2018 anniversary trip 200 / 100 max miles per day for 22 days (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have Vanco tyres Mel.

Where is best to get the gas fitted please?!

Most of us have basic van tyres and don’t have issues, another option to chains are ‘socks’ that sound much easier to fit in the very unlikely chance that you would need them. Only time we drove in snow in France the locals has no idea how to drive and everything ground quickly to a complete stop. I would do nothing, same as we will not be

As for gas we have refillable bought used off a forum member 3 years ago fitted by a forum member at a meet. It did look like something I could even have done myself, but a search on forum should give local options or fitters that come to you.

Bev has just added that you could carry an extra standard Calor cylinder in your garage just in case then you wouldn’t need it :)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Kim H have a safe and good trip, I couldn’t cope wth the two week delay, you would be in Spain a week before you leave if you stuck with plan A and crossed to Calais on 14th Feb (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have Vanco tyres Mel.
Which ones though? We have Vanco Continental Four Season ones so they are meant to be used all year round, I suspect yours are the same so no problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2018-1-13_21-39-48.png

decided on first night location, recalled hearing about this aire from another funster

https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr.../25434/motorhome-parking-aire-municipale.aspx

everything might still change, not even booked the chunnel, for that matter not even decided if Mum is staying at home or off to her retirement retreat, so things very fluid still :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
real planning now going on, chunnel booked for 6th Feb out, 26th Feb return, £230 inc £38 for Lola

first night location back to undecided, we were looking at Canterbury overnight on the 6th, then do our 200 miles into France the next day, now decided (remembered) we are really not good at getting up early, by the time we rise and get to Folkestone on the Wednesday we wold have missed our train o_O more importantly lost the early get go advantage

have now decided to cross at 18:00 on Tuesday, cant do a lot earlier, Mum drop off at Bupa retirement village not before 2 (y)

then possibly against all my better judgement and 99% of forum members who seem to love it, we will over night in Cite de Europe, at least we should get woken up there OK in the morning :)(y)

then last weather check before choosing clockwise or anti clockwise round France, then set sat nag for south or south east and get going, planning on visiting places in a pile of books we now have 'beautiful villages' and 'undiscovered France' plus a lonely planet guide and another book bought on ebay (y) will be too busy reading to travel :)

8AB4700A-AD90-4229-B076-C43CFCDB4C04.jpeg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We are sure you’ll have a lovely time together, what ever your plans. Just remember to post your pics and escapades on here for us in the NMC to follow.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 206738

decided on first night location, recalled hearing about this aire from another funster

https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr.../25434/motorhome-parking-aire-municipale.aspx

everything might still change, not even booked the chunnel, for that matter not even decided if Mum is staying at home or off to her retirement retreat, so things very fluid still :)
David, Nonancourt is nothing special. Why not stop somewhere like La Maileraye or Honfleur. Much more interesting.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
David, Nonancourt is nothing special. Why not stop somewhere like La Maileraye or Honfleur. Much more interesting.

Agree, and difficult entry for larger vans (we have entered via the exit which is much easier )

La Maileraye is lovely , good restaurant few yards away and a supermarket etc all at hand, Lola will love it there ..

Honfleur is good too , wide choice of everything
Enjoy your trip and safe travels

Kath xx.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hoping to use new to us stop overs where possible, we have used La Malleraye a few times will probably do again last stop this trip for brilliant vet , not been to Honfleur so that is a possibility

The really nice thing with a MH is the not booked so move on if not nice when you get there status, then at worst it is dark when you eventually stop and can’t see anything anyway :)

The clockwise route is looking favourite down to Nice then back along med then Atlantic coasts

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ps. Am at Cite Europe right now, it's absolutely fine.

It’s not a security issue for us, just don’t like the location, on way out it’s too early to shop on way back it’s too late, that just makes it a supermarket car park o_O to us

Convenient I must admit for tunnel but we try to return later in the day to reduce traffic issues and going over would normally get to Montreal which we love

Will use it this time and see if I can adjust my opinion :) of city de Europe that is , not the meaning of life :LOL:

Hope your next few days work out well MOT and paperwork wise (y)

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've only just seen this thread David - looking forward as always to reading your adventures :smiley:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hoping to use new to us stop overs where possible, we have used La Malleraye a few times will probably do again last stop this trip for brilliant vet , not been to Honfleur so that is a possibility

The really nice thing with a MH is the not booked so move on if not nice when you get there status, then at worst it is dark when you eventually stop and can’t see anything anyway :)

The clockwise route is looking favourite down to Nice then back along med then Atlantic coasts
The Aire in Honfleur is a bit tatty round the edges, but the town itself is a picture postcard pretty little port.

The West coast route will usually be warmer, but wetter, than the East. The Rhone/Saone valley can be bitterly cold wind, and the A75 over the Massif Central can have snow.

Edit: If you get to Honfleur early enough you can usually bag an EHU. Included in the price.

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
So you finally escaped the clutches of the French dealer. How is the new moho going?

Yup, on the train now. Won't hijack David's thread, but will update my import thread as and when Pete. But to answer your question, absolutely fabulous (y)
If I get the paperwork sorted in time I hope to meet up with David G on his way back up, depending on whatever route he decides on ! I'll be heading back down the A75 via Rouen, Paris and CF to Spain. ( need to stopover at the dealers again as he has ordered some bits for me;))

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you’re final route takes you near Bordeaux you might like to stop here.

