LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Advice please, how do I connect my iPhone X to my avtec tv to allow me to stream live footie from sky or BT which I can get on my phone useing my data allowance?
Is it just a cable? Can I use Bluetooth? Do I need to set up the tv in a certain way?

Sorry if this is really basic, but not hugely tech savvy!

Any help much appreciated.

Bill

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Martin, thank you , that’s what I was hoping. Sitting on the CCC site in Moffat watching the spurs game on my iPhone, wishing it was on our 21inch avtec!! It’s now on the shopping list!
Thanks again.
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Advice please, how do I connect my iPhone X to my avtec tv to allow me to stream live footie from sky or BT which I can get on my phone useing my data allowance?
Is it just a cable? Can I use Bluetooth? Do I need to setAs Martin has said... up the tv in a certain way?

Bill
Im impressed that you are using a Iphone X :Grin:. As Martin has mentioned ..A cable with the adapter connector fitted would suffice Bill. iPhone restrict a lot of 3rd party uses ..especially tv :wondering:. We use the same connector for the iPhone 8. It works well.

Kev(y)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
The Sky Go app doesn’t allow streaming via the iPhone or iPad, no cable or Apple TV connection will work I’m afraid.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
The Sky Go app doesn’t allow streaming via the iPhone or iPad, no cable or Apple TV connection will work I’m afraid.
That is correct. However...If you have a laptop connected to the tv via HDMI , you can stream from Sky go app from the phone directly.
If you wish to watch tv via the phone to tv it can be done but not through Sky go.

Kev

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Is it just a cable? Can I use Bluetooth? Do I need to set up the tv in a certain way?

Bill
Having been down this road before sky don’t allow you to stream sky sports, however Netflix & Amazon can be done either throu the Apple TV box or via HDMI
One route is to buy a Xbox 360 (about the same price as a new lead), cheap now the new one out and use the sky go app

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Its interesting this thread has been raised.

I have an iPhone 8 and tried to stream BT TV MotoGP via a cable that charges the phone and plugs into the Avtex via HDMI.
Trouble is the picture freezes but the sound runs as it should.
Any ideas gratefully received.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure why this is similar.
So, just to be clear, you can mirror your IPad or IPhone using this connector. It allows steaming of Netflix but not Sky, correct? If I have Netflix stuff downloaded, I can mirror the content on my Avtex TV, right? What about iPlayer downloads? Cheers (y)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Its interesting this thread has been raised.

I have an iPhone 8 and tried to stream BT TV MotoGP via a cable that charges the phone and plugs into the Avtex via HDMI.
Trouble is the picture freezes but the sound runs as it should.
Any ideas gratefully received.

Not in every case, but usually that is caused by bandwidth and signal strength. The phone 'negotiates' the best picture it can from the speed available, the sound uses much less bandwith. So typically when there is not enough signal for both the picture freezes and jumps but the sound soldiers on. The picture is often lost and returned in stages, crisp to blurred to blocky to stopped.

To combat that we have a choice of EE on phones (3G/4G) and a decent MiFi on 3 with an external ariel. Between them one always seems to get worthwhile reception.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
If the cable connection does not work.
I use the lap top. I pair my iPhone to the laptop and watch on the Laptop. I have 30gig per month on O2 and there is no restriction whilst abroad on download limit.

Hope this helps

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not quite on post, but.
Vanman uses a Mifi on 3 with an external aerial. Is there such a thing as an aerial to boost iPhone connection, I’m only bothered about the telephone reception. I cannot get reception in the house in France.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
There is a firestick app that allows screen mirroring from an iPhone, but I can’t remember what it is called! Works well tho! Will see if I can check later!

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Have a look at airparrot I used that to stream Sky and BT from PC as no adaptor worked, it's a long time since I last used it so not 100% sure it still works.

https://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

As mentioned pc to hdmi works

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
footie from sky or BT which I can get on my phone useing my data allowance?
Just as a matter of interest Dick what sort of Data allowance do you have or need in order to stream?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Both Helen and I have 45gb data only contracts, with Vodaphone (which gives worldwide usage) and EE which is European only. Use it mainly to watch Amazon Prime, i-player etc. Re how much you need, well watched about 3 hours worth whilst at CC Strathclyde Park site this weekend and used c2gb, so you could estimate your own usage from that? It’s also great for listening to music through Spotify. It’s really changed our usage, next time round we won’t have satellite dish, just rely on data streaming, data is becoming so cheap now.

