Mar 25, 2010
The Weald of Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005
Watcha,
We are on our first motorhome, and have just bought a smart car to tow.
Smart.Tow A Frame being fitted + Smart duo box next week.
Help Help, who to use for insurance for car. M/home is with NFU.
So come on back now, as they say in USA, any and all advice very gratefully
recieved, problems, grey areas, good points, Legality or otherwise.
Recovery if problems abroad, we have RAC Arrivals but it seems only one vehicle
gets recovered !!

Thanks and hello to everyone
Bar-Le-Duc

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you are only insured for towing if the vehicle is legally towed. my insurance cover me for towing but when it comes to a car the specify toad to be covered by its own insurance, Toads insurance state covered by the tow vehicle ins, so basically no insurance whilst being towed. get out of that.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Same here....Ya pays ya money and takes ya chance.
Until there is a serious claim against someone Aframing,it will remain a gray area.
One day there will be a precident set, I just hope its not me that has to defend myself.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My RV and toad are covered by the same company, it prevents any cross company claims and liability arguments,
However a grey area has been uncovered whereby despite assurance by the company that both vehicles are fully comp even when hooked up together, there version of fully comp is different to most peoples understanding:Eeek:
THEY are happy to call the toads cover fully comp because in their minds it is
AS A TRAILER:Doh: max payout seems to average £1000
Bryan on here who uncovered this dastardly plot asked about increasing the value of "THE TRAILER":RollEyes: yes sir no problems, what make is it, Brian James,Ifor Williams:shout:
Its a bloody car you stupid *6$!'*&
We await Bryan's outcome
Then I shall attempt to query my set up
NFU by the way:Angry:
Geo

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
no problems

we use a company called primo and have all vehicles under a group policy and rav4 is confimed as fully comp while attached to motorhome under its own insurance for value of vehicle not as a trailer
they cut our casts by a heck of a lot as have 6 vehicles and only 2 drivers so base policy on use of vehicles and have no problems , adding, swaping, changing private number plates with them , always helpful, had 1 claim and dealt with superb
:thumb:
used to find companys could not insure our different vehicle types under 1 company

wildbri

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Funster No
I understand that towing a vehicle on an A frame is not legal, and in Spain only recovery vehicles con tow another vehicle, the insurance companies may take your premium but whether they will pay up if your towed vehicle is involved in an incident may be in doubt.

regards bri

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
I use a trailer and is by far the best way to go as you are completly mobile going backwards as most of us have to do all the time whilst driving around. Using any device that prevents the full mobility of the vehicle must be stupid when viewed long term and is usually a cop-out by those who cannot drive well enough to handle a trailer.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a trailer and an a frame for my toad and I find the a frame much more convenient. With the trailer, space, security and maneuverability on site dampen what is probably the best way of towing as there is no wear and tear to the toad.

OP
OP
Bar-Le-Duc

Bar-Le-Duc

Free Member
Mar 25, 2010
The Weald of Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005
Insurance & A Frame Towing

Hi Dikyenfo
Trailers not a problem as such, (race bikes on trailer to tracks here and France).
However, as we do a lot of " Wild Camping " it`s more a question of what to do with the
trailer when away from "home", thieving swine seem to be everywhere now.
Also the A Frame is legal now in UK we understand from Smart. Tow.
But another big problem is the fact that it would appear insurance companies that will give cover with an A Frame, only do so under third party fire and theft while it is being towed.
Seems something to do with nobody being in the vehicle at the time ??
Once again just another method of getting into your wallet with no payback.

Dry day today, make the most.
Bar-Le-Duc

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
Point noted I have the same concerns as going off shortly for 3 months. I use a wheel clamp and I made a cover for the hitch bolts so that the hitch cannot be un- boltedand the I drilled the hitch handle and wrap a 10mm boron steel chain 1 metre long arount the cover and finish up with a shackless padlock through both ends of the chain and the handle. I also lock it this way while towing as theft on aires etc. is very real despite what some say.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also the A Frame is legal now in UK we understand from Smart. Tow.
Bar-Le-Duc

don't believe them !!!!!

no precedence has been set in the courts yet.

until someone is actually prosecuted and found guilty or not guilty of the 'crime' it will remain a grey area.

i feel another A frame debate coming on soon.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
I use a trailer and is by far the best way to go as you are completly mobile going backwards as most of us have to do all the time whilst driving around. Using any device that prevents the full mobility of the vehicle must be stupid when viewed long term and is usually a cop-out by those who cannot drive well enough to handle a trailer.

I agree totally with Larrynwin's comments regarding the convenience of the A frame.Surely four wheels on the ground is far more stable than two wheels in the centre of a trailer, I do wish however that the powers that be would sort this matter out,I hate grey areas so if the law says I need a trailer then a trailer I will buy.
As for the use of an A frame as a cop out by those who can't drive well enough to handle a trailer then I think you will find many RV er's including myself have hgv class 1 license and still tow with an A frame.

John Pengers.:Smile:

OP
OP
Bar-Le-Duc

Bar-Le-Duc

Free Member
Mar 25, 2010
The Weald of Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005
Insurance & A Frame Towing

Dear Pappajohn,
If you go to Smart-Tow.Com and click on Towing and the Law you will see all the latest
info from the Dept of Transport and also the relevant international info.
I dont see that everything has to go to court to find out if it is Legal, usually that happens
when you abuse the system !!
Anyway, i am going to guess that you know that already, sometimes it is good to have an
" ammunition loader " on board, as long as it gets people out of their chairs from drinking beer and watching TV to contribute !!!!!!!
Lastly, we have taken out comprehensive ins with the NFU, ( who insure our motorhome )
They say after much discussion that we are covered fully comp whilst it is being towed
with the A Frame. We now await this in print, which i have insisted on.
I will let you all know what is the outcome, as this seems to be a small thing which is
potentially very important, and not the least, could be very expensive.

Another dry day, Enjoy.
Bar-Le-Duc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back