exposed van which the wind was rocking like crazy, your imagination would run riot. I remember being in a holiday caravan on a hillside in a French mistrale when the kids were young. We both were wide awake, the kids fast asleep. The van was really rocking. I thought, I'll start to worry when the van floorboards start to lift. At which point they started to lift. Twas a long night, but the kids were OK.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The most important thing is to park nose-in to the wind to keep the van stable, using levellers as necessary - there's no reason not to use them regardless.
Makes very little difference when up on the jacks and you can not always face the wind especially if on a site.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
If you mean E + P type, rather than Millenco, one of the main reasons I fitted my E + P was the rocking in gale force winds I suffered at Durness January 2015, brilliant they are too
Ohh, I’ve rocked there too, last Easter. It was so blowy that a poor trailer tent family almost lost their very expensive tent over the cliff and did manage to wreck the framework completely. It took 9 of us to hold it down while they folded back in!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Was at a campsite in the South of France a few years ago and almost all the tent campers were wiped out by the Mistral. Tents all over the place and huddles of kids sheltering round the facilities block.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have been on rallies a couple of times when light touring caravans have been blown over an a field away when a static was destroyed. never yet seen a motorhome been blown over in the wind

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Makes very little difference when up on the jacks and you can not always face the wind especially if on a site.
Not talking about jacks :rolleyes:... why is it that people with these posh jacks have to keep rubbing our noses in it! :( Ah yes, I know ... so they can 'justify' the cost!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not talking about jacks :rolleyes:... why is it that people with these posh jacks have to keep rubbing our noses in it! :( Ah yes, I know ... so they can 'justify' the cost!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Not rubbing any noses in anything the OP said levellers that’s what jacks are and I don’t need to justify anything to anyone I got them cos I wanted them(y)(y)(y) so sorry if it offends you:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not rubbing any noses in anything the OP said levellers that’s what jacks are and I don’t need to justify anything to anyone I got them cos I wanted them(y)(y)(y) so sorry if it offends you:)
Didn't you see the smilies ... only pulling your levellers!!!! :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back