Bill

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
As said previous doesn,t matter what cable used Sky go will only stream at same scale as phone or ipad, no problem with netflix etc, this is a sky blocking device.
Jim

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just as a matter of interest Dick what sort of Data allowance do you have or need in order to stream?

If you are thinking of going down the Data use line. As many know you can now use your contract data whilst roaming in EU(Lets not go down the Brexit issues). The usage is governed by many companies as ' Fair use' So if you have say 30 Gig for use in UK not all companies will allow you to use the 30 Gig whilst roaming, thus restrict the amount of your Data that you can use in EU.
I found to date the only companies that give no restriction on 'Fair Use' are O2 and Vodaphone.
I have O2 and I use all my 30 Gig when in EU per month steaming programs. The plus side of streaming through the phone is that BBC Iplayer works but does not work when connecting to Iplayer using a WIFI location.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
For my older iPhone/iPad I had a HDMI cable to the Avtex TV.

One of these I guess for iPhone X,
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

Martin
Apologies but just to clarify before I buy one, with one of these gismos, lightning to HDMI, I could stream from my iPhone to the TV with mobile data not wifi? Netflix for example - not worried about Sky.

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi, yes I bought the apple cable, much more expensive than eBay ones but I wanted to be sure on quality. We use from our mobile data allowance with WiFi switched off on phone, to date all been great. Don’t have Netflix, but use it with amazon prime. Hope that helps.
Bill

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Just trying to get some clarity on this thread so please help if you can.

In my opinion (and that of the WWW by all accounts) there still no confirmation or clarity of exactly what the lightning gadget does and does not do:-

With reference to the lightning gadget, what I would like to know is, does it allow:
1. Mirroring of streamed content from Netflix?
2. Mirroring of downloaded content from Netflix?
3. Mirroring of streamed content from BBC iPlayer?
4. Mirroring of downloaded content from BBC iPlayer?
5. Mirroring of BT Sport?

With reference to the lightning gadget, what we do know is:-
1. It won't mirror Sky Go
2. It mirrors Amazon prime content
3. Probably won't mirror BT Sport (unclear as yet)

Other things we know but these are not about the lightning gadget
1. Netflix and Amazon can be mirrored using Apple TV.
2. Netflix and Amazon can be mirrored using HDMI. However, it is unclear as to what type of HDMI device i.e. replies do not reference a lightning device
3. Firestick and AirParrot may or may not work, no confirmation

There are replies (without quoting what they are referring to) saying what may or may not work, leaves it a tad unclear. So, if you have knowledge of how to stream from your phone, tablet etc, please tell us:
1. What phone or tablet are you using?
2. What device you are using to mirror (please state official merchandise or copy)?
3. Where to purchase such a device? - link preferred
4. Does Netflix work with your device, yes/no
5. Does Sky Go work with your device, yes/no
6. Does iPlayer work with your device, yes/no
7. Does Amazon work with your device, yes/no
8. Does BT sport work with your device, yes/no

Any other relevant information also appreciated

Thanks for your input (y)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Not in every case, but usually that is caused by bandwidth and signal strength. The phone 'negotiates' the best picture it can from the speed available, the sound uses much less bandwith. So typically when there is not enough signal for both the picture freezes and jumps but the sound soldiers on. The picture is often lost and returned in stages, crisp to blurred to blocky to stopped.

To combat that we have a choice of EE on phones (3G/4G) and a decent MiFi on 3 with an external ariel. Between them one always seems to get worthwhile reception.
As you say, not in every case - we got an eBay one (not the very cheapest,)
and found that even with content previously downloaded to iPad it was a bit jerky without freezing. Decided not to then take the greater financial risk of the pricy Apple cable, but may rethink in view of this discussion.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As you say, not in every case - we got an eBay one (not the very cheapest,)
and found that even with content previously downloaded to iPad it was a bit jerky without freezing. Decided not to then take the greater financial risk of the pricy Apple cable, but may rethink in view of this discussion.

I bought a cable from Apple(Expensive) Did not work for what i wanted(can't remember what I wanted it to do?) Then took it back full refund.
So it maybe worth giving an Apple cable a go to see if it works for your issue.

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi abzsteve, no doubt someone will answer your queries, but if not I will try each of them when I’m away in the van this weekend and let you know definitively!
Well apart from Netflix as I’m not a member!!
Bill

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi, yes I bought the apple cable, much more expensive than eBay ones but I wanted to be sure on quality. We use from our mobile data allowance with WiFi switched off on phone, to date all been great. Don’t have Netflix, but use it with amazon prime. Hope that helps.
Bill

Have you a link to the cable you use please

Ta

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back