Help - Omnistor awning leg support brackets for wall. (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I want to have the option of attaching the Thule Omnistor awning legs to the motorhome wall rather than sitting on the ground. Our motorhome is grey and all the stuff on the outside is either grey or black but Thule only seem to sell the wall brackets in white so that is what I bought. However SWMBO has decreed that they will not "match". I do not understand this concept because I am a man.

Does anybody know if they are sold in grey or black please and if so where can I find them. Or if anybody has a grey or black pair and wants a white pair I can offer to do a swap and my bacon will be saved

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Do the awning legs also match the side colour of the van when inserted to the colour matched brackets, if not is SWMBO going to ask for a respray?
You could consider plastic prime then rattle can spray the bracket?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Have you thought about a set of multiankers?

I bought a set last year for when I want awning out on Aires etc where the base is concrete. They work very well and saves you having to drill the Motorhome walls and spreads the load a bit better than a few screws.

Amazon product ASIN B0716C9QZY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You might be able to colour yours depending on the plastic, the model car racing boys used to do this to plastic suspension arms by boiling the parts in a pan of water and "dylon" colour.

I used the same method to colour carbon fibre parts, purple was my favourite.

Martin

PS if you had Fiamma legs you could use these

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do the awning legs also match the side colour of the van when inserted to the colour matched brackets, if not is SWMBO going to ask for a respray?
You could consider plastic prime then rattle can spray the bracket?
The awning legs are aluminium, so more silver than white I am afraid. I did consider the spray paint option but it is a very fiddly fitting that slides one part over the other. Even if I could get it on all the places I suspect it may rub off from the sliding.

Have you thought about a set of multiankers?

I bought a set last year for when I want awning out on Aires etc where the base is concrete. They work very well and saves you having to drill the Motorhome walls and spreads the load a bit better than a few screws.

Amazon product ASIN B0716C9QZY
They look good. The problem is the rear leg has to go on a narrow strip. The only other place that is big enough to use that would be on the door of the garage, which I suspect would not be very safe and would also prevent me getting into the garage when the awning was up. I am intrigued that they would work on concrete though, I would have thought that would have been too rough to maintain the suction.

You might be able to colour yours depending on the plastic, the model car racing boys used to do this to plastic suspension arms by boiling the parts in a pan of water and "dylon" colour.

I used the same method to colour carbon fibre parts, purple was my favourite.

Martin

PS if you had Fiamma legs you could use these
Martin, interesting way to try to dye it, will think about that, but I may have a problem commandeering a pan. Fiamma brackets won't work, because the base plate won't fit. Tried that already and failed.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I want to have the option of attaching the Thule Omnistor awning legs to the motorhome wall rather than sitting on the ground. Our motorhome is grey and all the stuff on the outside is either grey or black but Thule only seem to sell the wall brackets in white so that is what I bought. However SWMBO has decreed that they will not "match". I do not understand this concept because I am a man.

Does anybody know if they are sold in grey or black please and if so where can I find them. Or if anybody has a grey or black pair and wants a white pair I can offer to do a swap and my bacon will be saved
My f65 came with silver ones.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Angela mentioned that to me soon after we first met ................. but it only applies to one half of the duo :D2

I know mate but what can I do.....? Sue buys her own clothes.....:D2

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I will inform SWMBO that you think she is sad. I am afraid that I can no guarantee your safety ..............

Please inform SWIMBO,, that the comment was not in any way directed st her!!

PLEASE,,, PLEASE,,,,, PLEASE,,,,

I HAVE A FAMILY !!!!! Xx

I also understand how important it is to be colour coordinated!! ( will that help) xxx

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Plastic primer & appropriate colour rattle cans from Halfords? I've used it for large mirrors & it lasts very well.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Plastic primer & appropriate colour rattle cans from Halfords? I've used it for large mirrors & it lasts very well.
Thanks but see post #5. "I did consider the spray paint option but it is a very fiddly fitting that slides one part over the other. Even if I could get it on all the places I suspect it may rub off from the sliding."

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Thank god!!!!

Tell her that there lovely blue coordinated sheets, pillow cases, quilt cover etc!

And I fully understand her concerns!! Xxx

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks, in that case I may give spraying a go. Did you use any special primer? I already have the ones you linked to.
i sprayed them with a light coat of satin black first then a normal rattle can of the red car paint

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
on a previous van, I sprayed the brackets burgundy to match the vehicle. they were extensively used but retained the paint without scratches

If you are worried the clips are only £11 a pair delivered from ebay
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=172752214518
I’m looking at putting these on my van too. How did you attach yours?

I’m hoping to use sikaflex rather than screw through the van wall. Should then be removable later too.

Ian

Oops, just noticed this is a year old post!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I attached mine by 2 stainless steel bolts through the wall each with a large washer plate at the rear. As well as that I bedded them on Puraflex 40, which is Toolstation's equivalent of Sikaflex. But that was only to act as a sealant.

I doubt that the small area of adhesive would be enough to hold them on when the wind gets up a bit.

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks for the feedback. At this point not sure I’m up for drilling through the van wall. Had enough problems with it to date, don’t want the dealer to have any excuses when I get back to UK for not rectifying it all!

I used sikaflex to mount brackets to the roof of my last caravan, had to cut them off before part exing it. Couldn’t move them by hand, though I doubt they ever had the force the awning in full breeze would exert?

As an aside how did you decide on the height of the brackets on he van, did you use max height of the front of the awning with the legs fully extended or some other consideration?

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
These type of fixings should come with a plastic moulded backing plate and two long threaded screws,
E1959258-223A-43B7-A2A2-B5D902839D11.png

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m looking at putting these on my van too. How did you attach yours?

I’m hoping to use sikaflex rather than screw through the van wall. Should then be removable later too.

Ian

Oops, just noticed this is a year old post!
I used sikaflex and 2 self tappers

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As an aside how did you decide on the height of the brackets on he van, did you use max height of the front of the awning with the legs fully extended or some other consideration?
Nothing as sophisticated as that. I mounted them as low as I could and still be able to get to the rear to fit the nuts and washers. So just above the top of our double floors. Legs are more than long enough to reach even when the awning is fully out.

May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Nothing as sophisticated as that. I mounted them as low as I could and still be able to get to the rear to fit the nuts and washers. So just above the top of our double floors. Legs are more than long enough to reach even when the awning is fully out.
Cool, thanks Peter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back