Research for cl site (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
ADVERT REMOVED - Admin
We would like to know what people consider to be neccasary on a 5 van site and what people dont like.
For instance .....
Is hardstanding neccasary or do some peeps like lawned.
Are you bothered about not having hook up
Do you like pitch markers or would you rather be able to go were you like.
Do you consider that flowers planted around is nice
Any sensible / serious ideas or suggestions are very very welcome.
Many thanks.
ips

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Mr Ips, well for Mrs Ips site I am sure there will be many different preferences but mine are.

1. I like grass just feels better for me.

2. Love to see flowers around, looks as if someone cares.

3. Prefer electric but can take it or leave it.

4. A nice friendly face who is prepared to give information about the area maybe a couple of printed off walk or cycle rides or bus time table, all relatively cheap but can be a great help.

5. Personally Hubby really likes to park himself one of his pet hates are wardens who direct him as if he has never parked before, with his usual comment of I was parking caravans when they were still in nappy's.

Good Luck the more sites the better. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ips a loo and shower are always nice along with leccy.:thumb:You have a good mix of both H/S and lawned :thumb: Obviously H/S is better in early / late /winter season. :thumb::ROFLMAO:It will take a long time at £5 a night to get your investment in a loo and shower back :Doh:If you are within an hour or two of us at that price book me in :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Carol
Thanks thats exactly the type of input we want.
ips :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi Ips a loo and shower are always nice along with leccy.:thumb:You have a good mix of both H/S and lawned :thumb: Obviously H/S is better in early / late /winter season. :thumb::ROFLMAO:It will take a long time at £5 a night to get your investment in a loo and shower back :Doh:If you are within an hour or two of us at that price book me in :ROFLMAO:
terry

Thanks Terry and thanks for the pm I have implemented your suggestion allready. See signature. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Carol
Thanks thats exactly the type of input want.
ips :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb: now I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE getting my little purple book out :thumb:
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ive always thought it a good idea to charge £5/7 a night .
Then on top of that charge each MH caravan for the electricity they use. Can this be done?
Also a coin operated shower , that way if we use your power we pay extra.
I think its a lot farer that way .

We have diesel heating , a fridge that can run on gas/ electric , Gas oven and hob and those energy efficient bulbs in everything. Solar panel and 2 very good Trojan batteries.
We don't use , well very rarely use , the public facilities.
Were also out most of the day .So we rarely use any power on a weekend site stop over , prefering not to get hook up. But sometimes its only about a £1 cheaper not to have power
Bev

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

If you want all year round business then hard standing is essential and an ehu desirable ..
I would also suggest you if you put ehu in to have leccy meters .. this will ensure you don't make a loss and will please those who don't use leccy

For rallies, a facility for get-togethers is more important than a toilet / shower block.

Our friends have a CL in Colchester and installed meters last year.. the meters are on each post and use a pre paid card which is purchased on arrival, if there is any credit when leaving it is refunded ..

It works well and last season was the first they actually made a small profit .. previous years they made a loss due to the high use/waste and cost of electricity.

They charge £8 + metered leccy at the going rate .. currently 14p/kwh

They also have a free Wifi .. nothing fancy, just the house router which gets to most of the site, this is a big attraction for many

I would also suggest a web site .. this is one I did for them
http://www.thelodgecl.co.uk/

good luck . look forward to visiting some day :Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Great, we are always looking for this type og site since fitting our solar panels and LED's. Too many CL/CS sites are putting in leccie and the price goes up as you don't have the option of not having it. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I very much like the leccy meter idea myself, then you have the option if say the weather happens to be dire or you wish you could do whatever (like stay for longer cos it's really nice, for instance!! or your lappy battery has run out and you have withdrawal symptoms from being unable to access FUN, that can be quite serious you know) :ROFLMAO:

A semblance of pitch markers or a suggestion of 'where people usually park' is handy when you have just a 'space' esp on grass because if they are well used, they do tend to become harder, don't they? which can be good when it does rain.

Flowers - yes please! Me likes pretty. And if it looks like the site-owner has made a bit of an effort then I think it encourages everyone to reciprocate and makes the stay however brief, a lot more pleasant.

