Couple of questions. (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I ( sorry Goose ) We are lucky enough to be able to keep mhome at home so can put EHU on at any time,and hence battery charging, so what would you funsters recommend as on/ off periods?
Second question do we travel with fridge winter covers on, the fastenings don't look that strong.
PS Have tried searching both questions.

OP
OP
AndyLes
Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
:rolleyes:Sorry asked twice !?! But wouldn't allow post with original title, then blow me it has

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
How often to put ehu on will depend on the parasitic drain from your batteries. I should think on average putting it on a couple of days in a month would keep everything charged up without risk of damage to the batteries.
Some do leave it on permanently but with the float type charger common on motorhomes you could overdo things and lose electrolyte and possibly damage the plates .
I have travelled with winter covers on without losing them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it's a modern motorhome it should have a smart charger so can be left on indefinitely.
If the battery is fully charged the charger will only supply a small maintenance charge.
Water/electolyte is only lost due to overcharging which 'boils' it off which a smart charger won't do.
As a precaution the electrolyte level should be checked periodically anyway.

Think of older type emergency backup lighting batteries in some old buildings....the batteries could be on charge constantly for years and possibly only checked bi-annually, if that often.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Can't really answer your question, although we do keep ours hooked up most of the time.
I really answered because I love you avatar. Just Jane at East Kirkby I assume.

Richard.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In general most lead acid batteries give best service if maintained on a float charge. Most power units cam do this but some may need to have the correct setting applied

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The charger should be fine left permantly on but if worried about just run it one day a week to keep the batteries topped up.
Fridge vent I take mine off when travelling I don't trust them to stay put.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Keep mine permanently on EHU at home with on and 12v s/w down as well. By mistake it was off for a week or two last year (in winter). On switching on there was no charge taken in, the solar panels (2x80) had kept batteries (3x100) topped up.

I do consider it important though to run engine once every month or so, particularly to release the air hand brake that I fear might get stuck on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Keep mine permanently on EHU at home with on and 12v s/w down as well. By mistake it was off for a week or two last year (in winter). On switching on there was no charge taken in, the solar panels (2x80) had kept batteries (3x100) topped up.

I do consider it important though to run engine once every month or so, particularly to release the air hand brake that I fear might get stuck on.
Air handbrake?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I ( sorry Goose ) We are lucky enough to be able to keep mhome at home so can put EHU on at any time,and hence battery charging, so what would you funsters recommend as on/ off periods?
Second question do we travel with fridge winter covers on, the fastenings don't look that strong.
PS Have tried searching both questions.
We keep ours at home and it is always plugged in to EHU. We have a Batterymaster so chargers only kick in when required. Fridge and freezer are in constant use on 240v.
Fridge winter covers - I have never had to use them in even the coldest conditions in the UK. Fridge works fine without. I do use them for washing the Moho. I once took the Moho to a local (high) car wash - the type which has a brush and a lance with soap, water, purified water). I put the covers on but didn’t bother tightening the catches. Then promptly forgot they were on and drove home. One of them was still on when I got home, the other was lying on the road, slightly damaged ( read mashed up!)

Now there is something I didn’t know even existed, but now I do, I really need an air hand brake.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Yep air handbrake on a sprinter 616. Trouble you can't leave it with the handbrake off as you would normally if parked for a long time. Air reservoir runs flat after a couple of weeks. Failsafe is on.

Dick

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Yep air handbrake on a sprinter 616. Trouble you can't leave it with the handbrake off as you would normally if parked for a long time. Air reservoir runs flat after a couple of weeks. Failsafe is on.

Dick
It is indeed a nuisance. I tend to leave mine off as leaving it on wouldn't make any difference in long term. Just start everything up every wee while and exercise it a few times.

@tonyidle . Yes, its an interesting idea, not sure what MB's thinking was behind it. Basically it has a small 12v air compressor and heater/drier which operates the air cylinder holding the parking brakes off. If left for a while or if there is a leak the parking brakes come on. There is a warning light for it. Of course the schoolboy in me rather likes the professional whoosh as the brake comes off/on just like the big boys..:D2 Now if it just had a turbocharger that howled like the older Landrover Discos, that would make my day... brmmm brmmmm(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is indeed a nuisance. I tend to leave mine off as leaving it on wouldn't make any difference in long term. Just start everything up every wee while and exercise it a few times.

@tonyidle . Yes, its an interesting idea, not sure what MB's thinking was behind it. Basically it has a small 12v air compressor and heater/drier which operates the air cylinder holding the parking brakes off. If left for a while or if there is a leak the parking brakes come on. There is a warning light for it. Of course the schoolboy in me rather likes the professional whoosh as the brake comes off/on just like the big boys..:D2 Now if it just had a turbocharger that howled like the older Landrover Discos, that would make my day... brmmm brmmmm(y)
Even better you have most of equipment needed for a big wagon horn ........ :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The normal handbrake wasn't thought to be heavy duty enough for the 6 tonne Marc 616, hence the air one. We had the Hymer S820 616 uprated to 6400kg and we used every ounce of it.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I can see a possible design flaw... sound wagon horn and back wheels lock up.... mmmm:Eeek:
That’s OK, you’re not allowed to use the AirHorn on the open road anyway. Other way around works: you arrive, park up and announce your arrival as you brake. @RVOC

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Daughter bought as a joke present a set of "air horns" for my nearly acquired van that are operated electrically. They play something like "I wish I was in Dixie". That was 8 years ago. I'm afraid they are still in the box.:D

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Daughter bought as a joke present a set of "air horns" for my nearly acquired van that are operated electrically. They play something like "I wish I was in Dixie". That was 8 years ago. I'm afraid they are still in the box.:D
There will others on the forum who might like them. Why don’t you put them up for sale in Classifieds, or just save yourself the hassle and send them to me;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back