Great oysters and seafood restaurants on the quayside

45E92411-B660-4CF3-9F86-6CD75417E3ED.png

Also a lovely Aire at Villandry, with a beautiful chateau and gardens

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yup, on the train now. Won't hijack David's thread, but will update my import thread as and when Pete. But to answer your question, absolutely fabulous (y)
If I get the paperwork sorted in time I hope to meet up with David G on his way back up, depending on whatever route he decides on ! I'll be heading back down the A75 via Rouen, Paris and CF to Spain. ( need to stopover at the dealers again as he has ordered some bits for me;))
Sounds good. Don't forget when you are passing through Kent you are welcome to visit for the night. We can just about squeeze you on the drive.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
If you're visiting any of The Most Beautiful Villages, I can recommend St Cinerei Le Gerei. There's an aire a couple of kms away where you can fill and empty (not sure if services are on in the winter though), but we stayed in the village car park next to the river. It's a beautiful spot with a bistro, again it may be closed this time of year though.
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Kim, looks perfectly placed to go to (y)

and Robert, thanks to you as well, the place we have already marked based on your previous travels, we like the Arcachon area, but Bev really doesn't do sea food unfortunately, not even sitting with me while I eat and she has her preferred previously walking around type meat :) I do like Moules Frites and that works when we eat together (y) never tried oysters and they don't really appeal although other 'cooked' shellfish I do like

Looking forward to our trip now, hope a few places are at least open :)(y)

they usually are, (some at least) this our fourth trip at this time of year in recent years (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Kim, looks perfectly placed to go to (y)

and Robert, thanks to you as well, the place we have already marked based on your previous travels, we like the Arcachon area, but Bev really doesn't do sea food unfortunately, not even sitting with me while I eat and she has her preferred previously walking around type meat :) I do like Moules Frites and that works when we eat together (y) never tried oysters and they don't really appeal although other 'cooked' shellfish I do like

Looking forward to our trip now, hope a few places are at least open :)(y)

they usually are, (some at least) this our fourth trip at this time of year in recent years (y)
David, if you want a culinary experience try the Aire at the Chateaux Marquis de Vauban at Blaye, on the Gironde Estuary North of Bordeaux. Nice free Aire with free EHU, water and dump. It is a working wine Chateaux but there is no obligation to buy anything and they are not pushy. On site they do a magnificent 4 course lunch with different wine for each course all included for 23 Euros per person. Afterwards you get a guided trip around the winery, if your legs are still functioning properly by then. Great TripAdvisor reviews. Well worth it, but you will need to stay for 2 nights to get the best from it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks Peter, we stopped at Blayes two years ago on this trip, must have used a different aire, small fee, no electrics and we got flooded at high tide o_O right on estuary side alongside citadel

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
thanks Peter, we stopped at Blayes two years ago on this trip, must have used a different aire, small fee, no electrics and we got flooded at high tide o_O right on estuary side alongside citadel
Not the same one. We saw that one and did not think much of it. This one is about a 10 minute walk away from that, on the other side of the Citadel. It is in Campercontact. Also don't confuse it with the Municipal Site which is in the Citadel (but that won't be open when you are there). You are only allowed to stay for 48 hours at the Chateaux, so that discourages the long term freeloaders down by the estuary.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
minor development, A + R, the very same Annie and Roger who flew out to join us in Norway want to join us for the Nice bit (y)

They had never heard of Gorge du Verdon, now they have been told they 'need' to go

so looking for a long weekend there around the 17th and found this

lemon festival in Menton next to the France / Italy border :) looks interesting

also found this looking for camping options, which are very limited due to season o_O

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/aire-in-menton.90140/

googled 'motorhome camping Menton France' this came up as first option :)

@chaser @burtonbird did you find somewhere to park? (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
minor development, A + R, the very same Annie and Roger who flew out to join us in Norway want to join us for the Nice bit (y)

They had never heard of Gorge du Verdon, now they have been told they 'need' to go

so looking for a long weekend there around the 17th and found this

lemon festival in Menton next to the France / Italy border :) looks interesting

also found this looking for camping options, which are very limited due to season o_O

googled 'motorhome camping Menton France' this came up as first option :)

@chaser @burtonbird did you find somewhere to park? (y)
Hi David, long time ago now, can't remember the details, we tried the border but it was packed out, as far as I can remember we got a france passion about 5 miles in land right on the border seriously, there was a tape across it one side was fp free but the other side of the tape was in Italy and you had to pay, even if you were side by side to another van(n) in a wood.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
all coming together well now, Bev is really relaxed about the three weeks away, unlike her, hopefully we have now mastered this MHing malarkey :)(y)

but she is really worried about the weather forecast for Tuesday, hints of snow and or ice o_O I haven't dared tell her it looks a lot colder I France next week, although hopefully dry :)

Not even picked night one as yet, but are crossing around 18:00 on Tuesday and already now decided based on weather to go down the east side of France to the med at St Tropez then along the med coast towards Spain, possibly through Spain then back to France at Biarittz then north home, but all very fluid, as said not even picked night one, but think 50 odd miles more or less due east of Calais somewhere (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back