Do I need to send in a V70 form when up-plating. (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Do I need to send in a V70 form for vehicle road tax changes when up plating to the lower tax cost rate for 3850Kg ? or do the DVLA just amend it automatically, as telephone conversation with the DLVA left it rather up in the air as to whether I do or don't.

Ready to post the up-plating documents off to the DVLA , so wondering what to do.

Funsters that have been through the up-plating process if you could you please confirm yay or nah please.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I got my new V5 through exactly 4 weeks from sending paperwork to DVLA and got my refund about 10 days later.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If posting anything important to DVLA use Special Delivery. Our V5 went missing in the post.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do I need to send in a V70 form for vehicle road tax changes when up plating to the lower tax cost rate for 3850Kg ? or do the DVLA just amend it automatically, as telephone conversation with the DLVA left it rather up in the air as to whether I do or don't.

Ready to post the up-plating documents off to the DVLA , so wondering what to do.

Funsters that have been through the up-plating process if you could you please confirm yay or nah please.
If posting anything important to DVLA use Special Delivery. Our V5 went missing in the post.
The only reason to use 'Special Delivery' IMV is if its something of higher value but as the V5C hasn't any monetary value you're just paying for something you don't really need, if you don't want to just send it via the standard mail, then instead go for 'Signed For' as that's the important thing - that someone actually has to sign for it at the other end and you can track it.

As for the V70 form, even if you DID send it in they'd ignore it as its a different section that deals with it, just let them do it their 'usual' way.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The only reason to use 'Special Delivery' IMV is if its something of higher value but as the V5C hasn't any monetary value you're just paying for something you don't really need.

Replacing a lost V5 costs £25, and the basic signed for service doesn't cover you for 'consequential loss'. Special Delivery does.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Replacing a lost V5 costs £25, and the basic signed for service doesn't cover you for 'consequential loss'. Special Delivery does.
But as the OP would be getting a new V5C IMV it doesn't matter especially since he should NOT be sending off the originals of the up-plating docs - RM Signed For includes compensation up to £50 anyway.

Royal Mail Signed For 1st class aims to deliver your letter or parcel the next working day and gives you the added benefits of, proof of delivery including a signature from the receiver, the ability to check on line or on your mobile to see when your item has been delivered and compensation cover up to £50 for loss or damage. You get a certificate of posting free of charge when you post Royal Mail Signed For 1st class letters or parcels at a Post Office™ branch. For details of your nearest Post Office branch please use the Post Office finder at postoffice.co.uk.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only reason to use 'Special Delivery' IMV is if its something of higher value but as the V5C hasn't any monetary value you're just paying for something you don't really need, if you don't want to just send it via the standard mail, then instead go for 'Signed For' as that's the important thing - that someone actually has to sign for it at the other end and you can track it.

As for the V70 form, even if you DID send it in they'd ignore it as its a different section that deals with it, just let them do it their 'usual' way.

They don't actually 'sign for them ' individually but by the sack. It actually means nothing if it disappears.

Registered, recorded, signed for, special deliverty; All mean nothing when you get the
" When we opened the envelope there was nothing inside":):):LOL::LOL: No answer to that is there ?
they have perfected the art of excuses.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
One of the main reasons for me using "Special Delivery" is it to make sure that Royal Fail gets it there in the first place as it's fully track-able and it tends to arrive which the others suggested are not.

Not to worry, all copies except the V5C. (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
RM Signed For includes compensation up to £50 anyway. Royal Mail Signed For 1st class ..and compensation cover up to £50 for loss or damage.

I know Royal Mail's T&Cs regarding Signed For and Special Delivery because I send eBay parcels by them almost every day. The £25 cost of replacing a V5c is consequential loss, ie a service you pay for later as a consequence of RM losing the original. Signed for only covers you for the original cost of the thing you sent, so you'd get nothing for a lost V5c using that service. Special Delivery would compensate you for the replacement.

Another thing - Royal Mail are as tight as it gets when it comes to compensation. For example, claim for a lost item that's been bid up to £50 on eBay and they will only compensate you for what it cost you to buy it, and will demand a receipt as proof. They've just lost a vintage collectable item I sent tracked and signed to France that was bid up to £36 on eBay. It was bought by a deceased family friend ages ago so there's no receipt. Despite RM offering compensation up to £50 I am highly unlikely to get the current market value back, so that's my loss, despite paying extra for them to compensate me. When a mobile phone I bought in a job lot, sold on eBay for £50, and sent by Signed For got nicked at one of their sorting offices they sent me a measly book of stamps as 'compensation'. I only got my £50 back when I mentioned Trading Standards to them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They don't actually 'sign for them ' individually but by the sack. It actually means nothing if it disappears.

Registered, recorded, signed for, special deliverty; All mean nothing when you get the
" When we opened the envelope there was nothing inside":):):LOL::LOL: No answer to that is there ?
All very true in fact it is even worse, Signed for are signed for by the sack full at the local Royal Mail sorting office before they get to DVLA.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know Royal Mail's T&Cs regarding Signed For and Special Delivery because I send eBay parcels by them almost every day. The £25 cost of replacing a V5c is consequential loss, ie a service you pay for later as a consequence of RM losing the original. Signed for only covers you for the original cost of the thing you sent, so you'd get nothing for a lost V5c using that service. Special Delivery would compensate you for the replacement.

Another thing - Royal Mail are as tight as it gets when it comes to compensation. For example, claim for a lost item that's been bid up to £50 on eBay and they will only compensate you for what it cost you to buy it, and will demand a receipt as proof. They've just lost a vintage collectable item I sent tracked and signed to France that was bid up to £36 on eBay. It was bought by a deceased family friend ages ago so there's no receipt. Despite RM offering compensation up to £50 I am highly unlikely to get the current market value back, so that's my loss, despite paying extra for them to compensate me. When a mobile phone I bought in a job lot, sold on eBay for £50, and sent by Signed For got nicked at one of their sorting offices they sent me a measly book of stamps as 'compensation'. I only got my £50 back when I mentioned Trading Standards to them.
There are occasions when Special Delivery is more appropriate but this is a V5C we're talking about, not the crown jewels and as the OP will be getting a new V5C anyway I don't see this as an issue after all the old one won't be valid anyway once the change is done and DVLA will still do the weight change without it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

In which case do what I suggested and just use standard First Class ... I don't understand why you'd want to pay a lot more for the sake of it by using Special Delivery in this case as IMV there is simply no need.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
All very true in fact it is even worse, Signed for are signed for by the sack full at the local Royal Mail sorting office before they get to DVLA.

I recon you might be right there, have a look at the time it was signed for as delivered. :eek:

trackandtrace.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back