Brownhills what a waste of time just shocking (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Well I purchased a brand new Rapido motorhome from Brownhills 18 months ago only to find the grey water tank was leaking but not from the drain point. I took it back on visit 1 and provided video and photo support to show them where it was leaking. I was told by Brownhills it was just rain water trapped in between the tank and the outer cover I assured them it was more than this but they were adamant this was the problem.

I collected the vehicle and next time we used it same again water leaking out so I left it for 6 months as I could not get back over, anyway I returned it again for a 2nd time and this time I was told it needed a new inspection cover as it was faulty but it would be 6 weeks before they could get one so I collected the vehicle and waited for a call. They rang and told me the part had come in and to bring it back for fitment but its a 3 hr round trip for me so I said I would fit it myself. They said I could but the part would no longer be under warranty due to me fitting it and I had to pay the postage to have it sent out.

I paid for the part to be delivered and I set about fitting it but when I removed the old one it was loose and had not been tightened up and I could see where it had been leaking. I went to fit the new part and it was wrong and too big so would not fit well I was fuming to say the least. I then looked at the old inspection cover and could see nothing wrong with it so I gave it a wipe and cleaned the seal then I re fitted the old cover tightened it up nicely and filled the grey tank to the brim, it has now been full for 48 hrs and not lost a drop so after all this and 2 visits to there workshop all it was was a loose inspection cover that just needed an 8th of a turn.

Needless to say I am not impressed with the service I have received from Brownhills or there attitude when discussing the problem from the off.

LB

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well I purchased a brand new Rapido motorhome from Brownhills 18 months ago only to find the grey water tank was leaking but not from the drain point. I took it back on visit 1 and provided video and photo support to show them where it was leaking. I was told by Brownhills it was just rain water trapped in between the tank and the outer cover I assured them it was more than this but they were adamant this was the problem.

I collected the vehicle and next time we used it same again water leaking out so I left it for 6 months as I could not get back over, anyway I returned it again for a 2nd time and this time I was told it needed a new inspection cover as it was faulty but it would be 6 weeks before they could get one so I collected the vehicle and waited for a call. They rang and told me the part had come in and to bring it back for fitment but its a 3 hr round trip for me so I said I would fit it myself. They said I could but the part would no longer be under warranty due to me fitting it and I had to pay the postage to have it sent out.

I paid for the part to be delivered and I set about fitting it but when I removed the old one it was loose and had not been tightened up and I could see where it had been leaking. I went to fit the new part and it was wrong and too big so would not fit well I was fuming to say the least. I then looked at the old inspection cover and could see nothing wrong with it so I gave it a wipe and cleaned the seal then I re fitted the old cover tightened it up nicely and filled the grey tank to the brim, it has now been full for 48 hrs and not lost a drop so after all this and 2 visits to there workshop all it was was a loose inspection cover that just needed an 8th of a turn.

Needless to say I am not impressed with the service I have received from Brownhills or there attitude when discussing the problem from the off.

LB
So what you have just learnt if you didn't know already "if you want a job doing right do it yourself"

Well done BTW

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

LB
Why not give them a review

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/reviews/brownhills-motorhomes.7/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Dave

It leaked from day one when I picked it up from new, I gave them 2 chances to put it right surely its not really my job to get underneath a brand new vehicle remove an inspection plate from the outer tank then check the inspection cap on the actual grey tank.

As we all know these vehicles are not cheap and I feel the service I received has been poor when spending close to 70k they were very nice and nothing was too much trouble when I ordered the vehicle and was spending a good chunk of money but as soon as I need a problem sorting after giving them 2 attempts at it they still could not put it right, that's my gripe I could understand if it was a difficult technical engine fault but this was just a bung that was loose.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hmmmmmm......not sure they deserve a bad review if you didn't check that everything was tight when you first noticed a leak.........just sayin.........!!!

It was a new vehicle and they were adamant that it was rain water causing the issue p**s poor service in my opinion.

Just saying

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes but would such checks come under PDI as well?
Doubt it. To check they would have had to fill the grey water tank and I can't see that being part of a PDI. Their response to the fault sounds inadequate but the original cause is Rapido's fault I think.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
In my view shocking but not in the least surprised...
It involved a bit work...that seems to be enough to put a lot o places off..
Cause they can't really charge for it....
Agree with martin... if you want something sorting do it yourself if you can, but appreciate that after spending that sort of money you would expect better back up service..
Andy..

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I know during the PDI process carried out by our supplying dealer, they filled both fresh and grey tanks, I only know this because I was there every five minutes once I knew they had taken delivery:D

Glad to hear you got it sorted and hope they will be reimbursing you the postage costs!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
If we spent upward of £70K for a new car, it would be spot on, built to a high standard and come with a hefty warranty.

All to often those that supply us our motorhomes, are only to glad to take the money, but time and time again, we hear of them shying away from a decent level of aftercare service.

Same with the manufacturers, none of them are perfect, which is a shame considering the price we pay for leisure.

I'd be putting in the review as a negative. Let those reading decide. It's only then that dealers will take note and change their attitude.