Informative notices can be good, eg at one CL we stayed at info re local services, pubs, chippies etc, 'If you should wish to book the indoor swimming pool enquire at blah blah' - we enquired and did so, £8 for an hour all to ourselves, paid in advance, how will we get in? - Oh the door's always open, instructions are on the noticeboard inside - they were. A smallish (but perfectly formed) lap pool with an integral optional jacuzzi, so we had a private naturist swim and jacuzzi, followed by a shower where it was lovely and warm and private! Then fetched a take-away from the Chinese in the village. Another had no sign whatsoever of people, and no apparent letterbox at the house to stick the money in when we left next day. (Yes, we had phoned and booked!) We just left it in the porch eventually. We had no idea before, during or after whether there was a shop, a pub or any other anything, anywhere close. Weird, we thought. I don't expect CL owners to want to be my new best friend, but ..... :whatthe:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I would also suggest you if you put ehu in to have leccy meters .. this will ensure you don't make a loss and will please those who don't use leccy

Our friends have a CL in Colchester and installed meters last year.. the meters are on each post and use a pre paid card which is purchased on arrival, if there is any credit when leaving it is refunded ..

I stayed at the site Jim is referring to in February and I thought the lecy meters was a great idea, there was already credit on the meter and we was asked just to note the credit when we leave and pay what was used.

We was off site during the day but used the EHU at night and over two nights used £3 something. Its good to know the owners are not losing out yet the users are not being ripped off.

Greg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Dear Mr. and Mrs. IPS

Just had a look at the entry on C&CC Sitefinder. Looks like a good location and very reasonably priced. I have made a note as a possible stopping point on the way up, or back, from Scotland.

For winter use, hardstanding is very useful unless grass is well drained and on firm sandy / gritty soil. Also, presuming the H/S pitches are level, there is no need for ramps if one is just stopping for a night or two. Similarly, for short stays in very wet weather, the H/S means there is no need to get out the 'waffle boards' to prevent sinking just for one night.

It is vital in wet / muddy winter conditions to have hard-surfaced access if there is any slope. The risk of getting bogged down going to / from the pitch would stop me from going on (and we have rear wheel drive).

I prefer a CS not to be too regimented in terms of pitch positions, but this does not apply of course in the case of hard standings.

Personally, I am not bothered about an electricity supply, but I guess most tuggers are. I prefer the option not to have to pay for it, or would support the metered option. Often we find we might just want to hook up for a morning after a few days to top up the batteries. This doesn't always sit well with site owners who prefer to have a consistent daily rate, but some are happy. The alternative is to allow reasonable (suitcase) generator use for top-up during the day, NOT to run the TV all night! Of course, if one is just a 'passage migrant' the EHU is not required anyway.

Shower / toilet facilities are not important to us - you have to provide a CDP and potable water in any case as a CS.

One thing that a lot of CS sites don't have is rubbish disposal. I realise this may not be easy without a trade waste contract, but if we are stopping-off during a long trip, it is useful to be able to dump a small bag of rubbish.

A well-tended site is a joy to be on. That doesn't mean it has to be a horticultural tour de force just cared for. In fact, we like a slightly wilder look as this tends to attract wild-life, but some flowers / shrubs is a nice idea.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Philip

sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I must admit that my preference is for the “original CL/CS” idea. That is a level field with drinking water and a chemical toilet disposal point.
A friendly face and “pitch where you like” is also good.
To my mind electric hook ups, toilets and showers etc. turn the place into a pucker campsite and this was not the idea.
Sostas:Smile:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Many many thanks tn everyone so far this is all very usefull stuff. Dont think we will put ehu in yet if at all as would be very expensive. I like the fact that some of you like the idea of propper cl rather than pucker caravan site thats what we are trying to acheive. Got 12 vans on at the moment.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are a SPAMMER - Your research is a blatant advertisement! ::bigsmile:As is your signature. If you would like to support the site please contact me to arrange some advertising.

Thanks

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Sounds great and really good value.

