Asus (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Laptop I used to have media player on my laptop but no more.?
Want to play a dvd films etc but it won't.
What would you recommend as a download replacement.
Aso each time I start up I need to reset the time and date as it goes back to 2007?
No computer savy so step by step plain English to a numpty.
Thanks Laurie.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh boy ... I have an old ASUS ... I am always asking for advice on here for it... Good luck ... I hope to learn something from the replies you receive. :)

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
It could be CMOS battery failure:(
Symptoms of a dying CMOS battery include system warnings, lost time settings, programs errors and unexpected shutdowns.
Google search "laptop CMOS battery" for more info and here is a youtube video showing how to replace. If not comfortable doing it, try computer repair shop, shouldn't cost much its only a 15 min job usually.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
OK.

The date/time is probably resetting because the on-board battery is dead. Almost certainly a CR2032 battery but unless it's old enough to provide an access hatch on the underside, you'll need to be reasonably competent to open up a lappie to replace it. There is a lot of help available on-line such as https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Asus+X551CA+CMOS+Battery+Replacement/24938, but this is probably a different model. You need to find the model number and Google CMOS battery replacement Asus {Model Number}.

You can also just flip it over when it's OFF, sometimes there are little sliding catches, sometimes small pozi screws, and then a flap removes. There may be memory cards visible and you may have to remove these to get to the battery. If you do, handle with care and ensure you are well earthed so you don't release a static charge that will wreck the the memory module. If in doubt, take it to a back street computer shop as found in many towns. Do not suggest you go to Currys or similar as they will a) charge you a kings ransom, and b) do their level best to persuade you that it's completely useless and needs to be replaced with the latest and greatest!

As for your first question, VLC is excellent, will play virtually anything (although with odd files you may need to search for and load a plug-in) and best of all, is completely free! (y) Get it at https://www.videolan.org/index.en-GB.html.

EDIT: I see @Tibbo got there while I was typing.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Do you have Win 10 64 bit?

If so, Microsoft Media Player doesn't work with it anymore. As above, VLC will work. Think it's in the MS store.

EDIT - well this is weird. I got the info above from MS website:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/windows-media-player-details.aspx

It tells me it won't work on my PC:
ffffff.JPG

But it does and I have it running (just played a film in it to check) o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do you have Win 10 64 bit?

If so, Microsoft Media Player doesn't work with it anymore. As above, VLC will work. Think it's in the MS store.

EDIT - well this is weird. I got the info above from MS website:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/windows-media-player-details.aspx

It tells me it won't work on my PC:
View attachment 206743
But it does and I have it running (just played a film in it to check) o_O

Windows Media Player works fine with my Windows 10 64 bit and always has done. I didn't have to download it as it was installed with Windows 10. I have never seen that warning message

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
It could be CMOS battery failure:(
Symptoms of a dying CMOS battery include system warnings, lost time settings, programs errors and unexpected shutdowns.
Google search "laptop CMOS battery" for more info and here is a youtube video showing how to replace. If not comfortable doing it, try computer repair shop, shouldn't cost much its only a 15 min job usually.

Thanks guys that's what's wrong with my laptop so now sorce a battery.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Udate found a battery in a nationwide bank card reader same numbers every think.
Just watched utube on how to fit might have a bash tomorrow.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
For effort of changing it, possibly better to buy a new battery from a good source. They are very cheap and freely available. Watch the pound shops etc though. Many are unbranded or have short shelf life left.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Latest up date after watching utube changed the cmos battery and everything is now back to normal :D2
Thanks for all your input guys.
Laurie.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back