Look how Trip Advisor has improved so many places, there's power in supplying reviews for us all to read, both good and bad.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
HERE we go again let me tell you all again for £1.00 a week =£52 .00 per year we all pay per year into a m/h fund when we have a problem with our NICE m/h dealer we use the fund to send them a NICE solicitors letter to our nice m/h dealer as a club with a lot of members it will only take a few times we do this and it will soon get around the NICE m/h dealers not to ferk with m/h fun members ray xx lol still lol and it would go to the manufacturer as well and maybe in a 100 years time they may build a m/h fit for work:active::restmycase::swear2::boxing::groan: :doh::doh:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Cause they can't really charge for it....

Not too sure that's right Andy. Does a retailer not have a system of charging the manufacturer if there is a warranty issue, I suspect the warranty is with the manufacturer (new vehicle) and not the sales company.

Phil

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not too sure that's right Andy. Does a retailer not have a system of charging the manufacturer if there is a warranty issue, I suspect the warranty is with the manufacturer (new vehicle) and not the sales company.

Phil
That occurrd to me that they might recover some cost from the manufacturer... but suspect it isn' enough for them... if not what other reason can you give for them been so reluctant to do what a bit of common sense tell you is necessary.
Andy.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I would never recommend motorhoming to anyone who does not have )
A) a toolbox
b) Some minor knowledge of DIY.

I would never trust a dealer to put anything right. You wonder if they actually got this thing on a ramp, filled the waste tank with water, checked where it was leaking and just tightened the screw/bolts. 10 min job could have save the OP an awful lot of time

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If we spent upward of £70K for a new car, it would be spot on, built to a high standard and come with a hefty warranty.
Sadly not the case.

I have had major issues with Porsche and Mercedes both with warranty and after sales service, and also serious issues with Mercedes who produced a seven speed gear box in their GL420 V8 range and despite several firmware updates and physical upgrades deemed it a "known fault" and refused to continue to attempt to resolve it, despite the car being (at this point less than a year old and one year into a three year warranty

The marine industry is even worse

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Sadly not the case.

I have had major issues with Porsche and Mercedes both with warranty and after sales service, and also serious issues with Mercedes who produced a seven speed gear box in their GL420 V8 range and despite several firmware updates and physical upgrades deemed it a "known fault" and refused to continue to attempt to resolve it, despite the car being (at this point less than a year old and one year into a three year warranty

The marine industry is even worse
My experience too.. I’ve recently got my money back on a six figure Range Rover that was riddled with electrical faults. 9 trips to the dealer in as many weeks was more than enough!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Mercedes(Daimler Chrysler) was a nightmare to deal with for warranty work , and that was as the dealer . Tata was the opposite , mind you they needed to be !

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Brownhills go back over 25 years for being bad at most things. Many years ago they promised to change there attitude but profit is such a drug. They used to have dealerships all over the country but now have one so how the mighty fall. I had a very bad experience with them in 1994 and have never returned.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The Brownfools website is still up and running tee hee. Comes up on Google :D2

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We had a leak from our washroom sink waste pipe, OH took off 1 panel in garage, but leak was further in. Took van to Chelston and they checked and found waste pipe had not been properly connected.
However we later discovered that second key was not coded with master key and although it would open the doors it would not turn over the engine. As this was an issue with the Fiat van we took it to the main local dealer 6 miles up the road to be sorted. They found that the key could not be coded and a new key was needed. Fiat said it would have to be authorised by Chelston as they hold the warranty for our van.
Chelston refused to pay what they considered an inflated sum for half an hours work to code the key and expected us to drive 75 miles to let them do it. I dug my heels in and said if a main dealer cannot code the key and needs a new one how did they think their workshop would have any better chance of doing it. They claimed they didn't know that Vospers had already tried and failed to code the key and thought they had loaded the cost of a simple half hour job. I told them if they expected us to go to them we would expect them to pay the fuel costs. They agreed to obtain a new key, which they would send to us in the post so that we could take it to Vospers for coding.
Surely this was a Fiat issue and the cost should be met by them, not Chelston so I can't understand why Chelston had to agree to meet the cost, unless, and I may be being cynical here, Vospers will make a claim to Chelston, who will then make a claim to Fiat, but of course Chelston will not inflate the cost will they?

Vospers also checked the Fiat recall and we need parts replaced, we are just waiting for all the bits to arrive, no suggestion from Fiat that we had to take the van to Chelston for this to be done.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We bought our Rapido from Brownhills 7065ff and that was four years ago, we have always used them for service, and hab checks, bent over backwards for us on more than one occasion, and even give us the use of one of the bungalows that they have on sight, rather than sit around in reception waiting for you motor home to be returned, we also live a long way from Newark (east Kent) used to have one in Canterbury, but closed down , but they do have two depots still, Speak as you find i say, I know worse dealers(y)

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We have made numerous warranty claims for our numerous van issues. I'm actually looking forward to the day the warranty expires. At least then we will avoid the 'just in time' process where it takes months to get the simplest of jobs done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back