As regards electric, why cant CL's just say its £5 for a pitch and if you want to use the electric its say £8. Why bother with meters and cards etc? Just have 5 electric points and if you wanna use one its an extra £3. Dont need showers or toilets, I have my own, not fussed about flowers in fact the more rustic and less twee the better (for me). Grass is nice and if I get bogged down then its always a laugh trying to get towed off. It was so cold this winter snow was the only issue not wet grass!

Long live the good old CL!! (sorry CS)

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Wildman. Its a c&cc rally so its allowed

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Jim. I dont know why you have done that as you know full well that i asked if it was ok to put it on my sig a few wks ago and you were more than happy. And for the record this post was sincerely meant as a research exercise.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Yeah come on it’s a CS for goodness sake! It’s not like its some major MH Dealer or Haven pulling a fast one. Flipping great that they have posted on here to get advice and start a dialogue as to what people want.

Running a CL must be almost like running a charity for some anyway.

Ive found some brilliant ones where the owners were so helpful I felt guilty handing over just £6.

Not sure when I will be over your way but will definately come and stay if we are.

Cheers
Barry

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Oh and by the way i take exception to being called a spammer, and further more it isnt even my site it is owned by my partner.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Barry you are absolutely right there is no money in it. Its more of a hobby really. Kind regards ips

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dont let it get you down. I guess Jim is just trying to keep things non commercial so try not to be too offended. I dont agree in this case though and Im sure most on here wont either. Anyway your new sig of SPAM SPAM REMOVED is quote cool!

Keep up the good work. Its people like you that make MH camping in this country worth while for those of us who dont want to spend our time on rubbish over priced campsites with too many rules and regs and horrid kids running all over the place.

Cheers
BD

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Ha ha ... Yep your right im getting quite attached to it. Lol

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim. I dont know why you have done that as you know full well that i asked if it was ok to put it on my sig a few wks ago and you were more than happy. And for the record this post was sincerely meant as a research exercise.

Hi, the first three lines of your post could easily described as an advert. In fact it was reported by two members as such. Allowed to stay it will attract adverts from others, who might be advertising for themselves or someone else.

I appreciate CLs, I use them a lot, I know that many of them could hardly be described as a business, which is why I allow CL owners to have a link to their site in their signature. Your post, coupled with a 4 line signature about the site was just too commercial. I hope you understand why it had to be deleted. Thanks

Meanwhile please feel free to add a simple link to the site in your sig

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I must admit that my preference is for the “original CL/CS” idea. That is a level field with drinking water and a chemical toilet disposal point.
A friendly face and “pitch where you like” is also good.
To my mind electric hook ups, toilets and showers etc. turn the place into a pucker campsite and this was not the idea.
Sostas:Smile:

Have you noticed the 'herding' instinct when pitches are not marked - many times we have been the only one on site and in comes another with a whole 5 acres or so to pitch in where do they pitch next door - We are friendly folk but always shake our head in amazement - same in a car park hardly anyone in and you park where does the next one park - right alongside :Eeek:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Have you noticed the 'herding' instinct when pitches are not marked - many times we have been the only one on site and in comes another with a whole 5 acres or so to pitch in where do they pitch next door - We are friendly folk but always shake our head in amazement - same in a car park hardly anyone in and you park where does the next one park - right alongside :Eeek:

Does my head in that. Its because as Brits many feel they have to conform and park in rows all neat and tidy. It happened the other day up in Reeth in the dales. there was one field almost full of cars and the opposite had none on whatsoever. I parked up on the empty field and said to Mrs D "you watch they will all come and park next to us" Sure enough within 5 minutes we had been joined by three other cars. They had a whole field to park in but felt the need to park in a line, right next to us. You cant blame them. They have been brainwashed by the powers that be in this country into following like sheep and towing the line. Sad

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you noticed the 'herding' instinct when pitches are not marked -

The same thing happens on beaches..

You walk 1/2 mile or more away from the crowd, before you know it you are surrounded by screaming kids and dads playing footie, or a circle of German oldies showing off their wrinkly buttocks and saggy bodies :RollEyes:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The same thing happens on beaches..

You walk 1/2 mile or more away from the crowd, before you know it you are surrounded by screaming kids and dads playing footie, or a circle of German oldies showing off their wrinkly buttocks and saggy bodies :RollEyes:

Oi, I'm not German:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back